News articles on this subject
Trump not immune from prosecution in U.S. election case, judge rules - National | Globalnews.ca
Quick Glance: Judge Rejects Trump's Immunity Claim
- Former US President Donald Trump attends civil fraud trial at New York State Supreme Court.
- Judge Tanya Chutkan rules that Trump has no immunity from criminal charges.
- Chutkan's ruling is the first in the US affirming that presidents can be charged with crimes like any other citizen.
- Trump's lawyers claimed he is 'absolutely immune' from charges, which was rejected by Judge Chutkan.
President Joe Biden said he wasn’t sure if he’d be running for reelection if Donald Trump wasn’t also in the race, warning democracy is “more at risk in 2024” ... Show more
Quick Glance: Biden Contemplates 2024 Run, Cites Trump as Motivation
- Biden mentioned that he might not run again if not for the unique threat posed by Donald Trump to the United States.
- Biden stated that he would not drop out of the race if Trump stopped seeking his own second term.
- During his 2020 presidential campaign, Biden often cited Trump's handling of issues as part of his decision to run.
- Biden faces limited competition for his party's nomination and is positioning Trump as a danger to democracy itself.
‘Central Park Five’ member Yusef Salaam wins New York City Council seat: Exonerated “Central Park Five” member Yusef Salaam has won a seat on the New York City ...
Quick Glance: Formerly Convicted 'Central Park Five' Member Set to Join NYC Council
- Salaam, a Democrat, is poised to represent a district in Harlem on the city council after running unopposed in one of many local elections in New York on Tuesday.
- The victory will come more than two decades after DNA evidence was used to overturn the convictions of Salaam and four other men.
- In New York City, voters will also decide whether to re-elect the Queens district attorney and cast ballots in other city council races.
- The council, which passes legislation and has some oversight powers over city agencies, has long been dominated by Democrats and is certain to retain firm control after the election.
Prosecutors cite Trump's history of false election claims as evidence of motive: Prosecutors want to use evidence of former President Trump's baseless statements ...
Editorial: Some blunt advice, Mr. President, for today’s visit to Boston: First, don't run for re-election. We're getting right to the point ...
Appeals court maintains most of Trump gag order in federal election subversion case
Quick Glance: Court Preserves Trump Speech Restrictions
- A federal appeals court has preserved most of a speech restriction on former President Donald Trump in his election interference case.
- The court ruling would allow Trump to make public statements about the special counsel in the case, but not about other prosecutors, court staffers, or their family members if those remarks aim to interfere with their work.
- The appeals court ruling preserves the restrictions on Trump and other parties in the case from disparaging likely witnesses in the election interference case because of their expected testimony.
- The court stated that Trump does not enjoy unfettered rights to free speech like other criminal defendants.
A Big-Money Operation Purged Critics of Israel From the Democratic Party: How the Israel lobby moved to quash rising dissent in Congress against Israel’s ...
Nevada charges pro-Trump fake electors accused of attempting to overturn 2020 election
Liz Cheney would rather see Democrats win in 2024: She warned of the "threat" from within her own party.
Wisconsin false electors admit they acted to 'improperly overturn' the 2020 presidential election
Quick Glance: Wisconsin Trump Electors Admit Biden Victory
- 10 Republican electors retract false claims and admit Biden won the presidency.
- First agreement by pro-Trump electors to revoke their false claims and not repeat them.
- Investigations and criminal charges against Republican electors in other states are ongoing.
- Attorneys who assisted the Republican electors continue to be sued.
New Trump admin would try to prosecute journalists, former Trump adviser says: A former Trump administration official who remains close to Donald Trump warned on ...
New York Democrats pick Tom Suozzi as their candidate for George Santos’ seat: New York Democrats have selected former Rep. Tom Suozzi to be their party’s ...
No presidential primary for Florida Democrats after party submits only Biden’s name
Donald Trump Says Undercover Agents Should Have Stopped Jan. 6 Happening: Trump is seeking disclosure of all undercover agents within five miles of the Capitol ...
Quick Glance: Trump's Request for Disclosure of Covert Investigators
- Trump is demanding the disclosure of all covert investigators within a five-mile radius of the Capitol during the events on January 6.
