Quick Glance: US Judge Overturns California's High-Capacity Gun Magazine Ban
- A federal judge in California declared the ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition unconstitutional.
- The judge ruled that the ban violated firearms owners' Second Amendment rights.
- The ban was criticized for going too far by preventing the lawful use of magazines, including for self-defense.
- California's Attorney General plans to appeal the decision.
Quick Glance: Sophie Turner sues Joe Jonas for return of children to 'forever home' in England
- Sophie Turner files petition in New York City for Jonas to return their children to their home in England.
- Turner planned to return to England this month with the children, but Jonas refused to give them their passports.
- Jonas has been caring for the children while Turner was working on a new series.
- Turner outlines the couple's efforts to find their 'forever home' in England and their agreement to settle in the UK.
Quick Glance: Gauff Shines Bright with US Open Victory
- Gauff wins US Open title and lies on the ground
- Eleven years later, the American teenager finds herself in the same stadium, now lifting a dream Grand Slam trophy.
- Gauff defeats future world number one Sabalenka to claim her first Grand Slam title.
- Gauff reflects on her US Open victory, saying, 'I felt like I lost a little bit of the dream as this journey has gone on - for sure, after the Wimbledon loss.'
Quick Glance: Drew Barrymore delays season launch due to Hollywood strikes
- National Book Awards drop Barrymore as host for this year.
- Barrymore waits for labor issues to be resolved before resuming production of her talk show.
- Her show resumed in New York last week and was picketed by striking writers.
- Talk shows fall under a separate contract, the Network Code, different from the one actors and writers are striking.
Attorneys for former Pres. Trump and his co-defendants in the New York attorney general's $250 million fraud lawsuit are scheduled to appear in New York ... Show more
Quick Glance: Judge to Decide on Summary Judgment in $250M Lawsuit Against Trump
- The trial is scheduled for October 2nd.
- Attorneys defend former President Donald Trump and co-defendants in the $250 million fraud case brought by the New York Attorney General's office.
- Judge Engoron will hear arguments on a motion for summary judgment.
- Trump denies any wrongdoing and requests the judge to make a decision based on insufficient evidence prior to the trial.
Quick Glance: Biden administration grants protection to hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans amid border pressure
- The Biden administration is granting temporary legal status to hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans already in the country.
- The Homeland Security Department plans to grant Temporary Protected Status to an estimated 472,000 Venezuelans who arrived by July 31, 2023.
- This will make it easier for them to get work authorization to address the increased number of migrants.
- Accelerated work permits do not apply to those who cross the border illegally and seek asylum.
Quick Glance: US returns Nazi-stolen Egon Schiele art to heirs
- Fritz Grünbaum's family has sought the return of his Schiele art for over two decades.
- Some of the art was also in the possession of Ronald Lauder, president of the World Jewish Congress, and the estate of Serge Sabarsky, a well-known art collector, who agreed to return them.
- The return of these art pieces follows last week's notification by Manhattan prosecutors of their intent to seize three other artworks from galleries in Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Ohio.
- The New York state Supreme Court says there is reasonable cause to believe that the artworks constitute stolen property.
Diggs will miss the rest of the 2023 season after ...
Cowboys' Jerry Jones on replacing Trevon Diggs after ACL tear
Quick Glance: Cowboys Star CB Injured After Thursday Practice
- Dallas Cowboys cornerback Trevon Diggs was seen on crutches at the team's facility after practice on Thursday.
- Quarterback Dak Prescott was asked about Diggs' status at the end of the day, although reporters were not present to witness the portion of practice where Diggs may have been injured.
- The Cowboys have not provided a description of the incident that may have caused Diggs' injury or an update on his status, but the crutches are a concerning sign for his availability this weekend.
- During training camp, Diggs signed the team's biggest offseason deal with a five-year extension worth $97 million.
Quick Glance: US Senator Menendez Indicted for Bribery
- Indictment unsealed against chair of powerful foreign relations committee and his wife
- Menendez, Democratic senator from New Jersey, allegedly accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes
- He is accused of using his influence to benefit the Government of Egypt
- Further allegations include attempting to disrupt a criminal investigation
Quick Glance: Lawsuit filed against Rudy Giuliani for unpaid legal fees
- Giuliani's former attorney is suing him for outstanding bills totaling $1.36 million.
- Giuliani has only paid $214,000 and still has an outstanding balance of $1.36 million.
- Attorney Robert Costello and his law firm also provided legal representation for Giuliani in various lawsuits.
- To cut costs, Giuliani has represented himself in certain legal disputes.
The singer shared the news amid a swirl of rumors about her ...
Teyana Taylor And Iman Shumpert Separate After 7 Years Of Marriage
Quick Glance: Teyana Taylor and Iman Shumpert Split After 7 Years of Marriage
- Another celebrity couple calls it quits: Teyana Taylor and Iman Shumpert.
