News articles on this subject
Ousted former Speaker Kevin McCarthy endorses Trump for president in 2024: The ousted speaker said he and Trump are "very honest with one another."
Quick Glance: Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy to Leave Congress
- Former Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy, is leaving the House of Representatives in Washington
- McCarthy, 58, announced in a Wall Street Journal column that he will be leaving Congress after holding and then losing the role of speaker for nine months
- His departure could hamper the party's hopes of retaining the majority next year, as he played a significant role in helping Republicans take control of the House in 2022
- Although representing a safe Republican district in California, his departure will further narrow the already slim Republican majority early next year as Congress tries to avert a partial government shutdown in mid-January
Haley looks to secure staying power as an ascendant Trump rival: Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley’s ascendancy in the GOP presidential race has brought new ...
Kevin McCarthy says he will leave Congress at the end of December: Decision caps dramatic fall from power for former House Speaker and Republican leader
Quick Glance: Former Ukrainian Lawmaker Killed Near Moscow
- Ilya Kiva, accused of treason, was assassinated near Moscow by Ukrainian special forces.
- Kiva, a supporter of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, fled to Russia after facing treason charges.
- Two Ukrainian officials confirmed that the SBU carried out the operation to kill Kiva.
- His death is the latest in a series of assassinations of Ukrainian defectors and Russians involved in Moscow’s invasion.
Six fake Donald Trump electors, indicted by Nevada grand jury: A Nevada grand jury has indicted six Nevada GOP members who submitted a document to Congress ...
Quick Glance: Nevada Indicts 6 Republicans as Fake Trump Electors
- A Nevada investigation led to the indictment of six Republicans who falsely declared Donald Trump the winner of the 2020 presidential election in their state.
- The fake electors, involved in the state GOP or Clark County GOP, have been charged with offering a false instrument for filing and uttering a forged instrument.
- The indictments in Nevada are just the latest in a series of investigations in several states into the activities of Republican electors.
- Democratic attorneys general in New Mexico and Arizona are also examining the role of fake electors in their states.
Former president Donald Trump said Tuesday that he would not be a dictator upon returning to office “except for Day One,” as he largely deflected questions at ... Show more
Quick Glance: Trump Doesn't Rule Out Power Abuse
- Trump declines to rule out abusing power upon return to the White House
- Biden warns that Trump is determined to destroy American democracy
- Trump refuses to promise he would never abuse power to seek retribution
- Hannity solely questions Trump in an interview differing from the typical town hall format with audience questions
Opinion | Ben Rhodes: Henry Kissinger, the Hypocrite: He was as much a creation of the American national security state as he was its author.
Quick Glance: The Legacy of Henry Kissinger's Diplomacy
- Understanding the subtle interplay between interests, values, and the use of force remains relevant
- Many perceive him as the foremost advocate of an amoral realism that stains America
- However, Mr. Kissinger was distinguished not only by his Realpolitik, but also by the idealism that permeated his diplomatic practice
- Today, this means preserving peace between China and America
Democracy is at stake if Trump is reelected, Liz Cheney warns in her new book: Liz Cheney's book Oath and Honor: A Memoir and a Warning slams Trump's efforts to ...
Quick Glance: Liz Cheney Considers Third Party, Warns of Trump-led Threat
- Liz Cheney, once a rising GOP leader, is ready to create a new third party or run for president with one.
- She hopes to play a role in establishing a new conservative party, as restoring the current Republican Party seems impossible.
- Cheney is open to joining a bipartisan ticket in the next election to include both Republicans and Democrats.
- She warns of Trump as an existential threat and suggests that a third party could provide voters with an alternative.
Key takeaways from the fourth Republican debate: As the 2024 GOP primary field narrows, four contenders sparred on gender-affirming care for minors, fentanyl ...
Liz Cheney says she "won't do anything" to help Trump in 2024: The former vice chair of the House Jan. 6 committee has been outspoken against a second ...
Republicans threaten contempt proceedings if Hunter Biden refuses to appear for deposition
Quick Glance: Comer, Jordan Threaten Hunter Biden with Contempt of Congress
- Comer and Jordan threaten contempt of Congress as Biden's counsel rejects public hearing.
- Committees will initiate contempt of Congress proceedings if Biden doesn't appear on Dec. 13.
- The letter represents an escalation of the conflict between House GOP and Biden.
- Republicans seek Biden's testimony as part of an impeachment inquiry into the president.
