Quick Glance: Ken Paxton acquitted and returned to office
- Texas Senate acquits Attorney General Ken Paxton of corruption and bribery charges.
- Only two out of 19 Republican Senators voted in favor of conviction.
- Impeachment managers allege that Paul helped Paxton with a home renovation and an extramarital affair.
- Whistleblowers reported Paxton to the FBI after discovering an outside lawyer's involvement and Paul's business dealings.
Quick Glance: Alabama Chooses Tyler Buchner as QB Against South Florida
- Tyler Buchner is set for his first start for Alabama on Saturday.
- Alabama plans to make a quarterback change.
- Buchner only played in three games in the 2022 season due to injury.
- Despite throwing three interceptions in that game, Buchner also threw three touchdowns and rushed for two scores.
Quick Glance: Ken Paxton criticizes Biden administration and Texas House over impeachment
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) criticizes the Biden administration and Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan (R) over his impeachment and trial.
- Paxton alleges that the impeachment was a way to get him 'out of the way' after he filed lawsuits against the administration.
- Paxton had been accused of misusing the powers of his office to aid a friend and campaign donor, but none of the articles of impeachment received the required votes to convict.
- While other Paxton allies have also criticized the Texas House for the impeachment, Phelan has stood by the effort.
Quick Glance: Affair a Possible Factor in Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's Impeachment Trial
- The affair is one of 20 articles of impeachment against Ken Paxton.
- Lawmakers leading the impeachment have alleged that Paxton had a political motivation to hide the affair.
- The Senate, which will decide on the impeachment trial, is mostly composed of Republicans, including Paxton's wife.
- The affair took a toll on staff and working hours, as confirmed by a witness during the trial.
The new Texas law, signed by Gov. Abbott, goes into effect Friday ...
Texas waves goodbye to sales tax on menstrual products, diapers
Quick Glance: Texas Abolishes the 'Tampon Tax', Joining 23 Other States
- To date, 24 states have eliminated discriminatory sales taxes on period products.
- A new bipartisan Texas law has abolished sales taxes on menstrual products, making Texas the 24th state to remove the colloquially known 'tampon tax'.
- Critics argue that the tax on period products is discriminatory, considering other items like contact lenses and over-the-counter medications are categorized as necessary and sold tax-free in most states.
- Sales taxes on period products vary by state, ranging from 4 to approximately 7 percent, with monthly costs up to $20.
Quick Glance: Court deems Texas law on age verification for porn sites unconstitutional
- Texas law requiring age verification for porn sites ruled ineffective in protecting minors from explicit material.
- Constitutional concerns arise due to the law's age verification, excessively limiting adult access to legal explicit content.
- Privacy concerns raised regarding age verification.
- Social media sites may be exempt from age restrictions if they do not meet the standard of one-third sexual material, as per the ruling.
Quick Glance: Injuries raise concerns: Browns roster observations
- Grant was signed to boost the return game, but he suffered an Achilles injury in training camp and missed his first Browns season.
- Grant seemed likely to make the roster and lead the return game this year until the recent injury.
- Browns QB Deshaun Watson overcomes a rough start and scores 2 TDs against the Chiefs in preseason finale.
- I feel good about the Browns, but maybe not for the reasons you think - Terry Pluto.
Quick Glance: Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton pursued personal perks using his office
- Paxton receives a lower salary than his top aides
- Paxton used his office to gain personal benefits
- Paxton received gifts and treats through his office
- Former employees report Paxton's questionable actions
Quick Glance: Clarence Thomas acknowledges trips on Republican donor's plane
- For the first time in years, Thomas acknowledges receiving hospitality from Republican megadonor Harlan Crow.
- Thomas is considering amending prior reports to include more private plane travel.
Quick Glance: Tesla taunts Toyota with Tundra-like Cybertruck
- Tesla continues to provoke competitors with another Cybertruck resembling a different pickup.
- It appears that Tesla was taunting Ford with the wrap on the electric pickup truck.
- CEO Elon Musk has expressed frustration with unchanged pickup truck designs for the past 30 years.
- Tesla has recently been using wraps on the Cybertruck more frequently, despite rarely using them on prototype vehicles.
Quick Glance: King of the Hill Voice Actor Johnny Hardwick has Passed Away
- Johnny Hardwick, best known for providing the voice of Dale Gribble on King of the Hill, has passed away.
- Originally, Daniel Stern was intended to voice Dale Gribble, who is a neighbor and friend to Hank Hill (Judge).
- Hardwick voiced Dale throughout all 13 seasons of King of the Hill, from 1997 to 2010.
- King of the Hill is being revived at Hulu, and Hardwick was planned to join other returning voice cast members.
Quick Glance: Biden sues Texas governor over Rio Grande barrier
- The Justice Department has filed a lawsuit against Texas Governor Greg Abbott for constructing a floating barrier on the Rio Grande to prevent migrant crossings from Mexico into the U.S.
- The Biden administration has reported a significant decrease in illegal border crossings since implementing new immigration rules in May.
- Last week, the Justice Department warned Texas in a letter that the state must remove the barrier by Monday or face legal action.
- Photographs reveal 39 fatalities at a migrant detention center near the U.S. border.
Quick Glance: Texas Officials Push Migrants into Rio Grande, Deny Water
- Officials push migrants into the river and deny water.
- Officials do everything to deter migrants from risking their lives.
- Texas National Guard has no orders to push migrants into the water.
- Lack of deterrence strategies makes officials' work more dangerous and difficult.
House Republicans blasted the FBI over social media and ...
Quick Glance: FBI Director Highlights Recruitment Despite Gaetz's Claim of Bureau's Unpopularity
- Rep. Matt Gaetz claimed the bureau was more trusted under the notorious leadership of J. Edgar Hoover.
- FBI Director Christopher Wray brags about bureau recruitment in response to Gaetz's inquiry about Americans' view of the FBI.
Recommended for you