- According to Donald Trump's lawyers, undercover agents hiding among Trump supporters should have stopped the events on January 6.
- Trump's lawyers are requesting information on undercover agents to demonstrate that it was the security forces, not Trump, who could have stopped the Capitol invasion.
- The presence of undercover agents or informants would indicate a failure of controls and/or covert operations, as argued by Trump's lawyers.
Six fake Donald Trump electors, indicted by Nevada grand jury: A Nevada grand jury has indicted six Nevada GOP members who submitted a document to Congress ...
Quick Glance: Nevada Indicts 6 Republicans as Fake Trump Electors
- A Nevada investigation led to the indictment of six Republicans who falsely declared Donald Trump the winner of the 2020 presidential election in their state.
- The fake electors, involved in the state GOP or Clark County GOP, have been charged with offering a false instrument for filing and uttering a forged instrument.
- The indictments in Nevada are just the latest in a series of investigations in several states into the activities of Republican electors.
- Democratic attorneys general in New Mexico and Arizona are also examining the role of fake electors in their states.
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear, a Democrat, has won reelection: Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear has beaten his Republican challenger. Beshear is a blue governor in a red ...
Quick Glance: The Impact of National Politics
- Visits and support for Andy Beshear and Daniel Cameron before an upcoming gubernatorial debate in October.
- Kentucky's gubernatorial race is at a critical point as Democratic incumbent Andy Beshear faces Trump-endorsed state Attorney General Daniel Cameron, testing the effectiveness of national politics.
- A recent Morning Consult poll found that 43% of Kentucky Republicans approve of Beshear.
- "Beshear has supporters," said Al Cross, Director of the Institute for Rural Journalism and Community at the University of Kentucky. "There are tens of thousands of people in the state for whom he is simply Andy."
Enough with all the fatalism about a Trump dictatorship: How the wrong kind of fear of Donald Trump could lead us astray.
Quick Glance: Trump's Potential for Authoritarian Rule
- There is a realistic threat for Trump to achieve authoritarian rule in the United States.
- Trump allies are openly developing a plan to transform a second term into full-blown autocracy.
- Election officials, Republican lawmakers, and former Trump advisors testified with exceptional courage, mobilizing many voters against election deniers in 2022.
- The national response to the antidemocratic threat of the Trump years was surprisingly positive - not only in terms of elections but also institutionally.
Republicans had New Yorkers lead the way in expelling Santos. Will it help them keep the majority?
Quick Glance: George Santos Expelled from Congress
- House vote: New York Republican George Santos expelled.
- Santos, sixth member expelled in a Congress vote.
- Over 100 Republicans voted with Democrats for Santos' expulsion.
- Santos to be replaced in special election, date not set.
Biden used to keep quiet about Trump. Now Biden's invoking his name to raise alarms
Quick Glance: Trump's Fascist Rhetoric Against Biden
- Trump compares President Biden to a fascist tyrant and distributes signs reading 'BIDEN ATTACKS DEMOCRACY'.
- He uses fascist rhetoric in his speeches in Iowa to rally his supporters and portray opponents as enemies.
- Since leaving the White House, Trump has stated he would have an expansive view of executive branch authority in a second term.
- The speech marked a striking rhetorical escalation of themes that Trump has consistently hammered as he racked up 91 criminal charges in four separate cases this year.
Biden says he's 'not the only one who can defeat' Trump : President Joe Biden said Wednesday that he didn't think he was the only Democrat who could prevail over ...
Florida Democratic Party says Biden is the only candidate, angering rivals: State election laws say uncontested race won’t appear on the ballot, something Rep ...
DeSantis and Newsom lob insults and talk some policy in an unusual debate: In an alternate reality, the prime-time showdown between California Democratic Gov ...
Quick Glance: Key Points in DeSantis-Newsom Debate on Fox
- DeSantis and Newsom will participate in a 90-minute debate titled 'DeSantis vs. Newsom: The Great Red vs. Blue State Debate,' moderated by Fox News host Sean Hannity.