Raskin says ‘good riddance’ to McCarthy, blasting Jan. 6 response: Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) said “good riddance” to Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) ...
House Republicans unveil resolution to authorize Biden impeachment inquiry: Multiple House Republicans said the chamber is expected to vote to authorize the ...
Quick Glance: US House Republicans Move Toward Biden Impeachment Inquiry
- Republican House members take step to authorize an impeachment inquiry against President Joe Biden.
- Allegations involve business irregularities by Biden and his family during his time as vice president.
- Republican Representative Kelly Armstrong introduces a resolution that would allow a vote on authorizing the inquiry.
- The Senate is unlikely to convict the president if the House passes articles of impeachment.
In The Atlantic’s January/February 2024 special issue, 24 writers imagine what a second Trump term would look like. Read Jeffrey Goldberg's editors note: theatln.tc/T1QyJIbY
Quick Glance: Trump's Potential for Authoritarian Rule
- There is a realistic threat for Trump to achieve authoritarian rule in the United States.
- Trump allies are openly developing a plan to transform a second term into full-blown autocracy.
- Election officials, Republican lawmakers, and former Trump advisors testified with exceptional courage, mobilizing many voters against election deniers in 2022.
- The national response to the antidemocratic threat of the Trump years was surprisingly positive - not only in terms of elections but also institutionally.
Liz Cheney would rather see Democrats win in 2024: She warned of the "threat" from within her own party.
Republicans fret about shrinking majority as McCarthy plans exit: "Hopefully there is no one else that steps down," said one GOP lawmaker.
Wisconsin Trump electors settle lawsuit, agree Biden won in 2020: The civil settlement in Wisconsin marks the first time pro-Trump electors have agreed to revoke ...
Quick Glance: Wisconsin Trump Electors Admit Biden Victory
- 10 Republican electors retract false claims and admit Biden won the presidency.
- First agreement by pro-Trump electors to revoke their false claims and not repeat them.
- Investigations and criminal charges against Republican electors in other states are ongoing.
- Attorneys who assisted the Republican electors continue to be sued.
Liz Cheney warns Trump will never leave office if he's elected president again: WASHINGTON — Former Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., warned Monday that if Donald Trump ...
Quick Glance: Liz Cheney's Warning About Trump's Re-election
- Cheney warns that Trump will attempt to stay in power if elected for a second term.
- She believes the U.S. could become a dictatorship under Trump's leadership.
- Cheney emphasizes the danger of Trump trying to overturn the election again.
- She stresses that voting for Trump would be a vote against the Constitution.
President Joe Biden said he wasn’t sure if he’d be running for reelection if Donald Trump wasn’t also in the race, warning democracy is “more at risk in 2024” ... Show more
Quick Glance: Biden Contemplates 2024 Run, Cites Trump as Motivation
- Biden mentioned that he might not run again if not for the unique threat posed by Donald Trump to the United States.
- Biden stated that he would not drop out of the race if Trump stopped seeking his own second term.
- During his 2020 presidential campaign, Biden often cited Trump's handling of issues as part of his decision to run.
- Biden faces limited competition for his party's nomination and is positioning Trump as a danger to democracy itself.
The House will vote next week on formalizing its Biden impeachment inquiry, Speaker Johnson says
Quick Glance: House to Vote on Formalizing Biden Impeachment Inquiry
- House Republican leaders plan to vote next week to formalize their impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden.
- Republicans lack the votes to pass the impeachment inquiry on the floor, so they plan to vote to officially launch the investigation.
- Republicans argue that the vote is necessary to challenge the White House in court, despite no evidence of wrongdoing by the president.
- Some moderate Republicans now support the impeachment inquiry due to the White House's refusal to provide requested information.
McCarthy ally and former speaker pro tempore Patrick McHenry will not seek reelection
Quick Glance: Patrick McHenry Announces Retirement from Congress
- Rep. Patrick McHenry announced he will not seek reelection.
- McHenry, 48, from Lincoln County, surprised with this decision just weeks after a tumultuous time without a House speaker.
- McHenry spent most of his time in Congress working to become chair of the House Financial Services Committee.
- The slim majority of House Republicans allowed the far-right House Freedom Caucus to hold bills and policy hostage.
George Santos will say just about anything on Cameo for $500: Admitting a lie, recommending OnlyFans 'twinks,' and congratulating a furry on coming out are all ...
