News articles on this subject
6 'fake electors' for Trump are indicted in Nevada: A Nevada grand jury indicted six individuals who submitted documents falsely attesting that they were the ...
Quick Glance: Charges Against 6 'Fake Electors' in Nevada
- The chair of the Nevada Republican Party, Michael McDonald, announces Donald Trump before his speech at the party's convention in Las Vegas.
- A grand jury in Nevada has indicted six individuals for submitting documents falsely claiming that Donald Trump won Nevada in the 2020 election.
- Criminal charges have been brought against the so-called 'fake electors' in three swing states: Nevada, Michigan, and Georgia.
- A legal settlement regarding false electors in Wisconsin has also been announced.
Wisconsin false electors admit they acted to 'improperly overturn' the 2020 presidential election
Quick Glance: Wisconsin Trump Electors Admit Biden Victory
- 10 Republican electors retract false claims and admit Biden won the presidency.
- First agreement by pro-Trump electors to revoke their false claims and not repeat them.
- Investigations and criminal charges against Republican electors in other states are ongoing.
- Attorneys who assisted the Republican electors continue to be sued.
Biden job approval hits new low, Trump takes lead in hypothetical 2024 matchup: WSJ poll
Pro-Trump electors indicted in Nevada, the third state to issue charges: Nevada is the third state after Georgia and Michigan to seek charges against the ...
Quick Glance: Pro-Trump Electors Indicted in Nevada
- A Nevada grand jury charged six Republicans claiming to be presidential electors in 2020, submitting false certificates to Congress asserting Trump's win in their state.
- Nevada AG Aaron D. Ford (D) launched an investigation earlier, making it the third state after Georgia and Michigan to seek charges against pro-Trump activists.
- In total, Trump electors met in seven states won by Biden, with investigations also underway in Arizona and New Mexico.
- The Nevada indictment has limited charges to the electors themselves so far, with the possibility of additional charges still unknown.
McCarthy declares support for Trump in 2024: Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said he is endorsing former President Trump for reelection in 2024 ...
Quick Glance: Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy to Leave Congress
- Former Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy, is leaving the House of Representatives in Washington
- McCarthy, 58, announced in a Wall Street Journal column that he will be leaving Congress after holding and then losing the role of speaker for nine months
- His departure could hamper the party's hopes of retaining the majority next year, as he played a significant role in helping Republicans take control of the House in 2022
- Although representing a safe Republican district in California, his departure will further narrow the already slim Republican majority early next year as Congress tries to avert a partial government shutdown in mid-January
Liz Cheney warns Trump will never leave office if he's elected president again: WASHINGTON — Former Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., warned Monday that if Donald Trump ...
Quick Glance: Liz Cheney's Warning About Trump's Re-election
- Cheney warns that Trump will attempt to stay in power if elected for a second term.
- She believes the U.S. could become a dictatorship under Trump's leadership.
- Cheney emphasizes the danger of Trump trying to overturn the election again.
- She stresses that voting for Trump would be a vote against the Constitution.
Nevada grand jury indicts 'fake electors' who backed Trump in 2020: A Nevada grand jury on Wednesday indicted six fake electors as part of a probe into the 2020 ...
Mitt Romney: I’d Rather Vote Dem Than for Trump or Vivek: It would be an “upgrade” from Trump, the Utah senator said.
Quick Glance: Romney Prefers Any Democrat Over Trump in 2024
- Republican Senator Mitt Romney signaled that almost any candidate in the 2024 field, regardless of party, would be an 'upgrade' over another term for former President Trump.
- Romney stated that he would be happy to support and vote for almost any Republican, as well as for some Democrats.
- After Romney announced that he will not seek reelection, this sparked a wave of gloating insults from Trump and his allies.
Prosecutors cite Trump's history of false election claims as evidence of motive: Prosecutors want to use evidence of former President Trump's baseless statements ...
Monica Lewinsky calls for constitutional ban on presidential self-pardons: Monica Lewinsky penned on op-ed Monday calling for a series of constitutional ...
Quick Glance: Monica Lewinsky Calls for Ban on Presidential Self-Pardons
- In an op-ed in Vanity Fair, Lewinsky called for six constitutional amendments, including a ban on presidential self-pardons.
