News articles on this subject
France's First Lady Brigitte Macron Opens Up About Her Marriage To Much-Younger Emmanuel Macron
Three times as much as before: Paris wants to charge a parking fee of 18 euros per hour for SUVs
UN Security Council: USA blocks resolution for ceasefire in Gaza Strip: The humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip is dramatic. That's why the UN Secretary ...
Russian athletes allowed to compete as neutral athletes at 2024 Paris Olympics: The IOC will allow Russian athletes to compete at the Paris Olympics ...
Quick Glance: Russian and Belarusian Athletes Allowed as Neutral Participants for Olympics
- The IOC permits Russian and Belarusian athletes to participate in the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris under a neutral flag.
- Despite the ongoing war against Ukraine, they are allowed to compete under certain conditions.
- The IOC's decision was in response to a clear appeal from international summer sports federations and National Olympic Committees.
- Athletes from Russia and Belarus are prohibited from displaying national symbols and flags in Paris, and their national anthem will not be played.
From the sulk corner: Driving will soon only be for rich people: Paris is trying to transform transport. You can hardly feel any of it. Except: you have to be ...
Texas attorney general petitions state supreme court after woman who sued the state was granted permission for an abortion
UN resolution failed: US vetoes ceasefire in Gaza: The US had demanded changes to the draft, including a condemnation of Hamas attacks. Meanwhile ...
U.N. Secretary-General Demands a Cease-Fire in Gaza: The United States has signaled that it will block the effort.
Quick Glance: UN Chief Urges Cease-Fire in Israel-Hamas War: Live Updates
- UN Security Council considers draft resolution for cease-fire in Gaza after Secretary-General's urging
- Secretary-General exercises rare authority to demand humanitarian cease-fire
- Israel reveals luxury spending by Hamas leader's son to illustrate gap with Gaza residents
- Israeli forces increase pressure on Hamas, highlighting rocket fire from humanitarian zone
BREAKING: Ethan Crumbley has been sentenced to life without the possibility of parole for killing four of his classmates and wounding others in the 2021 ... Show more
Quick Glance: Michigan Teen Shooter Receives Life Sentence
- At 15, he opened fire at Oxford High School, killing four and injuring seven in the worst school shooting in Michigan's history.
- Friday's sentencing followed nearly five hours of emotional testimony from survivors and loved ones of the four young victims.
- The parents in the US face involuntary manslaughter charges for their child's role in a mass shooting, punishable by up to 15 years in prison - a first in the country.
Texas Supreme Court pauses lower court's order allowing pregnant woman to have an abortion
Kentucky woman approximately eight weeks pregnant files lawsuit challenging state’s abortion bans
Quick Glance: Legal Action for Abortion Rights in Kentucky
- A woman in Kentucky is demanding the right to have an abortion through a legal action.
- The ban on abortions in Kentucky violates the rights of the plaintiff.
- Jane Doe, about eight weeks pregnant, wants to have an abortion in Kentucky.
- She is seeking class-action status to include other Kentuckians who desire to have an abortion.
Is the US economy on track for a 'soft landing'? Friday's jobs report may offer clues
Quick Glance: US Job Growth: 199K Added, Unemployment Falls
- Last month, US employers added a solid 199,000 jobs and the unemployment rate dropped.
- The unemployment rate fell from 3.9% to 3.7%, not far from a five-decade low in April.
- The unemployment rate has been below 4% for 22 months, the longest streak since the late 1960s.
- The economy and labor market are showing signs of slowing back to pre-pandemic levels as inflation decreases.
Trial in France: probation and half a year in prison for involvement in the murder of Samuel Paty
Universities Face Congressional Inquiry and Angry Donors Over Handling of Antisemitism
Quick Glance: US College Presidents Testify on Campus Antisemitism
- Jewish students report antisemitic threats and assaults.
- University administrators accused of failing to protect Jewish people.
- Testimony to House Committee on Education on the rise of antisemitism and Islamophobia since the start of the Israel-Hamas conflict.
- Frequent pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel demonstrations on campus have raised allegations of antisemitism.
Krispy Kreme Opens in France, the Latest in a U.S. Fast Food Invasion: The arrival of Krispy Kreme in France is just the latest advance in a decades-long ...
