News articles on this subject
Senate Republicans get ready to roll Tuberville on military holds : Republican senators are laying the groundwork to vote before Christmas on a ...
Senate panel moves toward ending Sen. Tuberville's blockade of military nominations
Quick Glance: Senate Pushes Resolution to End Sen. Tuberville's Blockade
- Democrats pursue resolution for quick confirmation of military nominees
- Nearly 400 military nominees in limbo due to Tuberville's hold on confirmations and promotions.
- Tuberville's blockade leads to unfilled national security positions and uncertainty for military families.
- Resolution approved for confirming military nominees for the remainder of the term, facing Republican opposition.
Senate Chair shoots down resolution supporting SC verdict against army courts: Despite multiple pleas to present a resolution in support of the Supreme Court’s ...
Senate Republicans fail to stop Biden’s new student loan income-driven repayment plan
Sen. Tommy Tuberville Signals He May Back Down on Military Noms in the ‘Very Near Future’
Schumer vows to break Tuberville’s military promotions blockade by end of 2023: The Democratic Senate Majority Leader stated, "Senators should expect long ...
WATCH LIVE: Senate meets after House passes budget resolution preventing government shutdown
Quick Glance: Senate Passes Legislation to Prevent Government Shutdown
- The Senate approved a bill on Wednesday to extend funding for federal agencies and sent the legislation to prevent a government shutdown to President Biden, just days before the weekend deadline.
- The bill, passed by a vote of 87-11, signifies a significant de-escalation between congressional Democrats and the new House Speaker, Mike Johnson (R-La.).
- Without the new spending measure, referred to as a continuing resolution or CR, the government would have closed shortly after midnight on Saturday, compelling federal employees - including military personnel and airport security officers - to work without pay or go on furlough on the eve of Thanksgiving.
- These concessions were sufficient to secure easy bipartisan support in the Senate, which is much less concerned with spending debates.
After House lawmakers, Hontiveros urges Marcos gov’t to help ICC probe into drug war
Quick Glance: Hontiveros Urges Cooperation from Marcos Gov't in ICC Drug War Probe | The wRap
- Following House lawmakers, Hontiveros calls on Marcos gov’t to support ICC probe into drug war
- Senate Deputy Minority Leader Risa Hontiveros submitted a resolution on Tuesday, November 28, asking the Philippine government to collaborate with the International Criminal Court’s investigation into former president Rodrigo Duterte's deadly drug war.
Cruz: Tuberville’s military holds ‘will get resolved’ soon : Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) says he believes that his Republican colleagues will soon reach a deal with ...
Sen. Murphy says Johnson’s ‘laddered’ stopgap funding plan ‘looks gimmicky’: Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) said Sunday that House Speaker Mike Johnson’s (R-La ...
Dem Lawmaker Schools Marjorie Taylor Greene In Takedown For The Ages: The conspiracy theorist lawmaker gets a basic lesson in civics during a tense House floor ...
Why Sen. Tommy Tuberville finally dropped his military promotions blockade: The Alabama senator had been blocking the advancement of senior officers for 10 ...
Tuberville said US has the 'weakest military' in his lifetime: Tuberville failed to mention that he's personally prevented hundreds of officers from being ...
Quick Glance: Critics Slam Tommy Tuberville for New U.S. Military Insult
- Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.) under fire for insulting U.S. military on Monday evening.
- Critics point out that U.S. military weakness is not due to 'wokeness'.
- Tuberville's latest comments about weakened U.S. military faced immediate backlash.
- Tuberville obstructs 300+ military appointments while speaking negatively about our military.
House Passes Stopgap Bill Averting Government Shutdown—Kicking Issue To January: The latest stopgap measure will fund the government through January ...
House passes bill to avoid government shutdown, Senate to vote next: Republicans' two-step continuing resolution to fund the government in phases passed with the ...
Uproar in Pakistan’s Senate over resolution backing military courts to try Imran Khan's supporters
Kamala Harris breaks record for most tiebreaking Senate votes by VP: Harris broke a nearly 200-year-old record.
Quick Glance: Kamala Harris Sets VP Record for Most Senate Decisions
- Kamala Harris has shattered the record for most Senate decisions with 32 votes in just two and a half years.
- Harris plays a crucial role in a closely split Senate.
- The vice president serves as president of the Senate and has the right to cast deciding votes.
- Harris has also cast deciding votes for two major priorities of the Biden administration.