- Lewinsky quoted constitutional law professor Neal Katyal, who warned about the potential danger of former President Trump returning to the White House.
- She also advocated for unspecified age limits for elected officials without naming President Biden directly.
- Legal scholars have been discussing the issue of presidential self-pardons for some time.
US appeals court says Trump must face lawsuits over US Capitol attack: A U.S. appeals court on Friday ruled that Donald Trump must face civil lawsuits over his ...
Quick Glance: Court Allows Lawsuits Against Trump for Inciting Jan. 6 Violence
- Trump’s sweeping claims of presidential immunity rejected by the circuit court.
- Expected rejection of the same claim by judge in Capitol riot criminal trial.
Trump spokesperson: DeSantis ‘so desperate for attention’ he’s debating ‘Grade A loser’ Gavin Newsom
Quick Glance: Key Points in DeSantis-Newsom Debate on Fox
- DeSantis and Newsom will participate in a 90-minute debate titled 'DeSantis vs. Newsom: The Great Red vs. Blue State Debate,' moderated by Fox News host Sean Hannity.
- Both governors have developed a growing rivalry over the past months and may use the debate to boost their political careers.
- Expect personal attacks between Newsom and DeSantis, as they have criticized each other in the past.
- The outcome of the debate could impact the perception of Florida and California, as both governors have clashed over various political issues.
Quick Glance: Nevada Indicts 6 Republicans as Fake Trump Electors
- A Nevada investigation led to the indictment of six Republicans who falsely declared Donald Trump the winner of the 2020 presidential election in their state.
- The fake electors, involved in the state GOP or Clark County GOP, have been charged with offering a false instrument for filing and uttering a forged instrument.
- The indictments in Nevada are just the latest in a series of investigations in several states into the activities of Republican electors.
- Democratic attorneys general in New Mexico and Arizona are also examining the role of fake electors in their states.
Appeals court largely upholds Trump’s federal gag order: A three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Trump’s complaints about free speech ...
Trump claims MSNBC coverage part of election interference campaign: Former President Trump attacked MSNBC and its parent company Comcast late Tuesday night ...
Trump knocks Cheney over ‘unhinged’ comments: Former President Trump took a swing at former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) early Wednesday morning. “Crazy Liz Cheney ...
Quick Glance: Liz Cheney Considers Third Party, Warns of Trump-led Threat
- Liz Cheney, once a rising GOP leader, is ready to create a new third party or run for president with one.
- She hopes to play a role in establishing a new conservative party, as restoring the current Republican Party seems impossible.
- Cheney is open to joining a bipartisan ticket in the next election to include both Republicans and Democrats.
- She warns of Trump as an existential threat and suggests that a third party could provide voters with an alternative.
Trump, not acting in presidential capacity on Jan. 6, can be sued, court rules: Trump would not be protected by presidential immunity, the court ruled.
Special counsel alleges Trump ‘sent’ supporters on path to Jan. 6 violence: Special counsel Jack Smith accused the former president of a history of election lies ...
Chipping away at China: Our podcast on markets, the economy and business. This week, can America really stop China getting hold of its semiconductors?
Takeaways from the 4th GOP presidential debate in Alabama: With the Iowa caucuses rapidly approaching, a shrinking field of Republican White House hopefuls ...
Mega-donors shake up GOP presidential race ahead of Iowa caucuses: The network backed by the Koch family announced Tuesday that it is endorsing Nikki Haley.
Quick Glance: Koch Group Backs Haley's 2024 Presidential Run
- Conservative political network led by Charles Koch endorses Nikki Haley for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.
- Group prioritizes defeating Donald Trump in the Republican primaries, believing he would lose to President Joe Biden.
- Koch-affiliated Super PAC, Americans for Prosperity Action, will support Haley with campaign funds and thousands of staffers nationwide.
- Internal group polls show Haley in the best position to defeat Trump in the Republican primaries.
Trump defends mistaking Obama for Biden, says he’s being sarcastic : Former President Trump on Monday defended mistaking former President Obama for President ...
