There was dancing inside the Saint Mary of the Rosary Church in Nenagh, Co Tipperary during Shane MacGowan’s funeral as Glen Hansard and Lisa O'Neill performed ... Show more
Quick Glance: Shane MacGowan: Tribute and Farewell in Tipperary
- A photo of the late Irish singer Shane MacGowan is displayed on the day of his funeral procession in Tipperary.
- The acclaimed songwriter and lead vocalist of The Pogues passed away last week at the age of 65, leading to hundreds gathering both inside and outside the church in Nenagh to bid him farewell.
- Siobhan MacGowan expressed that she believes Shane would have appreciated the send-off as a fitting tribute to her brother.
- Renowned for his Christmas song 'Fairytale of New York', Shane MacGowan would have celebrated his 66th birthday on Christmas Day.
In front of his home crowd, Karl Geiger secured the first victory for the German ski jumpers ...
Quick Glance: First Season Victory: Geiger Triumphs in Klingenthal
- Karl Geiger from Germany wins the World Cup in Klingenthal.
- Geiger flies 146.0 m in the final, securing the first German season victory.
- Geiger surpasses Michael Uhrmann's hill record by half a meter.
- Andreas Wellinger confirms his top form with a fourth place finish.
Quick Glance: Scholz: No Reduction of the Welfare State
- Chancellor Scholz emphasizes the unity of the SPD at the federal party conference.
- He assures that the budget crisis will not lead to a reduction of the welfare state.
- Scholz speaks before 600 delegates on the second day of the conference in Berlin.
- He counters the growing right-wing populism with confidence.
Quick Glance: Jon Rahm Joins LIV Golf
- Two-time major champion Jon Rahm, a prominent figure on the PGA Tour and possibly the best golfer in the world, makes a significant move by joining the LIV Golf league.
- Rahm's announcement on Thursday positions him alongside other top names like Brooks Koepka, Bryson DeChambeau, Cameron Smith, Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson in competing with the PGA Tour on the 54-hole team circuit funded by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund.
- Although Rahm has been loosely linked to LIV Golf since its inception, it appears that discussions between the parties have been renewed around Thanksgiving.
- Rahm's decision to leave the PGA Tour for LIV Golf is happening amidst ongoing negotiations between the PGA Tour and Saudi Arabia's PIF to consolidate commercial operations for global golf under a new entity known as PGA Tour Enterprises that aims to generate profit.
Quick Glance: Meet the I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here 2023 Final Four
- Sam Thompson, Tony Bellew, Nigel Farage, and Josie Gibson make up the final four of the 2023 season.
- The group will take on the infamous celebrity cyclone in their final weekend in the Australian jungle.
- Before entering the Jungle, Sam Thompson from Made in Chelsea expressed his excitement about participating in the show he's been watching since childhood.
- Despite controversy, Farage made it to the final four, while Bellew admitted his fear of snakes and spiders and shared why he stopped boxing while in the camp.
The war in Ukraine has reached a stalemate, with even Ukrainian officials admitting the highly anticipated ...
Quick Glance: Ukraine Stalemate Favors Putin's War
- Ukraine is in a stalemate, favoring Putin's war.
- Ukraine faces challenges in convincing the West to continue arming its troops and battling entrenched Russian forces.
- After almost two years of war, Ukraine is confronted by enormous challenges, while Putin's strategy appears to be working.
- The next few months are unlikely to produce any surprising results, but Ukraine could hold its defensive positions and try another counteroffensive in the spring.
The Carinthian fought for second place with a strong second round and only lagged behind the Swiss Marco Odermatt. #orfsport #orfsportaktuell
Quick Glance: Alpine Skiing: Odermatt Wins in Val d'Isere
- Swiss superstar Marco Odermatt wins giant slalom ahead of Marco Schwarz.
- Debutant Noel Zwischenbrugger surprises with 13th place as replacement for Joshua Sturm.
- Odermatt achieves 25th World Cup victory, 15th in giant slalom, with a significant lead.
