Quick Glance: Former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger Passes Away at 100
- He played a pivotal role in ending the Vietnam War and opening up relations with China.
- Kissinger is the only American to have negotiated directly with every Chinese leader from Mao Zedong to Xi Jinping.
Quick Glance: McCarthy's Altercation Sparks Hallway Chase
- Altercation between former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and a GOP colleague leads to a chase in the chamber.
- Representative Tim Burchett was among the eight Republicans who voted to remove McCarthy from his position as Speaker of the House.
- Burchett pursued McCarthy down the hallway, confronting him about the incident, as reported by Grisales.
- Burchett described the elbow as a surprise, stating it was a direct blow to the kidneys.
By relying heavily on Democrats' help to pass his government funding plan, has the Republican speaker given himself an even bigger problem down the line? trib.al/JGCFvfJ
Quick Glance: Senate Passes Legislation to Prevent Government Shutdown
- The Senate approved a bill on Wednesday to extend funding for federal agencies and sent the legislation to prevent a government shutdown to President Biden, just days before the weekend deadline.
- The bill, passed by a vote of 87-11, signifies a significant de-escalation between congressional Democrats and the new House Speaker, Mike Johnson (R-La.).
- Without the new spending measure, referred to as a continuing resolution or CR, the government would have closed shortly after midnight on Saturday, compelling federal employees - including military personnel and airport security officers - to work without pay or go on furlough on the eve of Thanksgiving.
- These concessions were sufficient to secure easy bipartisan support in the Senate, which is much less concerned with spending debates.
BREAKING: Sam Miele, a fundraiser for embattled Rep. George Santos, pleaded guilty to wire fraud in connection with impersonating an aide to then-House Speaker ... Show more
Quick Glance: Ethics Chairman Seeks Expulsion of George Santos
- Chairman files resolution for expulsion vote against Rep. George Santos.
- Report reveals evidence of campaign donation misuse.
- Separate expulsion resolution filed outside of committee process.
- Santos accused of wiring funds to personal account for campaign use.
Quick Glance: Senate Committee: Senator Challenges Teamsters President to Fight
- Mullin, former MMA fighter, provokes Teamsters President O'Brien during Senate hearing.
- Senator Sanders intervenes to prevent confrontation.
- Mullin suggests settling the dispute with a charity fight.
- Sanders interrupts discussion about physical violence.
Quick Glance: The Role of Speaker Mike Johnson's Religious Views in Politics
- Newly elected House Speaker Mike Johnson, currently serving his fourth term in Congress, is gaining attention for his strong religious views and how they shape his political decisions.
- During a recent interview on Fox News, Johnson was asked by a member of the media about his thoughts on various topics.
- House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries criticized Johnson for his extreme anti-abortion stance.
- Kelley Robinson, President of the Human Rights Campaign, described Johnson as the most anti-equality Speaker in the U.S. in a statement to ABC News.
Quick Glance: Ken Buck Testifies in Trump 14th Amendment Hearing
- Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) testified as a witness for Trump campaign attorneys to discredit the House Select Committee that investigated the Jan. 6, 2021, attack.
- Plaintiffs argue that Trump's actions supported the rioters who stormed the Capitol during the official Electoral College count of the 2020 election.
- Buck revealed that he asked McCarthy for permission to join the committee, but was declined.
- Buck agreed with Gessler's general sentiments, stating that the report was a political tool to support Democratic efforts to impeach Trump at the time.
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!