Quick Glance: Trump's Deliberate Mix-Up: Biden and Obama
- Donald Trump claims to intentionally confuse Joe Biden and Barack Obama to suggest potential outside influence on the government.
- His confusions are a prominent attack point for Ron DeSantis, who claims that Trump is not the same candidate he was in 2016.
- Polls show a higher share of voters believe Trump has the stamina and sharpness for the presidency compared to Biden.
- Campaigns from DeSantis and Biden use Trump's errors to highlight and promote them on social media.
‘Fake elector’ probes in 2020 swing states could spell more trouble for Trump: Former President Trump’s four criminal cases have dominated headlines since April ...
Biden argues Trump is an existential threat to America; Trump tries to point finger back at Biden
Quick Glance: Biden Contemplates 2024 Run, Cites Trump as Motivation
- Biden mentioned that he might not run again if not for the unique threat posed by Donald Trump to the United States.
- Biden stated that he would not drop out of the race if Trump stopped seeking his own second term.
- During his 2020 presidential campaign, Biden often cited Trump's handling of issues as part of his decision to run.
- Biden faces limited competition for his party's nomination and is positioning Trump as a danger to democracy itself.
Massa concedes to far-right Milei in Argentina’s presidential run-off vote: Argentina’s presidential candidate Sergio Massa has conceded the country’s hotly ...
How much progress has America made on meeting its climate goals?: Our weekly podcast on democracy in America. This week, we consider if the US can be a climate ...
America’s latest states’-rights battle is a grizzly tale: Also on the daily podcast: why Britain is so taken with vaping and our word of the year for 2023
House Democrat apologizes after saying Trump ‘has to be eliminated’: Rep. Daniel Goldman (D-N.Y.) apologized Monday for his “poor choice of words” when he said ...
Trump says charges against him opened "Pandora's box": The former president has sought to delay the trial proceedings until after the 2024 presidential ...
Georgia DA Fani Willis appears in court to argue that Trump co-defendant's bond should be revoked
Quick Glance: DA Fani Willis Appears in Court for Bond Revocation
- Fani Willis makes rare court appearance to argue for revocation of co-defendant's bond.
- Willis presents the case against Harrison Floyd and argues for bond revocation due to violations.
- Willis demonstrates Floyd's contact with witnesses and co-defendants as a violation of his bond.
- Floyd's attorneys claim Willis' allegations are without merit and retaliatory.
How is America’s role in the world changing?: Our weekly podcast on democracy in America. This week, in an episode recorded live in Philadelphia ...
Seven delusions plaguing the mind of the Trump base voter: My safe 2024 prediction: The losing party will believe it is “the end of America.”
Why Chinese feminists are doing stand-up comedy in New York City: Our weekly podcast on China. How stand-up comedy has become a form of resistance for some ...
Trump in ‘excellent health,’ personal physician says: Former President Trump is in “excellent health,” according to a letter from his personal physician ...
Quick Glance: Trump's Excellent Health Report
- Former President Trump's personal physician, Bruce Aronwald, states that Trump is in 'excellent health.'
- Aronwald reports that Trump improved his diet, remained physically active, but did not disclose his weight.
- The doctor's letter provides less information than Trump's annual exams during his presidency.
- Trump is the front-runner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, making his health a point of scrutiny.
Real wages have risen in America and are rebounding in Europe: Yet workers remain miserable
Trump claims he is ‘seriously’ looking at ObamaCare alternatives: Former President Trump over the weekend revived his calls to repeal and replace the Affordable ...
Trump lawyers say Georgia charges violate ‘free speech’ and that he can’t be tried while president
Fei-Fei Li on why we should avoid existential angst about the future of AI: Our podcast on science and technology. This week, Fei-Fei Li explains her work in the ...
Judge rejects Kari Lake’s request to examine ballot envelopes: A Maricopa County Superior Court judge rejected Kari Lake’s lawsuit request to view signed ballots ...
Thousands of fake Facebook accounts shut down by Meta were primed to polarize voters ahead of 2024
Quick Glance: Meta Uncovers Fake Chinese Accounts
- The network covered topics such as abortion, culture war issues, and aid to Ukraine.
- China is now the third-largest geographical source of such networks.
