News articles on this subject
Swalwell: McCarthy shares Speakership with Trump, Greene and Gaetz: Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) on Sunday criticized Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s (R-Calif ...
Hunter Biden indicted on 9 tax charges as special counsel investigation continues
Quick Glance: Hunter Biden Indicted on 9 Tax Offenses
- Court documents reveal: Hunter Biden indicted on nine tax offenses, including three felony counts.
- Charges include allegations of failure to pay taxes, failure to file tax returns, evasion of assessments, and submission of fraudulent forms.
- Indictment claims defendant spent millions on an extravagant lifestyle instead of paying taxes. Charges brought by special counsel David Weiss.
- White House declined to comment, referred NBC News to Hunter Biden's attorneys and the Justice Department.
Ousted former Speaker Kevin McCarthy endorses Trump for president in 2024: The ousted speaker said he and Trump are "very honest with one another."
Quick Glance: Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy to Leave Congress
- Former Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy, is leaving the House of Representatives in Washington
- McCarthy, 58, announced in a Wall Street Journal column that he will be leaving Congress after holding and then losing the role of speaker for nine months
- His departure could hamper the party's hopes of retaining the majority next year, as he played a significant role in helping Republicans take control of the House in 2022
- Although representing a safe Republican district in California, his departure will further narrow the already slim Republican majority early next year as Congress tries to avert a partial government shutdown in mid-January
Kevin McCarthy says he will leave Congress at the end of December: Decision caps dramatic fall from power for former House Speaker and Republican leader
Quick Glance: Former Ukrainian Lawmaker Killed Near Moscow
- Ilya Kiva, accused of treason, was assassinated near Moscow by Ukrainian special forces.
- Kiva, a supporter of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, fled to Russia after facing treason charges.
- Two Ukrainian officials confirmed that the SBU carried out the operation to kill Kiva.
- His death is the latest in a series of assassinations of Ukrainian defectors and Russians involved in Moscow’s invasion.
Raskin says ‘good riddance’ to McCarthy, blasting Jan. 6 response: Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) said “good riddance” to Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) ...
How Kyle Shanahan and Brock Purdy became 49ers’ perfect mindmeld: Brock Purdy and Kyle Shanahan of the San Francisco 49ers have developed that rare dream in the ...
McCarthy ally and former speaker pro tempore Patrick McHenry will not seek reelection
Quick Glance: Patrick McHenry Announces Retirement from Congress
- Rep. Patrick McHenry announced he will not seek reelection.
- McHenry, 48, from Lincoln County, surprised with this decision just weeks after a tumultuous time without a House speaker.
- McHenry spent most of his time in Congress working to become chair of the House Financial Services Committee.
- The slim majority of House Republicans allowed the far-right House Freedom Caucus to hold bills and policy hostage.
California Muni Bonds Still See Demand Despite $68 Billion State Budget Deficit: Municipal bond investors seem to have brushed off news that California’s budget ...
Cruel World 2024: Duran Duran, Interpol, Blondie, Simple Minds will play Pasadena
Marjorie Taylor Greene on shrinking GOP majority: ‘Hopefully no one dies’: Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) offered a grim outlook on the shrinking GOP ...
Former speaker Kevin McCarthy will retire from Congress at end of year: “I have decided to depart the House at the end of this year to serve America in new ways ...
Feds grant $6 billion for high-speed rail projects: The Department of Transportation announced more than $6 billion in grant funding for high-speed rail projects ...
Quick Glance: Investment Boost for High-Speed Rail Network
- Three billion US dollars for Brightline West, a proposed high-speed rail line from Las Vegas to Southern California, were announced this week by the White House.
- Two high-speed rail projects in Nevada and California are receiving significant financial support from Washington.
- The Biden administration has pledged over 6 billion US dollars in federal funding for high-speed rail to close the gap between the US and other developed nations in fast and reliable passenger services.
- The allocated funds will be used for the construction of a 171-mile segment between Merced and Bakersfield in California's Central Valley.
DeSantis and Newsom lob insults and talk some policy in an unusual debate: In an alternate reality, the prime-time showdown between California Democratic Gov ...
Quick Glance: Key Points in DeSantis-Newsom Debate on Fox
- DeSantis and Newsom will participate in a 90-minute debate titled 'DeSantis vs. Newsom: The Great Red vs. Blue State Debate,' moderated by Fox News host Sean Hannity.
- Both governors have developed a growing rivalry over the past months and may use the debate to boost their political careers.
- Expect personal attacks between Newsom and DeSantis, as they have criticized each other in the past.
- The outcome of the debate could impact the perception of Florida and California, as both governors have clashed over various political issues.
House GOP campaign arm plans reception "thanking" Kevin McCarthy: The Dec. 13 event will thank McCarthy for his "for his tireless work."