Biden Administration Bypasses Congress to Approve Sale of Tank Shells to Israel: Live Updates
Biden Is Trying to Rein In Israel. Is It Working?: What started as unwavering support has given way to growing skepticism and sometimes open disapproval.
Quick Glance: Netanyahu's Dilemma: Tunnel Conflict to Eradicate Hamas?
- Netanyahu faces a crucial decision: whether to send Israeli troops into the tunnel network below Gaza, which could have major political consequences.
- Entering the tunnel network in Gaza would change the dynamics of the war, giving Hamas a strategic advantage in underground warfare.
- Israeli troops would face enormous challenges due to a lack of information about the tunnels and the potential threats posed by booby traps and ambushes set by Hamas.
- Israel is considering alternative strategies such as using poison gas or flooding the tunnels with seawater to gain an advantage over Hamas fighters.
Federal judge approves settlement barring migrant family separations: A federal judge approved a settlement that prohibits U.S. officials from separating migrant ...
Harvard president apologizes for remarks on campus antisemitism: Harvard University’s president apologized as pressure mounted for the University of ...
1 year until Notre Dame cathedral in Paris reopens to public after fire: When Notre Dame went up in flames in 2019, people who worked in the cathedral felt ...
French far-right leader Marine Le Pen to stand trial over alleged misuse of EU funds
Quick Glance: Increasing Acceptance of Rassemblement National as Governing Party
- Majority opinion in France leans towards Rassemblement National's ability to govern
- Recent events and party discipline boost Rassemblement National's standing
- Le Monde and Franceinfo's data confirms strong support for the far-right party
- Les Républicains and Rassemblement National demonstrate close ties against Emmanuel Macron
Six French teens await a verdict over their alleged roles in Islamic extremist killing of a teacher
Quick Glance: Verdict for Teens in Teacher's Beheading
- Court verdict for six teenagers involved in the beheading of teacher Samuel Paty by an Islamic extremist.
- Teacher Samuel Paty was killed in 2020 after a debate on free expression, for showing his students cartoons of the prophet of Islam.
- Six teenagers are on trial in Paris for their alleged roles in the beheading of a teacher by a radical Islamist, leading to authorities reaffirming France.
- Paty, a history and geography teacher, was killed on October 16, 2020, in a Paris suburb by Abdoullakh Anzorov.
Israel-Hamas war: Isolated United States rejects UN's call for 'immediate ceasefire'
Federal appeals court blocks some of New York gun law: A federal appeals court has blocked enforcement of three parts of a New York gun law ...
Applause to be held for Toon fan, 18, who died after being hit by car : Sonny Farrier had a season ticket from the age of six and sat with his dad and cousin on ...
Man wins $10 million lottery jackpot – for the second time: Wayne Murray clinched the $10 million prize this month in the New York Lottery’s 200X scratch-off ...
Israel-Gaza war live updates: Gazans starving as aid breaks down, U.N. says; U.S. criticized for vetoing cease-fire resolution
Russians and Belarusians who qualify in their sport for the Paris 2024 Olympics can take part as neutrals without flags, emblems or anthems at the event next ... Show more
reuters.com: 401: 6573e0229466b
France's Macron criticised for Hanukkah candle lighting ceremony at Elysee: French President Emmanuel Macron has been criticised by opponents for what they said ...
Hunter Biden Says Right-Wingers Are Trying to Kill Him: “I just won’t let them,” he said on Moby’s podcast.
Quick Glance: Hunter Biden Indicted on 9 Tax Offenses
- Court documents reveal: Hunter Biden indicted on nine tax offenses, including three felony counts.
- Charges include allegations of failure to pay taxes, failure to file tax returns, evasion of assessments, and submission of fraudulent forms.
- Indictment claims defendant spent millions on an extravagant lifestyle instead of paying taxes. Charges brought by special counsel David Weiss.
- White House declined to comment, referred NBC News to Hunter Biden's attorneys and the Justice Department.
Notre-Dame’s Fire-Damaged Spire Rises Again: President Emmanuel Macron had vowed to rebuild within five years from a blaze that marred the famed Paris cathedral ...
