Quick Glance: India: Women's Reservation Bill Passed - Slow Progress Expected
- Indian Parliament approves bill reserving one-third of seats in lower house and state assemblies for women.
- Implementation will be delayed until after the next census and redrawing of constituency boundaries, which is expected to take several years.
There are now major changes to driving licenses that would affect ...
Driving license hammer! Major changes planned for drivers - Expert clearly
Quick Glance: Expert opposes planned driver changes
- Tips for saving at the pump
- EU plans extensive changes for drivers
- Changes would affect older and new drivers
- ADAC expert expresses strong opinion on the upcoming changes
Quick Glance: White House monitors House GOP dysfunction as government shutdown approaches
- Biden aides communicate with congressional leaders about extending the federal funding deadline.
- Economists predict moderate growth impact from a government shutdown, followed by potential greater growth.
- The White House acknowledges the possibility of a shutdown, with potential political consequences for the GOP.
- House Republicans are blamed for not adhering to the debt ceiling agreement reached in June.
Ghana's President Nana Akufo-Addo has demanded the payment of reparations to African nations for the slave trade. Speaking at the UN General Assembly ... Show more
Quick Glance: Guinea Junta Leader Criticizes the West
- Population of southern white rhinoceroses increases for the first time since 2012
- African Parks plans to release 2,000 rhinoceroses after acquiring the largest private breeding facility
- South Africa to clear criminal records from Covid lockdown
- Gloria Orwoba faces trouble with colleagues again
Quick Glance: White House prepares for government shutdown as House Republicans lack a viable plan
- Speaker Kevin McCarthy announces that the House will start voting on the latest plan next week.
- The White House is preparing to direct federal agencies to get ready for a shutdown after House Republicans left without a realistic plan to fund the government and avoid disruptive consequences.
- A federal shutdown after September 30 appears likely unless Speaker Kevin McCarthy can convince his rebellious, right-wing faction to approve a temporary funding measure to prevent closures during ongoing talks.
- The standoff with House Republicans over government funding jeopardizes various activities, including military and law enforcement personnel pay, food safety and aid programs, air travel, and passport processing, potentially causing havoc in the US economy.
Prime minister Modi praises bill as "special moment" for his country, ahead of general ...
Quick Glance: Modi presents women's bill in new Indian parliament
- The bill is still far from becoming a law - it would require the approval of both houses of parliament and the Indian president's signature.
- The new parliament building was inaugurated by Mr Modi in May, but until now no business has been conducted there.
- He convened a five-day special session that began on Monday, however, the first session was held in the old parliament building.
- Lawmakers from both houses gathered on Tuesday morning for a photo session at the old building, followed by an event honoring the parliament's legacy in the Central Hall of the British-era building.
Quick Glance: Russell Brand addresses sexual assault allegations
- Brand denied the claims before they were published, emphasizing that his relationships were always consensual.
- In a three-minute video, the actor and comedian did not directly address the allegations but made statements about what he described as 'media corruption and censorship' and 'deep state and corporate collusion'.
- In an investigation by the Sunday Times, Times, and Channel 4, four women made allegations against Brand:
- One woman alleges that Brand raped her without a condom against a wall in his Los Angeles home. She says Brand tried to stop her from leaving until she told him she was going to the bathroom.
Rep. Ralph Norman, R-SC, tells our Amna Nawaz that a government shutdown is "100%" likely due to Republican division over a path to fund the ... Show more
Quick Glance: US House Democrat Foresees 'Civil War' Among Republicans as Shutdown Approaches
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy pledges to hold a vote on the defense spending bill despite opposition from hardline Republicans
- Republican-controlled House and Democratic-led Senate must act to avoid a partial shutdown by Oct. 1
- McCarthy aims to prevent a shutdown on Oct. 1, as it would benefit Democrats
- Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi warns of the impact of a shutdown on vulnerable individuals
#WATCH | Prime Minister Narendra Modi enters the New Parliament building. Track LIVE updates here: www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/parliament-special-session-live-updates-september-19-2023-new-parliament-building-narendra-modi-congress-party-101695081274035.html
Quick Glance: Historic Parliament Special Session in New Building
- First session of the Indian Parliament in the newly inaugurated Parliament building.
Quick Glance: Republican infighting delays spending bills in US House, shutdown imminent
- Republicans in the US House failed to advance two spending bills.
- A larger division within the Republican majority prevented an agreement on a short-term measure.
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy was unable to reach a compromise on a short-term measure.
- House and Senate votes must occur within the next two weeks to avoid a shutdown.
#BreakingNews | #RajyaSabha passes Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam (#WomensReservationBill ) Read more: www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/historic-achievement-congrats-womens-reservation-bill-passed-in-rajya-sabha-101695314340309.html
The draft law on self-determination brings to the fore irrational fears in this society. Why exactly?
Quick Glance: Self-Determination Act: New Names and Gender Entries without Discrimination
- Increased threat scenarios during the transition from the draft to the cabinet proposal
- Transphobic narratives evident in the draft
- Gender is not a choice, but an identity
- Trans*, inter*, and non-binary people need self-determination
Women have a hard time in India, even in politics. Now, after a very long debate ...
Quick Glance: Parliament Implements Women's Quota: Advancing Gender Equality in India
- India's parliament introduces a quota system after extensive debate.
- The quota applies to the national parliament and state legislatures.
- One-third of parliamentary seats will be reserved for women.
- The new quota will come into effect after revising the election laws.
Quick Glance: Biden launches American Climate Corps, inspired by the New Deal
- President Biden pledged to create the Climate Corps during his first week in office.
- A program aimed at engaging young climate activists.
- The American Climate Corps is based on a program that provided employment to millions during the Great Depression.
- According to President Biden's climate policy advisor, Ali Zaidi, the program has broader goals beyond addressing the climate crisis.
Quick Glance: iOS 17: 12 Important Steps After Installation
- Interactive Lock Screen and Home Screen widgets enhance iOS 17 functionality.
- Select Lock Screen and tap the widget box to customize your widgets.
- Customizable Contact Poster in iOS 17 appears during calls, FaceTime, or texts.
- Multiple Contact Posters and personalized Contact Photos in iOS 17.
House GOP erupts as conservatives block defense bill again: To many in the conference, it proved that Speaker Kevin McCarthy has no power to avert a ...
Quick Glance: California Governor to Sign Climate Bill for Companies
- Governor Gavin Newsom will sign a bill requiring large companies to disclose their carbon footprints.
- The legislation could put California ahead of federal regulators in managing corporate climate risks.
- Multinational companies like Apple and Microsoft support the bill.
- However, the California Chamber of Commerce is concerned about increased costs and paperwork for businesses.
Recommended for you