Quick Glance: US to Provide Long-Range ATACMS Missiles to Kyiv - Media Reports
- According to media reports, Ukraine will receive ATACMS missiles with a range of up to 300 km.
- This would allow Kyiv to target Russian positions deep behind the front line.
- President Biden reportedly informed Ukrainian President Zelensky that Kyiv would receive 'a small number' of ATACMS missiles.
- The US and Ukraine have not officially confirmed the American media reports.
Quick Glance: Harris Leads New Office for Preventing Gun Violence
- Vice President Kamala Harris plays a leading role in gun safety policy.
- President Joe Biden officially announces the new office on Friday during a Rose Garden event with invited advocates and lawmakers.
- Harris guides the office, according to a statement from the White House.
- The new Office of Gun Violence Prevention will have a crucial role in implementing President Biden’s and my efforts to reduce violence within the bounds of the law and also to encourage collaboration among Congressional leaders, state and local leaders, and advocates to build upon the significant progress we have made in saving lives.
Quick Glance: White House prepares for government shutdown as House Republicans lack a viable plan
- Speaker Kevin McCarthy announces that the House will start voting on the latest plan next week.
- The White House is preparing to direct federal agencies to get ready for a shutdown after House Republicans left without a realistic plan to fund the government and avoid disruptive consequences.
- A federal shutdown after September 30 appears likely unless Speaker Kevin McCarthy can convince his rebellious, right-wing faction to approve a temporary funding measure to prevent closures during ongoing talks.
- The standoff with House Republicans over government funding jeopardizes various activities, including military and law enforcement personnel pay, food safety and aid programs, air travel, and passport processing, potentially causing havoc in the US economy.
Quick Glance: The West's Modi Challenge
- The US and its allies view India as a key economic and diplomatic partner.
- The images of the Indian Prime Minister leading the world's most powerful people at the G20 summit have strengthened Modi's domestic image and highlighted India's global rise as a diplomatic and economic power.
- According to the Financial Times, Biden and other western leaders expressed concerns about Canada's allegations to the Indian leader during the summit.
- These countries have placed their geopolitical bet on India, specifically on Modi.
Quick Glance: Free COVID Tests by Mail Starting Monday
- California-based iHealth is among 12 US manufacturers receiving government investment to offer free tests by mail before the winter COVID season.
- Starting Monday, September 25, the government will send up to four free COVID-19 rapid tests per household to those who request them.
- Many programs that provided free COVID testing, treatment, and vaccinations to Americans ended when the pandemic emergency designation expired.
- The Department of Health and Human Services is now investing $600 million in COVID test manufacturing through its Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response.
There is still a good year until the US election ...
Quick Glance: Gabriel warns of negative consequences of another Trump election
- A re-election of Trump would have serious consequences for Germany and Europe.
- Gabriel warns of negative impact on Ukraine in the event of Trump's re-election.
- Trump does not consider alliances like NATO as valuable.
- Germany and Europe are urged to prepare for difficult times in the event of a second Trump presidency.
Quick Glance: Five Indicators of Republican Electoral Setbacks
- Republicans have faced multiple electoral and legal defeats, raising concerns about their ability to regain the White House.
- A recent Harvard-Harris survey showed that Trump would have the support of 44 percent of Americans in a presidential election matchup against Biden, compared to just 40 percent for the incumbent. However, the GOP's national improvement has not translated into success at the state level, where the party suffered losses in New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Florida.
- In August, Ohio voters rejected a Republican attempt to make it harder to protect abortion rights in the state constitution.
- In July, a court in New York ordered lawmakers to redraw electoral boundaries, which is expected to give Democrats an advantage in several more seats.
Quick Glance: Biden establishes office for gun control
- President Biden advocates for gun safety laws
- Vice President Harris oversees the office for gun control
- Thousands of people die each year in the US due to gun violence
- Democrats support stricter gun laws to reduce violence
Until General Mark Milley, no chairman of the Joint Chiefs had confronted the possibility that the president might provoke a coup ... Show more
Quick Glance: The Patriot: Mark Milley's Defense of the Constitution
- How General Mark Milley defended the Constitution against Donald Trump
- According to Robert Gates, former Secretary of Defense under Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, no Joint Chiefs chairman has ever faced the same test as Milley.
- Milley referred to Trump as crazy.
- Milley emphasized that apologies are demonstrations of strength.
HAPPENING NOW: Pres. Joe Biden and Vice Pres. Kamala Harris deliver remarks on gun safety. trib.al/lJNPf7k
Quick Glance: New Office for Gun Violence Prevention Established in the White House
- Vice President Kamala Harris will lead the new office and collaborate with leading gun safety advocates.