- Noel Zwischenbrugger earns valuable points in debut race, finishing just behind Schwarz.
Quick Glance: Chris Evert Faces Second Cancer Diagnosis
- Former US tennis player Chris Evert announces second cancer diagnosis.
- Evert will take a break from ESPN's coverage of the Australian Open for chemotherapy.
- The announcement comes 11 months after Evert declared herself cancer-free, following her January 2022 diagnosis.
- Evert, 68, is one of tennis' most accomplished players and will undergo a second round of chemotherapy.
Quick Glance: Survey: German Economists' Views on Debt Brake
- German economists are divided on the debt brake: Half support retention, while the other half favors reform or abolition.
- German economists hold diverse views on the debt brake, reflecting a strong interest in potential reforms.
- A large majority of economists support the retention of the debt brake, while a significant portion favors reforms or abolition.
- The diversity of opinions among economists regarding the debt brake reflects a wide range of arguments for and against its retention.
Quick Glance: British Poet Benjamin Zephaniah Dies at 65
- Benjamin Zephaniah, the British poet known for addressing political injustice, passed away at 65.
- He leaves behind a remarkable legacy through his work in poetry, literature, music, television, and radio.
- His second poetry collection, The Dread Affair, published in 1985, included poems criticizing the British legal system.
- His autobiography, The Life and Rhymes of Benjamin Zephaniah, was published to coincide with his 60th birthday.
Quick Glance: Hollywood Star Ryan O'Neal Dies at 82
- Ryan O'Neal, 1970s film star, dies at 82.
- Known for relationship with Farrah Fawcett and criticized as a bad parent.
- Daughter Tatum described years of abuse in her memoir.
- Recognized for his appearance and early fame by critics and colleagues.
Quick Glance: Federal Judge Blocks Family Separation at US Border for 8 Years
- A federal judge has prohibited the separation of families at the border for eight years to deter immigration.
- A court settlement in October between the Justice Department and families represented by the American Civil Liberties Union was tentatively approved.
The U.S. has deployed a team of experts to aid Cypriot authorities' response to ...
Quick Glance: FBI Assists Cyprus in Investigating Russian Sanctions Violations
- A team of US financial experts is aiding Cyprus in probing suspected Russian sanctions violations following an ICIJ investigation.
- Increased US interest in Cyprus sanctions cases comes after strong reactions from European lawmakers and others to ICIJ's probe.
- Cyprus Confidential exposed how allies of President Vladimir Putin used the country to hide billions of dollars of assets, even after Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides pledged to investigate everything that has come to light and sought input from overseas sanctions experts.
Once again, a court has found Julian Reichelt guilty of spreading falsehoods on the channel ...
Quick Glance: Court Prohibits False Statements about Sea Rescuer
- Court confirms Julian Reichelt spreading falsehoods.
- Reichelt may face legal consequences again.
- Julian Reichelt made false claims about the organization's income.
- Reichelt must publish and keep online a corrective video.
Quick Glance: Elon Musk Urges Disney CEO's Immediate Resignation
- Elon Musk, Tesla owner, called for the immediate resignation of Disney's CEO on Thursday.
- Musk made a statement on X, expressing the need for the CEO to resign immediately.
- In a separate tweet, Musk questioned Disney's decision not to withdraw its advertising from Meta after New Mexico sued the social media giant over allegations of child sexual abuse protection failures.
- Disney representatives did not promptly respond to Axios' inquiry.
Quick Glance: Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy to Leave Congress
- Former Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy, is leaving the House of Representatives in Washington
- McCarthy, 58, announced in a Wall Street Journal column that he will be leaving Congress after holding and then losing the role of speaker for nine months
- His departure could hamper the party's hopes of retaining the majority next year, as he played a significant role in helping Republicans take control of the House in 2022
- Although representing a safe Republican district in California, his departure will further narrow the already slim Republican majority early next year as Congress tries to avert a partial government shutdown in mid-January
Quick Glance: Heartbreaking News: Kyrgios Withdraws from Australian Open
- Nick Kyrgios will not compete in the 2024 Australian Open due to a wrist injury.