Trump's Capitol Hill allies push part of his 2025 agenda: Trump's MAGA loyalists on in Congress aim to turn many of his campaign-rally talking points into law.
Hunter Biden says his GOP critics are trying to 'kill' him to destroy his father’s presidency
Quick Glance: Hunter Biden Indicted on 9 Tax Offenses
- Court documents reveal: Hunter Biden indicted on nine tax offenses, including three felony counts.
- Charges include allegations of failure to pay taxes, failure to file tax returns, evasion of assessments, and submission of fraudulent forms.
- Indictment claims defendant spent millions on an extravagant lifestyle instead of paying taxes. Charges brought by special counsel David Weiss.
- White House declined to comment, referred NBC News to Hunter Biden's attorneys and the Justice Department.
Fake Trump electors settle civil lawsuit in Wisconsin, agree Biden won: Ten Republicans who posed as fake electors for former President Donald Trump in Wisconsin ...
Quick Glance: Pro-Trump Electors Indicted in Nevada
- A Nevada grand jury charged six Republicans claiming to be presidential electors in 2020, submitting false certificates to Congress asserting Trump's win in their state.
- Nevada AG Aaron D. Ford (D) launched an investigation earlier, making it the third state after Georgia and Michigan to seek charges against pro-Trump activists.
- In total, Trump electors met in seven states won by Biden, with investigations also underway in Arizona and New Mexico.
- The Nevada indictment has limited charges to the electors themselves so far, with the possibility of additional charges still unknown.
House Speaker Mike Johnson said Tuesday he was blurring the complete surveillance footage from the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S ... Show more
Quick Glance: GOP Blurs Jan. 6 Footage to Protect Rioters
- House Republicans are intentionally blurring faces in Jan. 6 footage to avoid DOJ charges against the individuals involved.
- Johnson emphasizes the importance of the American people forming their own conclusions rather than relying on elected officials' narratives.
- Johnson is releasing the footage to counter the Jan. 6 Committee's depiction of the riot.
- A spokesman for Johnson explains that blurring faces aims to protect private citizens from retaliation by non-governmental actors.
Bowen Yang’s George Santos Was a “Scandal in the Wind”: ‘SNL’ broke out the “Hallelujah” piano for George Santos’s swan song. But instead of Leonard Cohen ...
Quick Glance: George Santos Expelled from Congress
- House vote: New York Republican George Santos expelled.
- Santos, sixth member expelled in a Congress vote.
- Over 100 Republicans voted with Democrats for Santos' expulsion.
- Santos to be replaced in special election, date not set.
Biden used to keep quiet about Trump. Now Biden's invoking his name to raise alarms
Quick Glance: Trump's Fascist Rhetoric Against Biden
- Trump compares President Biden to a fascist tyrant and distributes signs reading 'BIDEN ATTACKS DEMOCRACY'.
- He uses fascist rhetoric in his speeches in Iowa to rally his supporters and portray opponents as enemies.
- Since leaving the White House, Trump has stated he would have an expansive view of executive branch authority in a second term.
- The speech marked a striking rhetorical escalation of themes that Trump has consistently hammered as he racked up 91 criminal charges in four separate cases this year.
The British Conservatives’ crisis over Rwanda is a rerun of Brexit: The Tory party has turned a niche policy into an existential matter. Sound familiar?
Marjorie Taylor Greene on shrinking GOP majority: ‘Hopefully no one dies’: Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) offered a grim outlook on the shrinking GOP ...
Rand Paul performed Heimlich maneuver on Joni Ernst as she choked at lunch: Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) performed the Heimlich maneuver on Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) ...
Quick Glance: Rand Paul Saves Choking Sen. Ernst with Heimlich Maneuver
- Rand Paul (R-Ky.) used the Heimlich maneuver to save Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) after she began choking at a Senate lunch.
- Ernst confirmed the incident in a post on X and criticized the Democrats' policies.
- The incident comes just over eight months after a member of Paul’s staff was attacked with a knife in Washington D.C.
Big Take Podcast: Ukraine Struggles for Arms as Winter Nears:: In The Big Take podcast, we explore how the war in Gaza, Senate Republicans and Donald Trump have ...
Quick Glance: Ukraine: Zelenskyy Cancels US Senators Briefing
- The Ukrainian President canceled a scheduled meeting with US senators.
- He was going to request continued military support due to the ongoing Russian invasion.
- The Biden administration urges Congress to approve nearly $106 billion for the war in Ukraine.