- Both governors have developed a growing rivalry over the past months and may use the debate to boost their political careers.
- Expect personal attacks between Newsom and DeSantis, as they have criticized each other in the past.
- The outcome of the debate could impact the perception of Florida and California, as both governors have clashed over various political issues.
Hunter Biden was indicted on nine tax charges in California on Thursday as a special counsel investigation into the business dealings of the president's son ... Show more
Quick Glance: Hunter Biden Indicted on 9 Tax Offenses
- Court documents reveal: Hunter Biden indicted on nine tax offenses, including three felony counts.
- Charges include allegations of failure to pay taxes, failure to file tax returns, evasion of assessments, and submission of fraudulent forms.
- Indictment claims defendant spent millions on an extravagant lifestyle instead of paying taxes. Charges brought by special counsel David Weiss.
- White House declined to comment, referred NBC News to Hunter Biden's attorneys and the Justice Department.
US election 2020: Trump is said to have admitted defeat very early in a small circle - says Liz Cheney
Hollywood Stars Are Donating to Lauren Boebert’s Opponent: More than a dozen actors, musicians, and filmmakers have donated to Adam Frisch ...
A Florida election fraud chief died last year in the hallway of Ron DeSantis' office
Quick Glance: Tragic Death of Official at Ron DeSantis' Office
- Governor Ron DeSantis appointed Peter Antonacci in 2022 to head a new office to combat election fraud.
- Following a heated meeting, the top election fraud officer collapsed in the governor's office and went unnoticed for 24 minutes before receiving help.
- An in-depth investigation reveals more about the circumstances of Antonacci's death and his prior conflict with some of the state's top officials.
- Despite claims that Antonacci died after an argument, the records do not mention the governor.
Biden’s resistance to cease-fire could alienate youth voters in 2024: As the death toll rises in the Middle East, some young U.S. voters dissatisfied with ...
Biden or bust: Democrats are stuck with Joe: It would be a disaster to swap him off the ticket at this point.
Trump lawyers say Georgia charges violate ‘free speech’ and that he can’t be tried while president
Backstory on Trump's 'Guard the vote' phrase and why it's raising concerns: Former President Donald Trump is urging supporters to “guard the vote” during next ...
'Not normal times': Here's why the Republican primary is a referendum on Joe Biden, not Donald Trump
Quick Glance: Unusual Times: Why the Republican Primary is a Referendum on Joe Biden, Not Donald Trump
- The Republican primary should focus on Donald Trump, but candidates are reluctant to attack him to avoid alienating voters.
- Republican candidate Chris Christie, who has criticized Trump, has little support in the polls.
- Fear of a political backlash is preventing challengers from attacking Trump.
- So far, attacks on Trump have strengthened him politically.
Louisiana candidate wins by 1 vote in Caddo Parish Sheriff election: In the northwest corner of Louisiana, a candidate for parish sheriff is demanding a recount ...
Thousands of fake Facebook accounts shut down by Meta were primed to polarize voters ahead of 2024
Quick Glance: Meta Uncovers Fake Chinese Accounts
- The network covered topics such as abortion, culture war issues, and aid to Ukraine.
- China is now the third-largest geographical source of such networks.
- More than 4,700 accounts were part of the China-based network and used copied profile pictures and names.
- The company prohibits 'co-ordinated inauthentic behaviour' in its rules - posts from accounts that work together and use false identities.
Geert Wilders’s Dutch election win is a headache for Europe: Hard-right parties are now part of the political landscape
Quick Glance: Geert Wilders and the Dutch Election Impact
- The rise of hard-right parties in the political landscape
- Geert Wilders's victory in the Dutch election on November 22nd has received praise from across Europe, particularly from right-wing political groups.
- Mr. Wilders's presence poses a challenge for the EU, accustomed to navigating differences between centrist parties of the left and right.
- The likelihood of further success for hard-right parties in upcoming elections is high.
Hillary Clinton visits The View, says Donald Trump winning in 2024 would be the 'end of our country'
Dean Phillips Is Giving Harlan Crow’s Donation to Charity: The Minnesota Democrat’s primary challenge to President Joe Biden has been off to a rocky start.