- More than 4,700 accounts were part of the China-based network and used copied profile pictures and names.
- The company prohibits 'co-ordinated inauthentic behaviour' in its rules - posts from accounts that work together and use false identities.
U.S. judge rejects Trump immunity claim in Jan. 6 criminal prosecution: A federal judge in D.C. rejected Donald Trump’s claim of “absolute immunity” from ...
Quick Glance: Judge Rejects Trump's Immunity Claim
- Former US President Donald Trump attends civil fraud trial at New York State Supreme Court.
- Judge Tanya Chutkan rules that Trump has no immunity from criminal charges.
- Chutkan's ruling is the first in the US affirming that presidents can be charged with crimes like any other citizen.
- Trump's lawyers claimed he is 'absolutely immune' from charges, which was rejected by Judge Chutkan.
2024 will be stressful for those who care about liberal democracy: In theory 2024 should be a triumphant year for democracy. In practice it will be the opposite ...
DeSantis wins fourth GOP debate, WaPo poll says: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) won the fourth Republican primary debate, according to a poll of debate watchers ...
Louisiana candidate wins by 1 vote in Caddo Parish Sheriff election: In the northwest corner of Louisiana, a candidate for parish sheriff is demanding a recount ...
Federal appeals court narrows Trump gag order in 2020 election case: A federal appeals court on Friday upheld most of the partial gag order on former President ...
Quick Glance: Court Preserves Trump Speech Restrictions
- A federal appeals court has preserved most of a speech restriction on former President Donald Trump in his election interference case.
- The court ruling would allow Trump to make public statements about the special counsel in the case, but not about other prosecutors, court staffers, or their family members if those remarks aim to interfere with their work.
- The appeals court ruling preserves the restrictions on Trump and other parties in the case from disparaging likely witnesses in the election interference case because of their expected testimony.
- The court stated that Trump does not enjoy unfettered rights to free speech like other criminal defendants.
Mark Zuckerberg’s smart move was a brief pause from the metaverse: Also on the daily podcast: South America’s illegal-gold rush and North Korean women’s football ...
Haley leads Biden by 4 points in 2024 match-up, but falls short of Trump: Poll: GOP presidential hopeful Nikki Haley leads President Biden in a hypothetical ...
Trump widens lead over Biden to 4 points in national survey: Former President Trump widened his lead against President Biden by four points in a hypothetical ...
Eric Trump says his father’s in a better position to win election than previous years
Quick Glance: Trump's Legal Team Prepares Defense in NY Fraud Trial
- Former President Trump’s legal team will present their defense in a complex civil fraud case against his business empire on Monday.
- They aim to shape the narrative of his business transactions and argue against paying hefty financial penalties to New York state for fraud.
- Facing a tough challenge, Trump’s team was found liable for fraud by Judge Arthur Engoron before the trial, putting his iconic properties at risk.
- New York appeals court temporarily halted the revocation of business licenses pending Trump’s case hearing.
Trump knocks Dimon for supporting Haley: Former President Trump blasted JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon on Thursday, after he boosted former U.N ...
Quick Glance: JPMorgan CEO: Support Nikki Haley in 2024 Election
- Dimon backs Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley, urging support from Democrats and emphasizing 'very liberal Democrats'.
- He mentioned having conversations with Haley but stopped short of fully endorsing her.
- Others, like Ken Langone, also plan to support Haley as the only person who can challenge Trump in the elections.
- Dimon's call for bipartisan support for Haley comes amid her rising popularity in the GOP primary field.
Bonus interview: Reid Hoffman: LinkedIn’s co-founder says white-collar workers who don’t use AI tools risk falling behind
Trump’s ‘vermin’ comment blasted by Biden aides: White House and Biden campaign aides on Monday slammed former President Trump over his comments from the weekend ...
Quick Glance: Trump's Alarming Rhetoric: 'Rooting Out' Political Opponents
- Donald Trump vowed to 'root out' his political opponents, likening them to 'vermin,' alarming historians and experts.
- A Trump campaign spokesman dismissed the backlash to his speech, but some historians found the parallels alarming.
- Trump boasted of his leadership on the world stage and emphasized 'peace through strength' at a rally in New Hampshire.
