News articles on this subject
McCarthy ally to GOP critics: ‘Get your little games over with’ : Rep. Garret Graves (R-La.), a top ally of Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) ...
McCarthy ally to Republican rebels: Go ahead, make my day: Rep. Garret Graves told CNN it was possible he might force the hand of GOP insurgents.
Kevin McCarthy says he will leave Congress at the end of December: Decision caps dramatic fall from power for former House Speaker and Republican leader
Quick Glance: Former Ukrainian Lawmaker Killed Near Moscow
- Ilya Kiva, accused of treason, was assassinated near Moscow by Ukrainian special forces.
- Kiva, a supporter of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, fled to Russia after facing treason charges.
- Two Ukrainian officials confirmed that the SBU carried out the operation to kill Kiva.
- His death is the latest in a series of assassinations of Ukrainian defectors and Russians involved in Moscow’s invasion.
Ousted former Speaker Kevin McCarthy endorses Trump for president in 2024: The ousted speaker said he and Trump are "very honest with one another."
Quick Glance: Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy to Leave Congress
- Former Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy, is leaving the House of Representatives in Washington
- McCarthy, 58, announced in a Wall Street Journal column that he will be leaving Congress after holding and then losing the role of speaker for nine months
- His departure could hamper the party's hopes of retaining the majority next year, as he played a significant role in helping Republicans take control of the House in 2022
- Although representing a safe Republican district in California, his departure will further narrow the already slim Republican majority early next year as Congress tries to avert a partial government shutdown in mid-January
McCarthy ally and former speaker pro tempore Patrick McHenry will not seek reelection
Quick Glance: Patrick McHenry Announces Retirement from Congress
- Rep. Patrick McHenry announced he will not seek reelection.
- McHenry, 48, from Lincoln County, surprised with this decision just weeks after a tumultuous time without a House speaker.
- McHenry spent most of his time in Congress working to become chair of the House Financial Services Committee.
- The slim majority of House Republicans allowed the far-right House Freedom Caucus to hold bills and policy hostage.
Kevin McCarthy Said He Visited Mar-a-Lago After Jan. 6 Because Trump Was ‘Depressed’ and ‘Not Eating’
Kevin McCarthy Says Matt Gaetz ‘Belongs in Jail’: Gaetz led the charge to oust McCarthy from the speakership earlier this year.
HAPPENING NOW: Vice Pres. Harris speaks at a DNC fall meeting in St. Louis, Missouri. abcn.ws/2J0gebC
Quick Glance: GOP rules and their impact on Trump's candidacy for House speaker
- The US Constitution does not mandate that the House speaker be a member of the chamber.
- Trump has expressed support for Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), chair of the influential House Judiciary Committee.
- Trump has also indicated his willingness to serve as speaker on an interim basis if necessary.
- This possibility could gain more consideration if neither Jordan nor House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) can secure majority support in the full chamber.
Some Republicans worry Kevin McCarthy's ouster will weaken fundraising ahead of 2024 election
Quick Glance: Matt Gaetz: The Man Who Brought Down Kevin McCarthy - A Historic Achievement
- In a one-man campaign, Republican Matt Gaetz successfully removed sitting House Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Tuesday, revealing an unprecedented intra-party conflict in US history.
- Gaetz emerged victorious in the highly contested 2010 Republican primary for the Florida state House, leveraging his resources as an attorney.
- In 2021, federal investigators reportedly examined Gaetz's 2018 trip to the Bahamas, which allegedly involved escorts, including a 17-year-old girl.
- The feud between Gaetz and McCarthy became evident this year.
House speaker race starts again for Republicans after ousting Jordan: House Republicans on Friday removed Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) as their nominee for speaker ...
Quick Glance: Republicans remove Jim Jordan as House speaker nominee
- Republicans abruptly remove Rep. Jim Jordan as their nominee for House speaker.
- Jordan failed badly in the third ballot for the gavel.
- House Republicans now need to come together and decide on their speaker.
- The House is left without a speaker and unable to function, as no one can currently win a GOP majority.
