News articles on this subject
Federal judge prohibits separating migrant families at US border for 8 years: A federal judge is prohibiting the separation of families at the border for ...
Quick Glance: Federal Judge Blocks Family Separation at US Border for 8 Years
- A federal judge has prohibited the separation of families at the border for eight years to deter immigration.
- A court settlement in October between the Justice Department and families represented by the American Civil Liberties Union was tentatively approved.
Ousted former Speaker Kevin McCarthy endorses Trump for president in 2024: The ousted speaker said he and Trump are "very honest with one another."
Quick Glance: Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy to Leave Congress
- Former Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy, is leaving the House of Representatives in Washington
- McCarthy, 58, announced in a Wall Street Journal column that he will be leaving Congress after holding and then losing the role of speaker for nine months
- His departure could hamper the party's hopes of retaining the majority next year, as he played a significant role in helping Republicans take control of the House in 2022
- Although representing a safe Republican district in California, his departure will further narrow the already slim Republican majority early next year as Congress tries to avert a partial government shutdown in mid-January
Candidate fails several times: Berlin Greens cancel party conference after election debacle
Biden job approval hits new low, Trump takes lead in hypothetical 2024 matchup: WSJ poll
George Conway Trolls Donald Trump After Hunter Biden Indictment: President Joe Biden's son, Hunter Biden, was indicted on Thursday for tax evasion and filing a ...
Quick Glance: Hunter Biden Indicted on 9 Tax Offenses
- Court documents reveal: Hunter Biden indicted on nine tax offenses, including three felony counts.
- Charges include allegations of failure to pay taxes, failure to file tax returns, evasion of assessments, and submission of fraudulent forms.
- Indictment claims defendant spent millions on an extravagant lifestyle instead of paying taxes. Charges brought by special counsel David Weiss.
- White House declined to comment, referred NBC News to Hunter Biden's attorneys and the Justice Department.
Trump's campaign is distancing him from allies who have sketched out plans for a second term
Trump gag order is partially upheld in Jan. 6 case: A federal appeals court panel has preserved most of a gag order on former President Donald Trump in his ...
Quick Glance: Court Preserves Trump Speech Restrictions
- A federal appeals court has preserved most of a speech restriction on former President Donald Trump in his election interference case.
- The court ruling would allow Trump to make public statements about the special counsel in the case, but not about other prosecutors, court staffers, or their family members if those remarks aim to interfere with their work.
- The appeals court ruling preserves the restrictions on Trump and other parties in the case from disparaging likely witnesses in the election interference case because of their expected testimony.
- The court stated that Trump does not enjoy unfettered rights to free speech like other criminal defendants.
Former police chief turned yoga teacher sentenced to 11 years over Jan. 6 riot: A retired police chief, who led pro-Trump protests and called for "traitors" in ...
Quick Glance: Former Police Chief Turned Yoga Teacher Sentenced to 11 Years Over Jan. 6 Riot
- Retired police chief Alan Hostetter sentenced to 11 years for obstructing the 2020 presidential election results certification.
- Hostetter led pro-Trump protests and was convicted for his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot.
- Alan Hostetter was found guilty of obstructing Congress' certification of Joe Biden's electoral victory and disorderly conduct.
- Although joining the mob at the Capitol, Hostetter did not enter the building or assault police officers during the riot.
Amid Crackdown on Independent Media, Azerbaijan Calls for Early Election: Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project
Appeals court largely upholds Trump’s federal gag order: A three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Trump’s complaints about free speech ...
Trump's Capitol Hill allies push part of his 2025 agenda: Trump's MAGA loyalists on in Congress aim to turn many of his campaign-rally talking points into law.
Liz Cheney says she "won't do anything" to help Trump in 2024: The former vice chair of the House Jan. 6 committee has been outspoken against a second ...
Why Nikki Haley polls better against Joe Biden than Donald Trump does: A POLITICO analysis shows the former South Carolina governor is winning swaths of moderate ...
Trump hits Christie after strong debate showing: ‘Not fit to run for President’: Former President Trump took a swing Friday at former New Jersey Gov ...
Seven delusions plaguing the mind of the Trump base voter: My safe 2024 prediction: The losing party will believe it is “the end of America.”
Billionaire GOP donor endorses Haley, says Trump’s time has ‘come and gone’: Home Depot co-founder and billionaire Ken Langone put his support behind GOP hopeful ...
Federal judge prohibits Trump-era migrant family separation policy for 8 years: The federal government still can not confirm if more than 1,000 children have ...