The Alabama Senator Who Was Punishing the Military for Being “Too Woke” Has Ended His Cursed Crusade
Quick Glance: Tuberville Relinquishes Military Confirmation Hold
- Released hold after pressure from Republican colleagues
- Stalled military promotions in protest of Pentagon policy
- Originally set conditions for lifting the hold
- Decision welcomed by White House and Democratic Senate leader
US vetoes UN resolution demanding cease-fire in Gaza: The United States has vetoed a United Nations resolution backed by the vast majority of Security Council ...
Quick Glance: UN Chief Urges Cease-Fire in Israel-Hamas War: Live Updates
- UN Security Council considers draft resolution for cease-fire in Gaza after Secretary-General's urging
- Secretary-General exercises rare authority to demand humanitarian cease-fire
- Israel reveals luxury spending by Hamas leader's son to illustrate gap with Gaza residents
- Israeli forces increase pressure on Hamas, highlighting rocket fire from humanitarian zone
Democrats vote to subpoena Supreme Court conservative allies Crow, Leo : Outraged Republican lawmakers said the unusual attempt to subpoena Harlan Crow and ...
Quick Glance: Democrats Vote to Subpoena Supreme Court Conservative Allies
- Senate Democrats vote to subpoena conservative allies of Supreme Court justices to learn about undisclosed gifts.
- Republicans push back against demanding information from Harlan Crow and Leonard Leo.
- Democrats argue for more information from Crow and Leo, stating that the court's code of conduct is insufficient.
- Republicans resist, claiming the effort aims to delegitimize the conservative court majority.
Senators grapple with aftershocks of Tuberville blockade: Senators are grappling with what the aftershocks of Sen. Tommy Tuberville’s (R-Ala ...
Trump's Capitol Hill allies push part of his 2025 agenda: Trump's MAGA loyalists on in Congress aim to turn many of his campaign-rally talking points into law.
UN Security Council: USA blocks resolution for ceasefire in Gaza Strip: The humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip is dramatic. That's why the UN Secretary ...
Senate Republicans block assault weapons ban, background checks bill : Senate Republicans on Wednesday blocked efforts by Senate Democrats to pass an assault ...
Rand Paul performed Heimlich maneuver on Joni Ernst as she choked at lunch: Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) performed the Heimlich maneuver on Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) ...
Quick Glance: Rand Paul Saves Choking Sen. Ernst with Heimlich Maneuver
- Rand Paul (R-Ky.) used the Heimlich maneuver to save Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) after she began choking at a Senate lunch.
- Ernst confirmed the incident in a post on X and criticized the Democrats' policies.
- The incident comes just over eight months after a member of Paul’s staff was attacked with a knife in Washington D.C.
Senate GOP softens criticism of House effort to impeach Biden: Senate Republicans are softening their public criticism of the House effort to impeach President ...
Quick Glance: House to Vote on Formalizing Biden Impeachment Inquiry
- House Republican leaders plan to vote next week to formalize their impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden.
- Republicans lack the votes to pass the impeachment inquiry on the floor, so they plan to vote to officially launch the investigation.
- Republicans argue that the vote is necessary to challenge the White House in court, despite no evidence of wrongdoing by the president.
- Some moderate Republicans now support the impeachment inquiry due to the White House's refusal to provide requested information.
Senate Budget Chair Rips GOP Deficit Hawks Over Trillions in Tax Cuts for Rich: "If not for the Bush tax cuts, their extensions, and then the Trump tax cuts ...
House GOP hardliners push Mike Johnson to go full throttle: Conservatives say Republicans need to fight harder to force Senate and White House's hand on spending ...
Zelensky to address senators Tuesday as Congress considers Ukraine funding - UPI.com
Quick Glance: Selenskyj Seeks US Funding for Ukraine
- Ukraine at risk of losing key financial support
- Selenskyj appeals directly to US Senate for support
- Government faces funding shortage by year-end
- Domestic political dispute hinders release of new US aid
Republicans Block Ukraine Aid Bill Over Border Objections: The vote spotlighted waning support in Congress for backing Ukraine’s fight against Russia ...
Israel-Gaza war live updates: Gazans starving as aid breaks down, U.N. says; U.S. criticized for vetoing cease-fire resolution
Trump's revenge? GOP braces for daily blasts from 'orange Jesus': His reascension, as nominee or the eventual winner, threatens to spark the same ...
Quick Glance: Trump's Potential for Authoritarian Rule
- There is a realistic threat for Trump to achieve authoritarian rule in the United States.