How Mike Johnson went from little-known to House speaker in 24 hours: The remarkable turn of events for Johnson was the result of a confluence of fatigue ...
Quick Glance: The Role of Speaker Mike Johnson's Religious Views in Politics
- Newly elected House Speaker Mike Johnson, currently serving his fourth term in Congress, is gaining attention for his strong religious views and how they shape his political decisions.
- During a recent interview on Fox News, Johnson was asked by a member of the media about his thoughts on various topics.
- House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries criticized Johnson for his extreme anti-abortion stance.
- Kelley Robinson, President of the Human Rights Campaign, described Johnson as the most anti-equality Speaker in the U.S. in a statement to ABC News.
Trump should pick Haley as VP, McCarthy says: Former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said in an interview Wednesday that he would advise former President Trump ...
US election 2020: Trump is said to have admitted defeat very early in a small circle - says Liz Cheney
Exclusive: Liz Cheney’s new book blasts GOP as ‘enablers and collaborators’ of Trump, whom one member called ‘Orange Jesus’
Kevin McCarthy Unsure If He Will Run For Reelection: Just last month, McCarthy told reporters he was “not resigning” from the House and would run for reelection.
Gaetz releases 13-minute movie ‘Gaveled Out’ on McCarthy ouster: Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) announced Friday that he released a 13-minute documentary titled ...
'It's Really Dangerous': Liz Cheney Blames Kevin McCarthy For House GOP Chaos: The former Wyoming lawmaker said that chaos among House Republicans is a "direct ...
Here’s how McCarthy’s resignation affects House GOP’s slim majority: The resignation of former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), combined with other expected ...
Liz Cheney says she may launch 3rd party bid against Trump, claims he could end democracy
Quick Glance: Liz Cheney Considers Third Party, Warns of Trump-led Threat
- Liz Cheney, once a rising GOP leader, is ready to create a new third party or run for president with one.
- She hopes to play a role in establishing a new conservative party, as restoring the current Republican Party seems impossible.
- Cheney is open to joining a bipartisan ticket in the next election to include both Republicans and Democrats.
- She warns of Trump as an existential threat and suggests that a third party could provide voters with an alternative.
The ousting of Kevin McCarthy: bad for America, worse for Ukraine: His successor should seek cross-party support to keep funding the war
Government shutdown bill live updates: House set to vote on its plan today: Latest news and live updates as the House votes on a bill to avert a government ...
House speaker vote live updates: 6 Republicans now running in 4th try: House Majority Whip Tom Emmer ended his speaker bid just hours after he received his ...
Kevin McCarthy opens impeachment inquiry without passing budget despite once criticizing Democrats for the same
Quick Glance: McCarthy Starts Impeachment Inquiry without Budget, Contradicting Past Criticism
- McCarthy called for the inquiry to appease far-right members of the Republican caucus.
- He previously criticized Democrats for prioritizing impeachment over basic government responsibilities.
- McCarthy expressed concern that impeachment has overtaken congressional work and hindered resources for troops.
- He emphasized the potential consequences of lowering the impeachment standard.
House conservatives give Speaker Johnson a ‘mulligan’ in funding fight — for now: Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) is getting a free pass from hard-line Republicans ...
US-Repräsentantenhaus setzt Sprecher McCarthy ab: Die rechten Trump-Anhänger haben sich durchgesetzt: Der Republikaner Kevin McCarthy verliert in einer ...
Kevin McCarthy faces Republican challenger David Giglio after being ousted as House speaker
Three speakers at once, yet House Republicans lack one with real power: Kevin McCarthy, Jim Jordan and Patrick McHenry all hold part of the same title ...
10 hours, 2 nominees: Chaos on Capitol Hill and still no House speaker: House Republicans spent another day trying and failing to elect a speaker to lead the ...
Quick Glance: Republicans Fail in Choosing Candidate for Speaker of the US House of Representatives
- A third contender drops out due to lack of support from party colleagues.
- Republicans nominate a fourth candidate.