Quick Glance: Dean Phillips Opts Out of Congressional Reelection in 2024: 'Time for a New Generation'
- Democrat Dean Phillips is challenging President Joe Biden in the 2024 primary and is heeding his own advice to pass the torch.
- The 54-year-old Phillips will not seek reelection to the U.S. House and is opening up his congressional seat.
- Phillips is urging Biden to also forgo seeking reelection as both parties vie for control of Congress.
- As one of about a dozen lawmakers not seeking reelection next year, Phillips becomes part of the contest for congressional control.
Donations to GOP drop as worries mount about the party’s finances: Donors have not cut as many large checks to the RNC in recent years, and the party’s ...
After electing right-wing populist Milei as president, Argentina faces uncharted path
Arizona officials charged with allegedly conspiring to delay midterm election outcome
Quick Glance: Charges Filed Against Arizona Officials for Election Interference
- Indictment accuses two Cochise County supervisors of meddling with the state vote count.
- Election conspiracy theories rampant in the county.
- Peggy Judd and Tom Crosby pushed for a manual vote recount in heavily Republican Cochise County, Arizona.
- Two Arizona Republican county supervisors indicted for felony charges related to delaying the 2022 election results certification.
Many voters are weary about a Biden-Trump rematch in the 2024 election. Third parties hope they can help
Quick Glance: Independent Candidates Eye 2024 Presidential Election
- A diverse field of independent candidates aims to capitalize on Americans' frustration over a likely Biden-Trump rematch in the 2024 election.
- George Washington was the only president without party affiliation.
- Abraham Lincoln's election in 1860 was the last time someone from a new party - the Republican Party - won the White House.
- Independent politics are currently fertile ground, according to Jill Stein, the Green Party nominee in 2012 and 2016.
Colorado judge keeps Trump on ballot, rejects challenge: A Colorado judge has found that former President Donald Trump engaged in insurrection in the Jan. 6 ...
Quick Glance: Judge Rules Trump Stays on Colorado Ballot Despite Involvement in Insurrection
- Colorado judge rejects attempt to remove Donald Trump from ballot due to his involvement in an insurrection.
- High-profile challenges against Trump backed by well-funded advocacy groups have so far failed.
- Judge decides Trump can remain on the ballot despite involvement in an insurrection.
- Colorado Secretary of State expects the case to go through the appeals process and will respect the ruling when the primary elections happen next year.
Ken Buck blasts his party's hardliners for ‘lying to America’: “Everybody who thinks that the election was stolen or talks about the election being stolen ...
This school board made news for banning books. Voters flipped it to majority Democrat
Quick Glance: School Board Shift: Democrats Take Majority After Book Ban
- Five Democratic candidates are seen with the current school board member Mariam Mahmud at the Bucks County Democratic headquarters on election night.
- Meghan Budden's family considered relocating if their Pennsylvania school district did not change its course.
- Although not usually politically active, she felt compelled to help as a group of Democrats aimed to regain control of the school board in Central Bucks School District, just north of Philadelphia.
- Voters effectively shifted the board from majority Republican to majority Democrat.
Young Voters See Abortion as Key Motivating Factor, Poll Finds: Young voters overall appear less motivated to vote in next year’s presidential elections – except ...
Black Voters Are Drifting Away from Democrats. Will That Hurt Biden in SC?: “It seems like people are looking elsewhere,” one party official said.
Muslim leaders in key US swing states launch 'Abandon Biden' campaign for 2024 election
Trump Co-Defendant Kenneth Chesebro Cooperating With State Probes Into Fake Electors: CNN
Trump’s lawyers argue he had good basis to question election results: Former President Donald Trump's lawyers are arguing that he had a good faith basis to ...
Trump: I will be a dictator ‘on day one’ if re-elected: The frontrunner for the Republican nomination has some ideas of what he will do on the first day in the ...
NEW: Mike Pence told the special counsel probing Jan. 6 that then-President Trump was advised by "crank" lawyers and almost created a ... Show more
Quick Glance: Report: Pence's Hesitation to Preside Over Jan. 6 Electoral Count Revealed
- Mike Pence initially did not want to preside over the count of electoral votes on Jan. 6, 2021, amid pressure from Trump to overturn the election results.