- Taylor took to Instagram to emphasize that the split is amicable.
- We are still the best of friends, great business partners, and a formidable team when it comes to co-parenting our 2 beautiful children.
- Shumpert and Taylor started dating 10 years ago and got married in 2016.
Quick Glance: Divergent Views on Immigration: Emmanuel Macron and Pope Francis
- The French president and the pontiff will meet during an episcopal visit to Marseille.
- Macron advocates for firmness and control of migratory flows, while the pope supports the broadest possible reception of foreigners.
- The pope is expected to offer a prayer for migrants who have disappeared at sea.
- On Saturday, he is scheduled to meet French President Emmanuel Macron in Marseille.
Quick Glance: Free COVID Tests by Mail Starting Monday
- California-based iHealth is among 12 US manufacturers receiving government investment to offer free tests by mail before the winter COVID season.
- Starting Monday, September 25, the government will send up to four free COVID-19 rapid tests per household to those who request them.
- Many programs that provided free COVID testing, treatment, and vaccinations to Americans ended when the pandemic emergency designation expired.
- The Department of Health and Human Services is now investing $600 million in COVID test manufacturing through its Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response.
Quick Glance: Trump Allegedly Instructed Aide to Conceal Knowledge of Documents
- Former assistant Molly Michael revealed that Trump instructed her not to disclose information about classified files.
- The revelations about Michael's discussions with investigators highlight the extent and nature of the evidence collected by federal prosecutors in the documents case.
- Michael stated that Trump would write notes on the documents, listing tasks he wanted to be done.
- Her remarks could be used to portray the former president as careless with sensitive government documents and to emphasize his efforts to keep information about the files hidden from investigators.
Quick Glance: Vanna White receives pay raise and extends contract with 'Wheel of Fortune'
- Vanna White is staying with 'Wheel of Fortune'.
- She has signed a new two-year contract that extends until the 2025-26 TV season.
- White will receive a substantial pay increase to stay.
- Sajak and White currently have ongoing contracts that end after this season.
An Long Island bus accident off I-84 in New York killed 2 ...
NY bus with high school band crashes on I-84; 2 dead and 5 critically injured
Quick Glance: Fatal Bus Crash in New York State
- One person has died and dozens are injured, at least five of them seriously, after a bus crashed and slid down an embankment.
- New York State Police described it as a 'serious bus crash with multiple serious injuries'.
- Approximately 45 people were on board, mostly children, according to Orange County Executive Steve Neuhaus.
- The accident occurred on Interstate 84 in the town of Wawayanda, around 75 miles northwest of New York City, as stated by the police.
US President Joe Biden, who is raising cash for his re-election campaign while visiting New York for meetings with world leaders ... Show more
Quick Glance: Biden running for re-election to protect democracy
- Biden, 80, tells supporters at a fundraiser: 'Believe me, I know better than anyone.'
- Biden defeated former President Donald Trump, who ran on a 'Make America Great Again' (MAGA) slogan, in the 2020 election and may face him again next year.
- The president is seeking to rally the world to stand up to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Biden says, 'Maybe Trump and his MAGA friends can bow down, but I won't.'
Quick Glance: Black Student Suspended for Hairstyle - School Denies Discrimination
- Darryl George, a student at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, was suspended despite the state's ban on racial discrimination based on hairstyles.
- George, 17, has been suspended since August 31 at the school near Houston.
- "Our hair is the expression of our strength, it is our roots," said Darresha George.
- In 2018, a white referee in New Jersey instructed a black high school wrestler to cut his dreadlocks or forfeit the match.
Quick Glance: Selenskyj calls for sustained support at UN General Assembly
- Ukrainian President warns against discontinuation of support for his country
- US President Biden and Polish President Duda back Selenskyj
- Selenskyj accuses Moscow of attacking his country not only militarily but also using other means
- Fatigue in support for Kyiv emerging in some parts of the world
Quick Glance: Biden launches American Climate Corps, inspired by the New Deal
- President Biden pledged to create the Climate Corps during his first week in office.
- A program aimed at engaging young climate activists.
- The American Climate Corps is based on a program that provided employment to millions during the Great Depression.
- According to President Biden's climate policy advisor, Ali Zaidi, the program has broader goals beyond addressing the climate crisis.
The Biden administration is in talks with Vietnam over an agreement for the ...
Quick Glance: Exclusive: Biden Representatives in Talks with Vietnam for Arms Deal That Could Annoy China
- US President Biden visits Vietnam
- Negotiations for historic arms transfer between the US and Vietnam
- Possible sale of F-16 fighter jets to Vietnam
- Deal could escalate tensions with China and sideline Russia
Quick Glance: Ex-White House Staffer Accuses Giuliani of Sexual Assault
- Former Trump White House staffer Cassidy Hutchinson accuses Rudy Giuliani of sexually assaulting her on January 6, 2021, shortly before the Capitol insurrection.