As social tensions heighten in France, Macron says he wants to restore hope in the future
Texas judge to consider pregnant woman's request for order allowing her to have an abortion
Quick Glance: Texas Judge Grants Pregnant Woman Abortion Amid State Ban
- District Judge Maya Guerra Gamble grants pregnant woman with fatal diagnosis permission for abortion
- Lawsuit by 31-year-old mother from Dallas area is first of its kind since Roe v. Wade overturn
- Temporary restraining order allows abortion under narrow exceptions to Texas' ban
- Texas and 12 other states have rushed to ban abortion, facing opposition and legal challenges
Israeli Airstrike Kills Palestinian Academic and Activist Refaat Alareer and Family Members
UNLV shooting: Harrowing 911 calls show inside look at chaos on campus: Three people were killed and one was injured in Wednesday's shooting.
Quick Glance: UNLV Active Shooter: Police Responding
- The Las Vegas police are responding to reports of an armed attacker on the grounds of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
- Reports indicate multiple casualties, according to a statement from the police on X.
- Authorities have advised everyone to avoid the area.
- Suspect contained in UNLV shooting, according to police
Washington School for Kids With Disabilities Closes Amid Scrutiny: The state’s investigation of Northwest SOIL, a private program serving public school students ...
Ousted former Speaker Kevin McCarthy endorses Trump for president in 2024: The ousted speaker said he and Trump are "very honest with one another."
Quick Glance: Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy to Leave Congress
- Former Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy, is leaving the House of Representatives in Washington
- McCarthy, 58, announced in a Wall Street Journal column that he will be leaving Congress after holding and then losing the role of speaker for nine months
- His departure could hamper the party's hopes of retaining the majority next year, as he played a significant role in helping Republicans take control of the House in 2022
- Although representing a safe Republican district in California, his departure will further narrow the already slim Republican majority early next year as Congress tries to avert a partial government shutdown in mid-January
California faces record $68 billion budget deficit, analyst says: The nation's most populous state — with an economy that is the fifth largest in the world — has ...
Interior Department Revamps Rules to Speed Repatriations Under NAGPRA: The new Interior Department regulations address long-criticized loopholes and issues ...
Former speaker Kevin McCarthy will retire from Congress at end of year: “I have decided to depart the House at the end of this year to serve America in new ways ...
All the single ladies: Why more women over 50 are going solo and loving it: As divorce stigma abates, even among long-term married people, more women than men in ...
Centenarian Pearl Harbor survivors return to honor those who were killed 82 years ago
How much progress has America made on meeting its climate goals?: Our weekly podcast on democracy in America. This week, we consider if the US can be a climate ...
War in the Middle East: The hypocrites: Many Arab states and the UN are appealing to Israel to stop its military action in Gaza. It would be better if they took ...
Donald Trump's Hanukkah Message Was Very Different to Joe Biden's: Both the current and former president sent messages to mark the first night of the Jewish ...
Strong US labor data dampens expectations that the Federal Reserve might move to cut interest rates any time soon
reuters.com: 401: 65742b1d41fdf
California expands insurance access for teens seeking therapy on their own : A new California law will allow low-income teens on Medicaid to get therapy without ...
Today on Reuters World News podcast: A Texas judge approves a woman's request for an abortion, despite the state's restrictions ... Show more
reuters.com: 401: 6573583633bad
Israel strikes Gaza after failed UN ceasefire bid: GAZA STRIP: Israel pressed its offensive against Hamas militants in Gaza on Saturday (Dec 9) after the United ...
Taylor Swift Spills Tea On Rerecording, Getting Canceled In Time Person Of The Year Profile
Palestinian student shot in Vermont is now paralyzed, family says: Hisham Awartani's family and friends have set a fundraiser to help with the costs of his ...
Quick Glance: Palestinian-American Student Paralyzed in Vermont Shooting
- Hisham Awartani, a Palestinian-Irish-American college student, was shot in an unprovoked attack in Burlington, Vt., and is now paralyzed from the chest down, according to his family.
- Awartani and his two friends were shot near the University of Vermont in Burlington, and he will be released from the hospital next week to begin rehabilitation.