- Trump allies are openly developing a plan to transform a second term into full-blown autocracy.
- Election officials, Republican lawmakers, and former Trump advisors testified with exceptional courage, mobilizing many voters against election deniers in 2022.
- The national response to the antidemocratic threat of the Trump years was surprisingly positive - not only in terms of elections but also institutionally.
Ukraine’s US lifeline is hanging by a thinning thread | CNN Politics: Russian President Vladimir Putin’s grim bet that America and the West will tire of his ...
Senate Democrats press Biden for more oversight over civilian deaths in Gaza: In a letter, the senators argued that the U.S. should ensure weapons it is ...
Schumer calls on GOP lawmaker to delete ‘antisemitic, disgusting’ post : Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) tweeted at conservative Rep ...
Defense bill drops amendment blocking Pentagon abortion policy: A compromise version of the annual National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) reached by ...
Senator hires an indicted and ousted representative to troll an indicted senator: "I thought my ethically-challenged colleague" should hear from former Rep ...
Quick Glance: Gold Bar Connection in Menendez Bribery Case and 2013 Robbery
- Businessman reports 2013 robbery, seeks recovery of 22 gold bars.
- Some bars found later in Menendez's house.
- Four gold bars linked to FBI search of Sen. Bob Menendez’s home have direct connections to a New Jersey businessman accused of bribing Menendez.
- Serial numbers of four gold bars in bribery indictment seem to match those certified as stolen and returned in 2013 robbery.
US vetoes Gaza ceasefire resolution: The USA has blocked a resolution in the UN Security Council on a ceasefire in Gaza. The text neither condemned Hamas' ...
House passes resolution condemning antisemitism: The House passed a Republican-led resolution on Tuesday condemning antisemitism in the United States and ...
Hawley fights for nuclear waste exposure funds stripped from defense bill: The Missouri Republican has vowed to block passage of the must-pass bill.
Biden says GOP giving Putin ‘the greatest gift’ in stonewalling Ukraine funding: President Biden on Wednesday accused Republicans of giving Russian President ...
Senate Dems unveil $111 billion funding package for Ukraine, Israel and border: Senate Democrats on Tuesday unveiled a roughly $111 billion national security ...
‘I’ve had it’: Senate Republicans fume at Dems over border stalemate: A fury is erupting among Senate Republicans over the state of border talks ...
Senate anti-Trump GOP see Haley as best hope to avoid disaster: Senate Republicans who are concerned about former President Donald Trump’s viability in a general ...
Key senator blasts House GOP’s funding threat as shutdown confrontation brews: Sen. Patty Murray is sounding the alarm about House Speaker Mike Johnson’s plan to ...
Senate GOP: Where the heck is Biden on border?: Lawmakers call on Biden to take the lead in talks to salvage his funding request for Ukraine.
HAPPENING NOW: Pres. Biden delivers remarks urging Congress to pass additional funding for Ukraine. abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-calls-congress-urgently-approve-ukraine-aid/story?id=105426215
Senate confirms more than 400 military promotions after Tuberville ends blockade: He'll continue his holds on four-star general and admiral nominees ...
Amendments blocking funding for drag shows, gender-affirming care dropped from NDAA
Senate set for Wednesday test vote on Biden's $106B foreign aid plan: It is expected to fail due to GOP opposition stemming from stalled border security ...
Israel-Hamas war: The US vetoing the Gaza ceasefire is a defining moment for the UN
Bank Executives, Lawmakers Skip the Fireworks at Senate Hearing: This is Washington Edition, the newsletter about money, power and politics in the nation’s ...
Lapse of US global warrantless surveillance power would be damaging -FBI chief: FBI Director Christopher Wray pressed a Senate committee on Tuesday to renew the ...
Black leaders in Virginia Senate endorse Stoney for governor: Ten current and former members of the General Assembly, including three Black leaders in the Senate ...
Quick Glance: Virginia Senate Leaders Back Stoney's Governor Bid
- Ten prominent General Assembly members, including three Black Senate leaders, endorse Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney for the Democratic nomination for governor in 2025.
- Senate President Pro-Tempore Louise Lucas, D-Portsmouth, Sen. Mamie Locke, D-Hampton, and Sen. Lamont Bagby, D-Henrico, announce their support.
- Stoney launches gubernatorial campaign, setting up a 2025 Democratic primary battle against Rep. Abigail Spanberger, D-7th.
- If elected, Stoney would become Virginia's second Black governor, following Doug Wilder, who became the nation's first elected Black governor in 1990.