- Tom Emmer withdraws his candidacy for Speaker of the US House of Representatives.
- Republicans retreat behind closed doors, seeking a way out of the chaos they caused.
New York House GOP sees fundraising void without McCarthy cash: Vulnerable Republicans say others will step up to help ahead of their reelection bids
Who is Mike Johnson? More than 40% of Americans don't know, poll finds: 14% of voters said they viewed Johnson positively while 23% had a negative view of him.
McCarthy on Speaker race: ‘I feel very good about where Jim Jordan is’: Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Monday that he feels “very good” about Rep ...
How historic the House GOP’s chaos is, by the numbers: Looking at the ways in which the GOP is setting benchmarks with its internal discord.
Quick Glance: GOP meeting fails to unite on next speaker
- House Republicans hold emotional meeting to address leadership crisis.
- Two days before the vote, they are far from reaching a consensus on a new speaker.
- Republicans face pressure to choose quickly amidst attacks in Israel and upcoming government funding deadline.
- Some lawmakers advocate for rule changes to influence the election of the next speaker.
Democrats quickly seek to make Speaker Johnson a boogeyman: The party has begun painting House Republicans’ new leader as “MAGA Mike” but may face a challenge ...
Mace faces primary threat over McCarthy ouster: Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) is facing the threat of a primary challenge after her vote to oust Rep ...
By relying heavily on Democrats' help to pass his government funding plan, has the Republican speaker given himself an even bigger problem down the line? trib.al/JGCFvfJ
Quick Glance: Senate Passes Legislation to Prevent Government Shutdown
- The Senate approved a bill on Wednesday to extend funding for federal agencies and sent the legislation to prevent a government shutdown to President Biden, just days before the weekend deadline.
- The bill, passed by a vote of 87-11, signifies a significant de-escalation between congressional Democrats and the new House Speaker, Mike Johnson (R-La.).
- Without the new spending measure, referred to as a continuing resolution or CR, the government would have closed shortly after midnight on Saturday, compelling federal employees - including military personnel and airport security officers - to work without pay or go on furlough on the eve of Thanksgiving.
- These concessions were sufficient to secure easy bipartisan support in the Senate, which is much less concerned with spending debates.
Government shutdown averted with little time to spare as Biden signs funding before midnight
Quick Glance: North Texas federal employees prepare for upcoming government shutdown
- Federal employees in North Texas seeking assistance from local food banks and community centers.
- A shutdown is unnecessary and avoidable, hopefully it doesn't happen.
- Sen. Patty Murray blocked the proposal but argued for continued pay for all federal workers.
- Ted Cruz would pause his paychecks in the event of a shutdown.
Christie calls Speaker’s race an ‘embarrassment’ as GOP struggles to fill role: Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie said the House GOP’s struggle to ...
House GOP circus embarrasses senior party leaders as the country and the world wait for Republicans to pick a speaker
The ungovernable Republicans: ‘Their goal is chaos’: House Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s defenestration is the latest example of America’s conservative movement ...
Matt Gaetz More Than Willing To Lose Job Over Speaker McCarthy's Ouster: While Gaetz said the idea of Republicans calling for his removal was "crazy ...
Quick Glance: Gaetz sacrifices congressional seat for McCarthy ouster
- Gaetz successfully leads movement to oust Kevin McCarthy
- Eight Republicans join Democrats in removing McCarthy
- Gaetz declines to voice support for potential successors
Nancy Mace gives herself an ‘A’: On Capitol Hill, fashion statements are an increasingly cheap way to get — what’s the word...
McCarthy sidesteps question on endorsing Trump: ‘The campaign is still going’: Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) sidestepped a question about ...
GOP Rep. Wants Kevin McCarthy Reinstalled ASAP As Speaker To Fund Israel In War: McCarthy changed his mind and said he would return to the speakership if "the ...
GOP senators: McCarthy’s collapse will lead to turmoil, shutdown: Republican senators are shocked and unnerved by the sudden collapse of Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s ...