- A group of Republicans oppose further assistance, arguing that US funds should be spent at home.
6 'fake electors' for Trump are indicted in Nevada: A Nevada grand jury indicted six individuals who submitted documents falsely attesting that they were the ...
Quick Glance: Charges Against 6 'Fake Electors' in Nevada
- The chair of the Nevada Republican Party, Michael McDonald, announces Donald Trump before his speech at the party's convention in Las Vegas.
- A grand jury in Nevada has indicted six individuals for submitting documents falsely claiming that Donald Trump won Nevada in the 2020 election.
- Criminal charges have been brought against the so-called 'fake electors' in three swing states: Nevada, Michigan, and Georgia.
- A legal settlement regarding false electors in Wisconsin has also been announced.
House GOP hardliners push Mike Johnson to go full throttle: Conservatives say Republicans need to fight harder to force Senate and White House's hand on spending ...
Chris Hayes Nails James Comer For His 'Most Humiliating Loss' Yet: "And there have been a lot," the MSNBC host said.
Quick Glance: Comer Rejects Public Hearing for Hunter Biden
- Comer stated that Democrats would be 'yelling and screaming' at a public hearing with Hunter Biden.
- Over 10,000 pages of documents regarding Hunter Biden’s financial transactions with enemies worldwide have been obtained.
- Hunter Biden's attorney proposed a public hearing in response to a subpoena but was denied.
- Comer denied the request to make the December testimony public but offered to do so after the private deposition.
House GOP takes major step toward formalizing Biden impeachment inquiry: Republicans largely believe they have the votes to formalize their investigation ...
House Republicans prepare for official vote to authorize impeachment inquiry: House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan and House Oversight Chairman James Comer argue ...
Trump, U.S. conservatives embrace Argentina’s controversial new leader: Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and other GOP figures have embraced the controversial leader.
Sabatini-led Lake Republicans adopt platform to ban abortion, gay rights: The Lake County Republican Party has a party platform that calls for a total abortion ...
Do not let Putin win, Biden pleads with Republicans on Ukraine: President Joe Biden pleaded with Republicans on Wednesday for a fresh infusion of military aid ...
Biden says he was not improperly involved in son’s, brother’s business dealings: President Joe Biden fired back against claims from House Republicans that he was ...
Trump Voters Are America Too: If he wins a second term, perhaps we’ll finally dispense with the myth that “this is not who we are.”
Preliminary vote in the US Senate: Republicans block new aid for Ukraine and Israel
Hunter Biden says Republicans are trying to ‘kill me’ to destroy father’s presidency
House GOP campaign arm plans reception "thanking" Kevin McCarthy: The Dec. 13 event will thank McCarthy for his "for his tireless work."
Liz Cheney warns US ‘sleepwalking into dictatorship’: Former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) is warning that the United States is “sleepwalking into dictatorship ...
The Alabama Senator Who Was Punishing the Military for Being “Too Woke” Has Ended His Cursed Crusade
Quick Glance: Tuberville Relinquishes Military Confirmation Hold
- Released hold after pressure from Republican colleagues
- Stalled military promotions in protest of Pentagon policy
- Originally set conditions for lifting the hold
- Decision welcomed by White House and Democratic Senate leader
Cheney: Republicans in Congress ‘can’t be counted on to defend’ Constitution : Former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) said Tuesday that Republicans in Congress can’t ...
Penn's president apologizes for response on how to handle calls for 'genocide of Jews'
Quick Glance: US College Presidents Testify on Campus Antisemitism
- Jewish students report antisemitic threats and assaults.
- University administrators accused of failing to protect Jewish people.
- Testimony to House Committee on Education on the rise of antisemitism and Islamophobia since the start of the Israel-Hamas conflict.
- Frequent pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel demonstrations on campus have raised allegations of antisemitism.
Biden urges GOP to help reform gun laws after shootings in Texas, Nevada: President Biden on Wednesday urged the GOP to help take action on gun control after ...
Trump’s ‘intolerance towards everyone’ encourages hate, Chris Christie says: Republican challenger says rival’s language and conduct a contributing factor to ...
Quick Glance: Christie's Accountability for Islamophobia and Antisemitism Rise
- Chris Christie attributes part of the rise in antisemitism and Islamophobia across the country to Donald Trump.
- Christie recently visited Israel.
- The Post reached out to the Trump campaign for a comment.
- Despite his current third place, Christie remains optimistic about his chances, drawing parallels to the late Sen. John McCain's position in 2008.