- In her new book 'Enough,' Hutchinson describes Giuliani slipping his hand 'under my blazer, then my skirt' while they were backstage at Trump's speech.
- A spokesperson for Giuliani has denied the allegations.
- Meanwhile, the lawyer who had been leading Giuliani's defense in his legal challenges is suing the former New York City mayor for $1.3 million in unpaid fees.
Quick Glance: Double Rainbow Appears over New York City on 9/11
- New Yorkers delighted in witnessing a double rainbow over New York City on the 22nd anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks on the Twin Towers.
Quick Glance: Ukraine's Zelenskiy: We Want to Be Heard
- President Zelenskiy visits wounded Ukrainian soldiers at a hospital in New York.
- Zelenskiy emphasizes the importance of their messages being heard by their partners.
- The president expresses concerns about the presence of Russian terrorists at the United Nations.
- Zelenskiy plans to meet with US President Biden, members of Congress, military officials, and business representatives.
Just a moment...: 403: 650e236e83661
Quick Glance: Former US Congressman Sentenced to 22 Months for Insider Trading
- Stephen Buyer faces trial in New York for insider trading
- Buyer receives a 22-month prison sentence for trading on insider information related to the merger of T-Mobile US Inc. and Sprint in 2018
- Judge Richard Berman sentences Buyer for four counts of securities fraud in March
- Buyer purchases Sprint stock following a conversation with a T-Mobile executive and makes illegal trades again the following year
In New York a crowd draws a crowd, but when the prince showed up at least one tourist was “awe-struck.”
Quick Glance: Prince William explores manmade oyster bed in New York river
- Prince William visits a unique project to restore oyster reefs in New York.
- He examines a manmade oyster bed in Brooklyn Bridge Park.
- The prince meets with students, volunteers, and restaurateurs involved in the Billion Oyster Project.
- The project aims to increase the oyster population while protecting the environment.
Quick Glance: Love on a Solo Journey: How Kacie Rose Burns Found Happiness in Italy
- Kacie walked into a jazz bar in Florence, all by herself.
- She spent a week showing Dario her life in New York.
- For Kacie and Dario, there were only three options: long-distance relationship, marriage, or moving to Italy.
- Dario and Kacie have settled in Florence for now, but they are open to the possibility of a future change.
BREAKING: A kilogram of fentanyl was stored on top of children’s play mats used for napping at the New York City day care where a 1-year-old boy died from ... Show more
Quick Glance: Kilogram of Fentanyl Found in NYC Day Care Center
- Package containing thousands of dollars worth of fentanyl discovered in day care center
- Owner of day care center claims no knowledge of the potent drug
- One kilogram of fentanyl and press device found in closet
- Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid and leading cause of overdose deaths
Quick Glance: New York City Pension Funds Sue Fox Over Election Misinformation
- New York City’s pension funds have filed a lawsuit against the Fox Corporation and its board for neglecting their duty to shareholders by exposing themselves to defamation lawsuits due to the continuous spread of misinformation about the 2020 presidential election.
- The funds are long-term shareholders of Fox Corporation, the parent company of Fox News, according to a spokesperson for the comptroller.
- The State of Oregon, representing Oregon’s public employees retirement fund, is joining the New York City funds in their lawsuit against Fox.
- The board includes media mogul Rupert Murdoch and his son Lachlan Murdoch, who control the company.
Quick Glance: Culture Enabled Russell Brand
- Brand did not create the culture of the Noughties.
- We fostered a culture with leaked sex tapes and upskirt pictures of female celebrities.
- It was a time of sexual permissiveness, mainly granted to men.
- Culture doesn’t produce predators, but it can facilitate them.
Quick Glance: Jann Wenner removed from Rock & Roll Hall of Fame board
- Jann Wenner, co-founder of Rolling Stone, has been removed from the Board of Directors of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation.
- The Hall of Fame did not provide a reason for this decision.
- Wenner previously made derogatory remarks about black and female musicians.
- Wenner could not be reached for comment on his removal.
Quick Glance: 9/11 defendant ruled unfit for trial due to torture-induced psychosis
- A military judge in Guantanamo Bay has declared one of the 9/11 defendants unfit for trial after a military medical panel determined that the man's sustained abuse in CIA custody has left him permanently psychotic.
- Pre-trial hearings for the remaining defendants resumed on Friday in the military courtroom at the U.S. naval base in Cuba.
- No trial date has been set for the case, which has been delayed by logistical issues, high turnover, and legal challenges.
- A military medical panel last month diagnosed al-Shibh with post-traumatic stress disorder and secondary psychosis, attributing it to his torture and solitary confinement during his four years in CIA custody following his 2002 arrest.
Recommended for you