- Investigations by special counsel Jack Smith show that Pence left personal notes indicating his initial reluctance to preside over the count of electoral votes.
- Pence told investigators that his loyalty to Trump never wavered at the time.
- Pence was also questioned about his recent memoir, detailing conversations with Trump about certifying the votes, including an investigation into the placement of a comma in one section of the book, which Pence deemed a mistake.
Senate Democrats shoot down Biden naysayers in party : Senate Democrats are pushing back hard on criticism from within their own party that President Biden’s ...
Ron DeSantis and Vivek Ramaswamy accused Nikki Haley of being politically owned by her donors.
Trump tops Biden in polls despite mountain of baggage: Former President Trump is facing 91 felony counts in four separate criminal cases. He was impeached twice ...
How to interview Trump while avoiding the mistakes of the past: The challenge with interviewing Trump is that his way of talking is fundamentally incompatible ...
Hey, Joe Manchin! There’s no ‘middle’ in a right-wing GOP.: There’s one big problem with the West Virginia senator’s potential plan to explore a presidential bid ...
Quick Glance: Democratic Senator Manchin to Step Down
- Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) announced on Thursday that he will not seek re-election in 2024.
- Manchin plans to travel the country and advocate for mobilizing the middle and uniting Americans.
- During a Senate Appropriations committee hearing on November 8, 2023, Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) provided insight into the struggles of Congress to reach a deal to prevent a looming partial government shutdown.
Biden Would Be a Hero If He Dropped Out of the 2024 Race Right Now: The president could spend the next 15 months as an elder statesman who puts the country first ...
With Joe Biden Turning 81, the White House Is Focused Elsewhere: President Biden has no plans for a lavish public celebration when he turns 81 on Monday ...
Quick Glance: Biden's 81st Birthday Bash in Nantucket with Coconut Cake
- President Biden delivers speech to United Auto Workers at the Community Building Complex of Boone County, Thursday, Nov. 9, 2023, in Belvidere, Ill.
- Biden to celebrate his 81st birthday with family in Nantucket, Mass., and enjoy coconut cake, per the White House.
- The president and First Lady will travel to Nantucket on Tuesday and stay through Thanksgiving.
- Biden spent his birthday at the White House and pardoned the Thanksgiving turkeys.
Megyn Kelly warns 'the country will burn' if Trump is jailed before Election Day: Megyn Kelly warned that "the country will burn" if Republican ...
Court ruling: Trump can run in Colorado primaries: Former US President Trump is in the middle of several court cases - now he has scored a victory in Colorado: ...
Quick Glance: Court Ruling: Trump Allowed to Run in Colorado Primaries
- Lawsuit against Trump's candidacy in Colorado dismissed.
- Former US President achieves legal victory.
- Court decision permits Trump to participate in Colorado primaries.
- Judge explains the reason behind Trump's legal win.
Fewer young Americans plan to vote in 2024, Harvard youth poll finds: A new poll shows fewer voters under the age of 30 plan to vote in the upcoming 2024 ...
CNN Poll: Trump narrowly leads Biden in hypothetical rematch: One year out from Election Day 2024, former President Donald Trump narrowly leads President Joe ...
Quick Glance: Biden trails Trump in 5 of 6 crucial battleground states
- Biden is behind Trump in five of the six most important battleground states.
- Doubts about Biden's age and dissatisfaction with his economic policies influence Americans' opinions.
- Trump now leads by an average of 48 percent to 44 percent in the six states.
- Biden would need to win many of these states again to be re-elected.
Baseball Hall of Fame: Billy Wagner among 4 ex-Astros on 2024 ballot: Former closer Billy Wagner, who has seen his votes trend upward in recent years ...
Young voters are incensed with how Biden's handled Israel-Hamas war: A key reason for Biden's 2020 victory was a higher-than-ever turnout from younger voters ...
Cogswell declares victory in Charleston mayor race: William Cogswell, a real estate developer and former Statehouse representative, defeats two-term incumbent ...
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!