RNC’s McDaniel faces mounting GOP criticism: Republican National Committee (RNC) Chair Ronna McDaniel is facing growing criticism following another campaign ...
Sen. Scott joins Gov. DeSantis in calling for resignation of Florida GOP chair amid rape investigation
Quick Glance: Moms for Liberty Chapter Divides Over Allegations Against Christian Ziegler
- The chapter breaks with the organization after allegations of sexual assault against the co-founder and husband of the Florida GOP Chair emerged.
- The controversy continues over the allegations that Florida GOP Chair Christian Ziegler sexually assaulted a woman involved in a long-term relationship with him and his wife, the co-founder of Moms For Liberty.
- The Northumberland County, Pennsylvania chapter of Moms For Liberty announced on Monday that it will be splitting from the national organization.
- Florida Governor Ron DeSantis called for Ziegler to voluntarily resign from his post after the allegations emerged on Friday.
Senate Republicans set to block advancement of Ukraine-Israel aid bill: Key procedural vote expected to fail amid opposition from Republicans who demand stricter ...
Franks: The media failed us on George Santos: Back in the day, the media and political parties did their jobs, got it right and we never had any characters like ...
Kevin McCarthy Says Matt Gaetz ‘Belongs in Jail’: Gaetz led the charge to oust McCarthy from the speakership earlier this year.
House GOP tees up impeachment inquiry vote before holiday recess: Republicans hope that a formal vote on the House floor will strengthen them in coming legal ...
Senate Republicans block assault weapons ban, background checks bill : Senate Republicans on Wednesday blocked efforts by Senate Democrats to pass an assault ...
Republican-Led House Censures Rep. Jamaal Bowman for Pulling Fire Alarm: The New York Democrat is now the 27th member of Congress to be censured in the ...
'He is hated': House Republicans secretly consider expelling Matt Gaetz after booting George Santos
Florida Democrat posts joking ‘in memoriam’ video for Santos, McCarthy: A Florida congressman posted a joking “in memoriam” video featuring former House Speaker ...
Kevin McCarthy is leaving Congress. He’s not alone.: In the U.S., the unusually high number of lawmakers stepping down has been interpreted by some as a sign of ...
Obamacare is even more popular than the last time Trump tried to kill it: The issue doesn't specifically motivate Republican voters, either.
Doug Burgum’s Departure From the Presidential Race Shows the Limits of Money in Campaigns
Quick Glance: North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum Exits Presidential Race
- Governor Doug Burgum of North Dakota announced the suspension of his campaign for the GOP presidential nomination after failing to meet debate qualifications.
- Burgum exits the race in last place, polling nationally at a meager 0.7%.
- Despite criticism of RNC debate rules, Burgum's experience strengthened his trust in America.
- As governor, Burgum signed some of the strictest anti-transgender and abortion laws and unveiled an ambitious plan for carbon neutrality by 2030.
Donald Trump: Robert Kagan warns of dictatorship in the USA: Kagan is one of the most important US intellectuals. Formerly a neoconservative Republican ...
Inside the closed-door meeting where Tuberville caved: Colleagues spent months getting the Alabama senator to drop his abortion protest.
Senate Budget Chair Rips GOP Deficit Hawks Over Trillions in Tax Cuts for Rich: "If not for the Bush tax cuts, their extensions, and then the Trump tax cuts ...
Biden rips Trump, GOP over repealing ObamaCare, supply chain issues: President Biden criticized Republicans and former President Trump on Monday for efforts that ...
Quick Glance: Biden Criticizes Trump and GOP
- The president criticized Republicans and former President Trump for actions that could jeopardize the supply chain, including undoing his achievements and seeking to replace ObamaCare.
- The president announced 30 actions to improve access to medicine and economic data.
- The council is to strengthen the supply chain during the 2023 holiday season, following significant issues during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Biden referenced a Truth Social post from Trump in the meeting, in which the former president revived calls to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act if he wins the 2024 election.
House GOP impeachment inquiry vote hinges on vulnerable members: House Republicans pushing through the last stages of their impeachment probe into President ...
Kevin McCarthy Said He Visited Mar-a-Lago After Jan. 6 Because Trump Was ‘Depressed’ and ‘Not Eating’
DeSantis wants House GOP to focus on issues, not Biden impeachment: GOP presidential candidate Ron DeSantis suggested Sunday that House Republicans should focus ...
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!