- His comments received immediate pushback from critics and historians, drawing unsettling comparisons to infamous authoritarians.
Here's how to watch the 3rd GOP presidential debate: The two-hour debate will start at 8 p.m. Eastern in Miami on Wednesday. It's being moderated by ...
Quick Glance: Haley Wins, Ramaswamy Loses Third Debate, Poll Shows
- Former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley emerges as winner of third GOP presidential debate, according to poll.
- 34% of Republican voters rate Haley as best performer.
- Ron DeSantis takes second place with 23% of the votes.
- More than half of voters rate Haley's performance as excellent or very good.
Billionaire GOP donor endorses Haley, says Trump’s time has ‘come and gone’: Home Depot co-founder and billionaire Ken Langone put his support behind GOP hopeful ...
Schoen: Trump has real chance to return to White House: Indeed, the economy, the president’s age, and the perception of corruption have put a damper on Biden’s ...
Trump stresses he wants to replace ObamaCare, not ‘terminate’ it: Former President Trump emphasized late Tuesday night that he wants to “replace” the Affordable ...
Putin announces his candidacy for Russia's presidential election in 2024: Putin, who was first elected president in March 2000, announced his decision to ...
Tucker Carlson says he’s backing Trump in 2024: Former Fox News pundit Tucker Carlson knows who he’ll be supporting in the 2024 presidential election ...
What to make of five tumultuous days for Sam Altman: Our podcast on markets, the economy and business. This week, why the shuffle at artificial-intelligence ...
Sen. Tim Scott drops out of 2024 presidential race, shocking donors and campaign staff
Quick Glance: Tim Scott Withdraws from 2024 GOP Presidential Race
- Seven candidates participated in the second Republican primary debate as former US President Donald Trump once again declined to participate.
- Republican presidential candidate and Senator from South Carolina, Tim Scott, announced his withdrawal from the primary race.
- Scott made the announcement on the Fox News program 'Sunday Night in America with Trey Gowdy.'
- The withdrawal came shortly after the third Republican primary debate, following Scott's temporary rise in early state polling during the summer.
Former Trump loyalists who pleaded guilty in Georgia criminal case shed light on election reversal efforts in conversations with prosecutors
Quick Glance: Former Trump Loyalists Reveal Election Reversal Efforts
- Former Trump loyalists shed light on their efforts to reverse the election in conversations with prosecutors.
- Attorneys and a bail bondsman revealed details of conversations with Trump associates and planned actions for election manipulation.
- Statements from Ellis, Powell, Chesebro, and Hall illuminate Trump's efforts to challenge the election and retain power.
- The former Trump associates disclosed details in videotaped conversations with prosecutors regarding their role in the election reversal efforts.
Trump weighs in on College Football Playoff, blames DeSantis: Florida man versus Florida man in a football showdown? Former President Trump is blaming Florida ...
Quick Glance: Florida State AD and Coach Criticize Playoff Committee
- FSU excluded from playoff despite undefeated season, Alford calls it a committee failure.
- Texas (12-1) and Alabama (12-1) leapfrog FSU in playoff rankings to enter the top four.
- Alford warns of destructive consequences of giving in to a narrative of the moment and the damage to the legitimacy of the College Football Playoff.
- Travis' absence changed the committee's view of FSU, despite injuries being allowed in playoff considerations.
DeSantis knocks Trump over BLM leader’s endorsement: ‘Makes perfect sense’: Republican presidential candidate Ron DeSantis knocked former President Trump after ...
BREAKING: Supreme Court Rejects Fresh Evidence Against Tinubu: The Supreme Court has rejected the motion by the People’s Democratic Party and its presidential ...
Trump power grab comes into focus in leaked Georgia videos: Leaked videos showing four Georgia defendants speaking to prosecutors in the racketeering case ...
The Economist names Trump "biggest danger" for 2024: Another four years for Trump in the White House would be "more damaging" this time ...
McCarthy says he doesn’t criticize Trump on TV because ‘it drives him crazy’: Former GOP Speaker also warns if Trump’s 2024 message is “about revenge, he’ll lose ...
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!