- Kyrgios underwent knee surgery during this year’s Australian Open and returned during the grass-court season.
- After an outstanding 2022 season, Kyrgios aims to win his first grand slam singles trophy.
- Nine, the owner of this publication, will explore opportunities for Kyrgios to be part of its Australian Open broadcast.
Quick Glance: New Focus: British Sign Language at Suffolk Primary School
- A primary school replaces French and Spanish with BSL tutoring.
- Elm Tree specializes in caring for deaf children.
Quick Glance: Video Shows Stripped Palestinian Men Detained in Gaza
- Verified footage shows men stripped to underwear, kneeling and guarded by Israeli soldiers.
- Well-known Palestinian journalist among detainees; employers accuse Israel of humiliating civilians.
- Israeli government confirms detention of military-aged men in evacuated areas.
- Men on road in underwear, shoes removed; under Israeli soldier guard.
Quick Glance: Esken Criticizes Merz's CDU at SPD Conference
- Esken sharply criticizes the CDU under Merz at the SPD conference.
- Esken and Klingbeil are expected to be re-elected.
- Esken, Klingbeil, and Kühnert stand for re-election in front of the delegates.
Quick Glance: Netanyahu's Warning: Beirut Could Become Another Gaza
- Netanyahu issued the warning during a visit to Israel Defense Forces headquarters.
- He threatened devastation in Beirut and southern Lebanon if Hezbollah opens a second front in the war with Hamas.
- President Joe Biden discussed the latest Gaza developments with Netanyahu and King Abdullah II of Jordan.
- Israel has shifted its focus to southern Gaza, reportedly sending troops into Khan Yunis.
Quick Glance: Hunter Biden Indicted on 9 Tax Offenses
- Court documents reveal: Hunter Biden indicted on nine tax offenses, including three felony counts.
- Charges include allegations of failure to pay taxes, failure to file tax returns, evasion of assessments, and submission of fraudulent forms.
- Indictment claims defendant spent millions on an extravagant lifestyle instead of paying taxes. Charges brought by special counsel David Weiss.
- White House declined to comment, referred NBC News to Hunter Biden's attorneys and the Justice Department.
Quick Glance: Game Awards 2023: Mastering the Medley
- Image caption: Lorne Balfe is responsible for creating the Game of the Year medley at the Game Awards
- Celebration of the best games of the year at the Game Awards
- Music and sound are essential to games and are prominently featured at the 'Oscars of gaming'.
- The highlight of the evening is a medley featuring all the theme tunes of the six Game of the Year nominees.
Quick Glance: UN Chief Urges Cease-Fire in Israel-Hamas War: Live Updates
- UN Security Council considers draft resolution for cease-fire in Gaza after Secretary-General's urging
- Secretary-General exercises rare authority to demand humanitarian cease-fire
- Israel reveals luxury spending by Hamas leader's son to illustrate gap with Gaza residents
- Israeli forces increase pressure on Hamas, highlighting rocket fire from humanitarian zone
🇧🇼 🇿🇼 Zimbabwe and Botswana are working on a bilateral deal to scrap visa requirements for each other's citizens. They join the growing wave of African ... Show more
Quick Glance: Koffi Olomide: Kenya Show in Chaos Over Debt
- Military apologizes for killing 85 innocent people
- Over 60 hospitalized after airstrike
- 250 soldiers return from DR Congo
- 133 suspected trafficking victims intercepted in South Africa
Quick Glance: Forest Whitaker's Ex-Wife Keisha Nash Dies at 51: 'Most Beautiful Woman'
- Family confirmed Keisha Nash Whitaker, actress and model ex-wife of Forest Whitaker, died this week at 51. No cause of death was immediately released.
- Whitaker and Nash met on the set of Blown Away in 1994. Nash had previously mentioned in an interview with Essence that she had seen Whitaker's performance in A Rage in Harlem in 1991 and thought he had 'a gentle soul and a nice spirit.'
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!