Florida Democrat posts joking ‘in memoriam’ video for Santos, McCarthy: A Florida congressman posted a joking “in memoriam” video featuring former House Speaker ...
Kevin McCarthy Says Matt Gaetz ‘Belongs in Jail’: Gaetz led the charge to oust McCarthy from the speakership earlier this year.
Kevin McCarthy is leaving Congress. He’s not alone.: In the U.S., the unusually high number of lawmakers stepping down has been interpreted by some as a sign of ...
California faces record $68 billion budget deficit, analyst says: The nation's most populous state — with an economy that is the fifth largest in the world — has ...
Kevin McCarthy Said He Visited Mar-a-Lago After Jan. 6 Because Trump Was ‘Depressed’ and ‘Not Eating’
U.S. pulling visas from Jewish Israeli settlers who attack West Bank Palestinians
Quick Glance: US Imposes Travel Ban on Extremist West Bank Settlers
- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken announces travel bans for extremist Jewish settlers in the West Bank.
- The bans are a response to a series of attacks on Palestinians in the occupied West Bank.
- The measure was announced after a warning to Israel about attacks by the Biden administration.
- The US is calling on Israel to hold extremist settlers accountable and take action to prevent further attacks.
Civilians are 'center of gravity' in Gaza war: US defense secretary: U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin delivered perhaps his strongest remarks to date on ...
Knott’s Berry Farm adding 4 rides in Camp Snoopy makeover: The Camp Snoopy makeover set to debut Memorial Day Weekend 2024 will add a new family coaster and ...
Here’s how McCarthy’s resignation affects House GOP’s slim majority: The resignation of former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), combined with other expected ...
If there's a winner that chooses the cash option for Friday's Mega Millions drawing, they will go home with more than $188.2 million.
Exclusive: New leader of GM's Cruise acknowledges 'all-time low' amid safety review
Swalwell predicts McCarthy will leave Congress in coming weeks: Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) predicted former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif ...
Man Gets 6 Months in Prison for Destroying Evidence of Intentional Plane Crash: Trevor D. Jacob, a YouTuber from Lompoc, Calif., removed the wreckage of the ...
A California lake has enough lithium to power 375 million EVs: California’s Salton Sea has been a known hotbed of lithium for years, but no one has previously ...
Quick Glance: California's Salton Sea: Source of Lithium for 375 Million EVs
- Salton Sea holds one of the world's largest lithium brine deposits.
- The reserves could supply enough lithium for 375 million electric vehicle batteries.
- Experts predict a dramatic increase in lithium demand by 2030.
- Despite ecological issues, the US could achieve lithium self-sufficiency thanks to the Salton Sea.
Jewish groups sue University of California over ‘unchecked’ antisemitism: A pair of Jewish organizations filed suit against the University of California (UC) ...
Quick Glance: Lawsuit Against UC Over Antisemitism Allegations
- Jewish organizations file lawsuit against UC and UC Berkeley, alleging unchecked antisemitism.
- The suit claims that antisemitism has been tolerated at UC Berkeley Law for over a year.
- Nearly two dozen student organizations at UC Berkeley Law are accused of forcing Jewish students to go against their identities to participate in activities.
- The lawsuit argues that UC Berkeley violates antidiscriminatory policies and is hostile towards Zionist students, thus violating the Equal Protection and Free Exercise clauses of the US Constitution and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.
Kelly Clarkson's Ex-Husband Owes Her $2.6 Million For Making Illegal Deals, Ruling Finds
Liz Cheney says she may launch 3rd party bid against Trump, claims he could end democracy
Quick Glance: Liz Cheney Considers Third Party, Warns of Trump-led Threat
- Liz Cheney, once a rising GOP leader, is ready to create a new third party or run for president with one.
- She hopes to play a role in establishing a new conservative party, as restoring the current Republican Party seems impossible.
- Cheney is open to joining a bipartisan ticket in the next election to include both Republicans and Democrats.
- She warns of Trump as an existential threat and suggests that a third party could provide voters with an alternative.
New McDonald's restaurants and burger changes rolling out: McDonald's is looking to grow worldwide and drive restaurant sales.
Quick Glance: McDonald's Expansion Goals for 2027
- McDonald's aims to open over 8,800 locations and add 100 million members to its loyalty program by 2027.
- The expansion goals are part of the long-term growth plans of the fast-food giant.
- For 2024, McDonald's is projecting a 4% net new growth in restaurants.
- By 2027, McDonald's plans to have a global presence of 50,000 locations and intends to open 900 U.S. locations, 1,900 restaurants in its international operated markets, and approximately 7,000 units in its internationally licensed developmental areas.