Senate confirms first Latina judge to conservative-majority 5th Circuit : The U.S. Senate this week confirmed the first Latina judge to serve on the 5th U.S ...
Fight over College Football Playoffs spills into Senate : The fight over the College Football Playoff selection committee’s decision to snub undefeated Florida ...
Democrats bank on abortion playing pivotal role in Arizona Senate race: Arizona’s Senate race may be the next contest for Democrats where abortion plays a ...
Shock Poll Shows Independent Nebraska Union Leader Beating Republican Senator: With Senate control hanging in the balance, Nebraska Democrats are considering ...
Senate fails to advance Ukraine and Israel aid bill as GOP demands immigration limits
House Republicans unveil resolution to authorize Biden impeachment inquiry: Multiple House Republicans said the chamber is expected to vote to authorize the ...
Quick Glance: US House Republicans Move Toward Biden Impeachment Inquiry
- Republican House members take step to authorize an impeachment inquiry against President Joe Biden.
- Allegations involve business irregularities by Biden and his family during his time as vice president.
- Republican Representative Kelly Armstrong introduces a resolution that would allow a vote on authorizing the inquiry.
- The Senate is unlikely to convict the president if the House passes articles of impeachment.
Manchin blasts exemptions in Biden administration rule on foreign EV parts: Senate Energy Committee Chair Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) blasted the Biden ...
GOP Senate candidates soften abortion stances ahead of 2024: Republican candidates in states that will determine Senate control have quietly shifted their ...
Top House Republicans try to stem the GOP's anti-Ukraine tide: The House is trying to negotiate a supplemental package that includes Ukraine aid.
US Senate Republicans block assault-style weapons ban as mass shootings rise: U.S. Senate Republicans moved to block a ban on assault-style weapons put forward ...
Sen. Ron Johnson: Russia-Ukraine war will end ‘in a negotiated settlement’: Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) said he thinks the war between Russia and Ukraine will end ...
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer called the rising threat of antisemitism in the US a "five-alarm fire that must be extinguished" during remarks ... Show more
Quick Glance: Schumer Warns Against Unwittingly Aiding Antisemitism
- The country's highest-ranking Jewish official cautions against unwittingly embracing bigotry in the name of social justice.
- The Senator warns that some liberals and young people are aiding and abetting antisemitism amid Israel's fight against Hamas.
- The division between progressives and mainstream Democrats extends to the debate over military aid to Israel.
- The Senator emphasizes that vitriol against Israel and Jews in the US has crossed into widespread antisemitism.
Why James Lankford expects a border breakthrough: The GOP’s lead negotiator on the embattled Ukraine, Israel, Taiwan, and border security supplemental believes ...
GOP senators feel ambushed by Trump’s policy promises : Former President Trump is creating new political headaches for Republicans locked in a highly competitive ...
The 9 Craziest Moments From George Santos’s Time in Congress: Now that George Santos has been expelled from Congress over alleged fraud and campaign misconduct ...
Quick Glance: George Santos Expelled from Congress
- House vote: New York Republican George Santos expelled.
- Santos, sixth member expelled in a Congress vote.
- Over 100 Republicans voted with Democrats for Santos' expulsion.
- Santos to be replaced in special election, date not set.
Vice President Harris casts record-setting vote in Senate: Her 32nd tiebreaking vote on the Hill breaks a mark that stood for almost 200 years.
US lawmakers introduce sweeping defense bill, drop most 'culture war' issues: U.S. lawmakers unveiled an annual defense policy bill leaving out most of the ...
Senate GOP Blocks $111 Billion Package with Military Funding for Ukraine, Taiwan and Israel
Rand Paul uses Heimlich maneuver on Ernst during Senate GOP lunch: Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) used the Heimlich maneuver on Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) during the ...
Israel-Gaza war latest updates: U.S. vetoes U.N. cease-fire resolution; aid system in Gaza near collapse
Immigration talks collapse, threatening to sink aid to Israel and Ukraine: The collapse of Senate immigration negotiations is threatening to derail aid to Israel ...
Tuberville lifted his military blockade. But those officers are still stuck.: Officers nominated for four-star positions are still subject to the senator's hold ...
Schumer plans to advance Ukraine funding as soon as Dec. 4: Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) informed his colleagues in a letter Sunday that he will ...
Clock ticks down on Ukraine aid as Senate border talks falter: Time is running short for lawmakers to provide aid to Ukraine as talks among Senate negotiators ...
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!