WATCH: Biden delivers remarks after signing stopgap government funding bill passed by Congress
Ken Buck Won’t Seek Re-Election, Citing Republican Election Denialism: Representative Ken Buck, one of eight Republicans who moved to oust Kevin McCarthy as ...
Quick Glance: Ken Buck Testifies in Trump 14th Amendment Hearing
- Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) testified as a witness for Trump campaign attorneys to discredit the House Select Committee that investigated the Jan. 6, 2021, attack.
- Plaintiffs argue that Trump's actions supported the rioters who stormed the Capitol during the official Electoral College count of the 2020 election.
- Buck revealed that he asked McCarthy for permission to join the committee, but was declined.
- Buck agreed with Gessler's general sentiments, stating that the report was a political tool to support Democratic efforts to impeach Trump at the time.
Speaker McCarthy is giving hard-right Republicans what they want. But it never seems to be enough.
Quick Glance: White House prepares for government shutdown as House Republicans lack a viable plan
- Speaker Kevin McCarthy announces that the House will start voting on the latest plan next week.
- The White House is preparing to direct federal agencies to get ready for a shutdown after House Republicans left without a realistic plan to fund the government and avoid disruptive consequences.
- A federal shutdown after September 30 appears likely unless Speaker Kevin McCarthy can convince his rebellious, right-wing faction to approve a temporary funding measure to prevent closures during ongoing talks.
- The standoff with House Republicans over government funding jeopardizes various activities, including military and law enforcement personnel pay, food safety and aid programs, air travel, and passport processing, potentially causing havoc in the US economy.
Opinion of GOP leaders in Congress drops amid Speaker turmoil: poll: Public opinion of Republican leaders in Congress has dropped as the House GOP struggles to ...
Trump questions GOP infighting ahead of vote to oust McCarthy: Former President Trump expressed frustration Tuesday over infighting among Republicans just ...
Government shutdown: GOP feuding with McCarthy for weeks: The House is in a familiar position with little time left to prevent a government shutdown: It's ...
GOP leadership boots another top Democrat from Capitol office: GOP leadership booted another top Democrat, Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), out of his Capitol “hideaway ...
Consensus remains elusive as Republicans try to elect a House speaker: While dueling crises — the war in Israel and a government funding deadline — may add ...
McCarthy dares critics to remove him over clean stopgap: ‘Go ahead and try’: Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) dared his hardline conservative Republican critics ...
Ocasio-Cortez: I won't bail out McCarthy: Other Democrats might not either, she said, absent a price: 'I don't think we give up votes for free ...
Matt Gaetz moves to oust Kevin McCarthy as House speaker: Rep. Matt Gaetz on Monday moved ahead in his attempt to oust Speaker Kevin McCarthy from the top House ...
Gaetz moves to oust Speaker McCarthy : Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) on Monday moved to force a vote on ousting Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) ...
Pelosi denies breaking a promise to McCarthy over Speakership vote: Former Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Friday denied a suggestion that she broke a promise ...
It's Day 20 with no House speaker, and lower-level Republicans are now reaching for the gavel
Gingrich: 8 Republicans who voted to oust McCarthy ‘unleashed furies’ in GOP conference
DeSantis: ‘I opposed McCarthy when it wasn’t cool’: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) weighed in Tuesday on the speakership battle raging on Capitol Hill ...
Gaetz says he’ll push to unseat McCarthy this week: Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) on Sunday said he will push to unseat House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif ...
In a shift, McCarthy floats a clean stopgap without Ukraine aid: Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Friday evening floated passing a “clean” continuing ...
McCarthy faces threat of removal as U.S. House speaker after shutdown averted: Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz filed a resolution late Monday to oust Kevin McCarthy ...
The tyranny of the GOP isolationist minority: A small group of Republican politicians who believe compromise and bipartisanship are the dirtiest of dirty ...
Watch live: House votes on motion to oust McCarthy: The House will vote Tuesday on a motion that could lead to the ousting of Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) ...
Trump Being Nominated for House Speaker Is Becoming a Real Possibility: Sean Hannity, who remains close with Trump, says he’s ‘been told’ the former president is ...
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!