Quick Glance: Former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger Passes Away at 100
- He played a pivotal role in ending the Vietnam War and opening up relations with China.
- Kissinger is the only American to have negotiated directly with every Chinese leader from Mao Zedong to Xi Jinping.
Singapore and Zurich tied for the world's most expensive city this year, followed by Geneva ...
Quick Glance: The Costliest Cities of 2023
- Two cities, one in Asia and one in Europe, are the priciest in the world.
- The global cost of living crisis is ongoing.
- The average cost of living rose by 7.4% according to the annual Worldwide Cost of Living Index.
- The survey for the 2023 Worldwide Cost of Living compared prices of 200 products and services in 173 major cities.
Chinese families are sending money overseas, a sign of worry about the country’s economic and ...
Gold Bars and Tokyo Apartments
Quick Glance: China's Remarkably Low Crime Rate
- China has the world's largest surveillance camera network controlled by the police.
- The homicide rate in China per 100,000 people is about a tenth of the global average.
- According to state records, only 6,522 people were murdered in 2021, which is approximately 80% lower than two decades ago.
- Surveys indicate that people in China feel safer from violent crime compared to most Western countries and elsewhere.
China wants 'concrete' roadmap for Palestine-Israel two-state solution: Beijing calls for a just and lasting settlement of the Palestinian issue.
Quick Glance: South Africa: Be a Messenger of Progress
- President Ramaphosa seeks supporters for South Africa.
- Encouragement to spread positive developments and transform the economy.
- Acknowledgment of colonialism and apartheid damage, focus on economic transformation.
- South Africans are urged to appreciate and spread the progress made over the last 30 years to create a deeper understanding.
Quick Glance: Suspension of Panama Mine's Commercial Production
- First Quantum halts commercial production at the Cobre Panama mine after a court ruling declared the operating contract unconstitutional.
- The controversial contract granted First Quantum a 20-year mining right with an option to extend for another 20 years in exchange for $375 million in annual revenue to Panama.
- Cobre Panama contributes to about 1% of global copper production and about 5% of Panama's gross domestic product.
- Oct 29: Cortizo announces that Panama will hold a referendum to decide whether to terminate the contract with the Canadian mining company.
Quick Glance: The Loss of Charlie Munger
- Renowned billionaire Charlie Munger has passed away at the age of 99.
- His death was officially announced by Berkshire Hathaway.
- As vice chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, Munger was a pivotal figure for the company.
- His legacy leaves a lasting impact on the world of investments.
Beijing has sought to practice “major country diplomacy” on climate issues ...
Quick Glance: UN Climate Talks: Impact of Israel-Hamas Conflict
- International cooperation crucial to prevent catastrophic climate change effects
- Funding for climate action at risk due to Gaza conflict
- Efforts to shield climate diplomacy from war influences by major powers
- Dubai to host UN climate talks, home to the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!