Quick Glance: The Legacy of Henry Kissinger's Diplomacy
- Understanding the subtle interplay between interests, values, and the use of force remains relevant
- Many perceive him as the foremost advocate of an amoral realism that stains America
- However, Mr. Kissinger was distinguished not only by his Realpolitik, but also by the idealism that permeated his diplomatic practice
- Today, this means preserving peace between China and America
Spending deal that helped sink McCarthy sees new hope as conservatives ease up: After months of infighting, bruising failed floor votes and the historic ouster ...
US solar industry poised for slower growth next year after record-setting 2023 - report
Historic California lighthouse will finally reopen after 25 years: The 151-year-old lighthouse in San Mateo County, off-limits for 25 years ...
Top US General Warns Everyone Should Be ‘Worried’ About War With China: General Charles Q. Brown Jr. also stressed that the U.S. military is "ready for ...
The House is making history, but not as Republicans envisioned: The House is making history this year. It's just in ways that Republicans could hardly have ...
Stellantis to cut Detroit SUV production, citing California emissions rules: Chrysler parent Stellantis (STLAM.MI) said on Thursday it will temporarily cut one ...
Def Leppard-Journey 2024 tour: California dates: Def Leppard and Journey will hit the road next year, for a summer stadium tour beginning in July ...
US envoy Kerry launches international nuclear fusion plan at COP28: U.S. special climate envoy John Kerry on Tuesday launched an international engagement plan to ...
Johnson moves to corral GOP hardliners as tension grows in ranks: Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene had a bone to pick with the new speaker.
No One Is Shedding a Tear for Kevin McCarthy: On this week’s episode of The New Abnormal, why people are so keen to forget that Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) didn’t ...
US bars imports from 3 more Chinese companies over Uyghur forced labor: The United States restricted imports from three more Chinese companies ...
The northern lights could be visible in California tonight: Following intense solar activity, it’s conceivable that Northern Californians could see aurora ...
Kurtenbach: If you don’t take Brock Purdy’s MVP candidacy seriously, you don’t know football
Trump should pick Haley as VP, McCarthy says: Former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said in an interview Wednesday that he would advise former President Trump ...
US election 2020: Trump is said to have admitted defeat very early in a small circle - says Liz Cheney
A pilotless plane just flew for 12 minutes over Northern California: A Cessna cargo aircraft, borrowed from FedEx by a Silicon Valley company ...
Kevin McCarthy Resignation Sparks Fears of Republicans Dying: Several Republican leaders voiced concern over the House GOP's elderly members.
Divisions leave Florida’s House Republicans powerless: The lack of a cohesive delegation has allowed attention-seeking lawmakers to act on their own.
It’s Not Just Kevin McCarthy. Members of Congress Are Fleeing at a Record Pace.: More than 30 representatives have announced their intention to bolt.
Review: Three all-time Latin greats combine for magical night of music: Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias, Pitbull visit SAP Center in San Jose with co-headlining ...
Charlie Munger lived in the same home for 70 years: Rich people who build 'really fancy houses' become 'less happy'
Exclusive: Liz Cheney’s new book blasts GOP as ‘enablers and collaborators’ of Trump, whom one member called ‘Orange Jesus’
Teaching Cursive Makes a Comeback, Now that Kids Can’t Read Grandma’s Letters: More than a decade after many wrote off the handwriting style, states are bringing ...
Beyoncé's 'Renaissance' wears the crown at the box office: 'Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé' took home the top spot at this weekend's box office ...
The Stuff-a-Bus toy drive returns to Honda Center Dec. 8: There have been years when nearly 30 buses have been stuffed with donated toys for area youth who might ...
Hillary Clinton at COP28 climate talks calls for insurance reform: Former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called on Sunday for reform of the insurance ...
Corona del Mar home with one of West Coast’s longest private docks nabs $24.5M: Beyond the soaring foyer lie five bedrooms, nine bathrooms and vanishing glass ...
S.F. parents call for pro-Palestinian group to be cut from schools: S.F. parents call for pro-Palestinian group to be kicked out of city schools for activism ...
Lottery player scores $10 million jackpot — again. He won the same prize in 2022: A Brooklyn man won his second $10 million jackpot in two years on a scratch-off ...
PHOTOS: Stars honored on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: From actors to television stars to musicians, thousands have been honored with an infamous pink star on the ...
Departure by the end of this year: McCarthy resigns with a “smile on his face”: First, Kevin McCarthy loses his position as leader of the US House of ...
PHOTOS: The Hollywood Reporter’s Women in Entertainment Gala in Beverly Hills, Calif.
Missing woman was killed by man who had a grudge, Mariposa County sheriff says: A body found last week in the Sierra National Forest is believed to be that of ...
Valencia Street music venue Amado closes, owner blames bike lane: Amado’s, a music venue on Valencia Street, permanently closed its doors last week ...
Tons of tamales in time for the holidays: The annual La Habra Tamale Festival was held Saturday, with visitors filling up on the tasty treats as well as holiday ...
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!