- The 20-year-old Awartani, studying mathematics and archaeology at Brown University, was shot while walking on Thanksgiving by a man as they wore traditional Palestinian scarves.
- His family has set up a GoFundMe to raise money for his medical costs as he may face permanent paralysis from the waist down.
Green protectionism will slow the energy transition : Expanding renewable-power capacity is becoming ever harder
Orbán with Macron: "Great" was at least the dinner: Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán is seeking support from French President Emmanuel Macron ...
Stephen A. Smith knocks DeSantis response to College Football Playoff picks: ‘Will you stop?’
War in the Middle East: US rejects ceasefire in Gaza: In the UN Security Council, a resolution for an immediate ceasefire failed due to the US veto ...
What the rush of congressional retirements means: Untethered from the electorate since they are no longer up for reelection, these members may change have they ...
Paris attack: Conservatives and far right put pressure on government: After a man previously convicted of terrorism killed one and injured two in an attack near ...
Regular medical checks: Drivers in the EU face stricter driving license rules: Drivers in the EU are facing new driving license rules. The exact form these will ...
Ron DeSantis’ Response to the Florida State Football Controversy Captures His Entire Off-Putting Essence
Quick Glance: Florida State AD and Coach Criticize Playoff Committee
- FSU excluded from playoff despite undefeated season, Alford calls it a committee failure.
- Texas (12-1) and Alabama (12-1) leapfrog FSU in playoff rankings to enter the top four.
- Alford warns of destructive consequences of giving in to a narrative of the moment and the damage to the legitimacy of the College Football Playoff.
- Travis' absence changed the committee's view of FSU, despite injuries being allowed in playoff considerations.
Forest Whitaker’s Ex-Wife Keisha Nash Dies at 51: ‘Most Beautiful Woman’: A cause of death was not immediately released.
Quick Glance: Forest Whitaker's Ex-Wife Keisha Nash Dies at 51: 'Most Beautiful Woman'
- Family confirmed Keisha Nash Whitaker, actress and model ex-wife of Forest Whitaker, died this week at 51. No cause of death was immediately released.
- Whitaker and Nash met on the set of Blown Away in 1994. Nash had previously mentioned in an interview with Essence that she had seen Whitaker's performance in A Rage in Harlem in 1991 and thought he had 'a gentle soul and a nice spirit.'
‘What the Heck?’ CNN’s Debate Plans Leave New Hampshire Officials Confused.: The news network said it would host a Republican primary debate in New Hampshire at ...
Quick Glance: CNN to Host 2 GOP Primary Debates in 2024
- CNN will host two Republican primary debates next month in Iowa and New Hampshire, marking the first contests in the race for the 2024 GOP nomination.
- The events will provide Republican voters the opportunity to hear the governing philosophies of the leading candidates seeking to challenge the likely Democratic presidential nominee, President Joe Biden, in November.
- The first debate will take place on January 10 at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, less than a week before Iowa caucuses.
- The second debate will be on January 21 at St. Anselm College in Goffstown, New Hampshire.
Live updates: Israel-Hamas war, Gaza airstrikes, truce talks, IDF offensive: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel's ground operation will continue as ...
Quick Glance: Israel-Gaza: Security Zone around Gaza Strip
- Israel plans security zone to prevent Hamas threats.
- Cease-fire ends, Israel resumes bombardment of Gaza.
- Hamas frees over 100 hostages, Israel releases over 200 Palestinians.
- Ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas approaches two months.
Ukraine, Israel Military Aid Strains Shakey Defense Supply Chain: This is Washington Edition, the newsletter about money, power and politics in the nation’s ...
Why a US-Israel divide is widening over the war, and Gaza’s future: The United States is exhorting Israel to do more to protect Palestinian citizens ...
Does Israel have a vision for the day after Hamas?: Hamas’ rule in Gaza may end due to its own strategic miscalculation, but the real question is what happens ...
Paris' Louvre museum to hike ticket prices by 29%: The Louvre art museum in Paris will hike its basic entrance fee next year by 29%, adding to concerns that ...
Weed killer: Bayer again convicted in glyphosate trial: Bayer's defeats in court are piling up. The company is now expected to pay a woman from Pennsylvania ...
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!