- The office will implement existing safety laws and work with states.
- Establishing a new office for gun violence prevention has been a long-standing goal for violence prevention groups.
- The office will focus on bringing together political leaders and advocates to build upon the progress that has been made.
Quick Glance: Biden administration grants protection to hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans amid border pressure
- The Biden administration is granting temporary legal status to hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans already in the country.
- The Homeland Security Department plans to grant Temporary Protected Status to an estimated 472,000 Venezuelans who arrived by July 31, 2023.
- This will make it easier for them to get work authorization to address the increased number of migrants.
- Accelerated work permits do not apply to those who cross the border illegally and seek asylum.
Quick Glance: Lachlan Murdoch Inherits Global Media Empire
- Over a span of seven decades, Rupert Murdoch, 92, built a global media empire starting from a single Australian newspaper.
- The Murdoch family manages News Corporation and Fox Corporation through a family trust.
- The family trust holds nearly 40 percent of the voting shares in both companies.
- Rod Tiffen, an emeritus professor at the University of Sydney, criticizes Lachlan's ascent to the leadership of News Corporation and Fox Corporation.
Quick Glance: Ex-White House Staffer Accuses Giuliani of Sexual Assault
- Former Trump White House staffer Cassidy Hutchinson accuses Rudy Giuliani of sexually assaulting her on January 6, 2021, shortly before the Capitol insurrection.
- In her new book 'Enough,' Hutchinson describes Giuliani slipping his hand 'under my blazer, then my skirt' while they were backstage at Trump's speech.
- A spokesperson for Giuliani has denied the allegations.
- Meanwhile, the lawyer who had been leading Giuliani's defense in his legal challenges is suing the former New York City mayor for $1.3 million in unpaid fees.
Quick Glance: Ron DeSantis: Problem with GOP Vaccine Skepticism
- DeSantis openly aligned himself with vaccine skepticism, which is rare among presidential candidates.
- He discussed placing conspiracy theorist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. in a top public health role.
- His team criticized Trump's early push for the Covid vaccine.
- DeSantis is praised for rejecting lockdowns and vaccine mandates.
Quick Glance: Trump disappoints union leaders despite promises for workers
- Union leaders say Trump's record speaks for itself
- Union members support Biden more than Trump
- Trump attempts to prevent union dues
- Trump has abandoned some communities that supported him
PM #NarendraModi has invited U.S. President #JoeBiden to be the chief guest at the 2024 #RepublicDay celebrations. Watch for more
Quick Glance: Modi invites Biden to India's 2024 Republic Day celebrations
- Indian Prime Minister Modi invites US President Biden to the celebrations on January 26, 2024
- Invitation to India's Republic Day
- Modi and Biden will participate in the celebrations
- Strengthening India-US relations
Quick Glance: US Senator Menendez Indicted for Bribery
- Indictment unsealed against chair of powerful foreign relations committee and his wife
- Menendez, Democratic senator from New Jersey, allegedly accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes
- He is accused of using his influence to benefit the Government of Egypt
- Further allegations include attempting to disrupt a criminal investigation
Quick Glance: Polish Politics Shaped by 'Ukraine Fatigue'
- Poland provides leading military assistance to protect Poland from Russian aggression.
- The change in tone of the Polish government regarding Ukraine is surprising.
- There is discussion about the importance of Ukraine's gratitude for Polish support.
- Andrzej Duda compared Ukraine to a drowning man endangering his rescuers.
Attorneys for former Pres. Trump and his co-defendants in the New York attorney general's $250 million fraud lawsuit are scheduled to appear in New York ... Show more
Quick Glance: Judge to Decide on Summary Judgment in $250M Lawsuit Against Trump
- The trial is scheduled for October 2nd.
- Attorneys defend former President Donald Trump and co-defendants in the $250 million fraud case brought by the New York Attorney General's office.
- Judge Engoron will hear arguments on a motion for summary judgment.
- Trump denies any wrongdoing and requests the judge to make a decision based on insufficient evidence prior to the trial.
Quick Glance: US supports proposed multinational force in Haiti with $100 million
- The people in Haiti are in urgent need of support.
- Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry emphasizes the urgency and the need for police and military.
- It is crucial for the Security Council to authorize the mission as soon as possible.
- The support mission will not replace political progress.
Quick Glance: Biden launches American Climate Corps, inspired by the New Deal
- President Biden pledged to create the Climate Corps during his first week in office.
- A program aimed at engaging young climate activists.
- The American Climate Corps is based on a program that provided employment to millions during the Great Depression.
- According to President Biden's climate policy advisor, Ali Zaidi, the program has broader goals beyond addressing the climate crisis.
Recommended for you