Trump lawyer says he will take stand in fraud trial regardless of gag order: Former President Trump’s attorney Alina Habba claimed Friday that her client would ...
Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" gets Billboard No. 1: Lee's latest No. 1 is record-setting.
Taylor Swift vs. MAGA? Trump toadies get mad and dumb over Time's new Person of the Year.
Donald Trump: Concern about Trump's authoritarian rhetoric is growing: If he is re-elected, he openly threatens revenge against his opponents and is planning to ...
Joe Biden ‘not sure’ he would seek re-election if Trump were not running: Comments at fundraising event show US president wrestled with decision to seek second ...
Quick Glance: Former Ukrainian Lawmaker Killed Near Moscow
- Ilya Kiva, accused of treason, was assassinated near Moscow by Ukrainian special forces.
- Kiva, a supporter of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, fled to Russia after facing treason charges.
- Two Ukrainian officials confirmed that the SBU carried out the operation to kill Kiva.
- His death is the latest in a series of assassinations of Ukrainian defectors and Russians involved in Moscow’s invasion.
Six fake Donald Trump electors, indicted by Nevada grand jury: A Nevada grand jury has indicted six Nevada GOP members who submitted a document to Congress ...
Quick Glance: Nevada Indicts 6 Republicans as Fake Trump Electors
- A Nevada investigation led to the indictment of six Republicans who falsely declared Donald Trump the winner of the 2020 presidential election in their state.
- The fake electors, involved in the state GOP or Clark County GOP, have been charged with offering a false instrument for filing and uttering a forged instrument.
- The indictments in Nevada are just the latest in a series of investigations in several states into the activities of Republican electors.
- Democratic attorneys general in New Mexico and Arizona are also examining the role of fake electors in their states.
Exclusive: Pro-Trump lawyer Kenneth Chesebro cooperating in multiple state probes into 2020 fake electors plot
Trump’s vow to only be a dictator on ‘day one’ follows growing worry over his authoritarian rhetoric
6 'fake electors' for Trump are indicted in Nevada: A Nevada grand jury indicted six individuals who submitted documents falsely attesting that they were the ...
Quick Glance: Charges Against 6 'Fake Electors' in Nevada
- The chair of the Nevada Republican Party, Michael McDonald, announces Donald Trump before his speech at the party's convention in Las Vegas.
- A grand jury in Nevada has indicted six individuals for submitting documents falsely claiming that Donald Trump won Nevada in the 2020 election.
- Criminal charges have been brought against the so-called 'fake electors' in three swing states: Nevada, Michigan, and Georgia.
- A legal settlement regarding false electors in Wisconsin has also been announced.
Conundrum of Covering Trump Lands at Univision’s Doorstep: When the U.S.’s largest Spanish-language network ran a friendly interview with the former president ...
Trump campaign distances itself from report of second-term Cabinet contenders: The Trump campaign on Friday sought to distance itself from a report that ...
Our tracker of voters’ intentions shows the contest behind Trump: And what might happen if Trump dropped out
What it’s like inside Joe Biden’s campaign fundraisers: Supporters regularly pay top dollar for a personal glimpse of the world’s most powerful man.
Wharton letter adds pressure on Penn president to resign: The governing body of the University of Pennsylvania's influential Wharton business school has joined a ...
Former president Donald Trump said Tuesday that he would not be a dictator upon returning to office “except for Day One,” as he largely deflected questions at ... Show more
Quick Glance: Trump Doesn't Rule Out Power Abuse
- Trump declines to rule out abusing power upon return to the White House
- Biden warns that Trump is determined to destroy American democracy
- Trump refuses to promise he would never abuse power to seek retribution
- Hannity solely questions Trump in an interview differing from the typical town hall format with audience questions
How to interview Trump while avoiding the mistakes of the past: The challenge with interviewing Trump is that his way of talking is fundamentally incompatible ...
Haley looks to secure staying power as an ascendant Trump rival: Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley’s ascendancy in the GOP presidential race has brought new ...
Tucker Carlson: ‘God would have to yell at me very loud’ to be Trump running mate
Trump takes center stage at Biden fundraisers: Former President Trump is not yet the Republican nominee for 2024, but he’s the main character at President ...
Liz Cheney's 'Oath and Honor' spotlights dangers of a potential 2nd Trump presidency
Nevada grand jury indicts 'fake electors' who backed Trump in 2020: A Nevada grand jury on Wednesday indicted six fake electors as part of a probe into the 2020 ...
Donald Trump Faces Legal 'Hurricane': The former president's 14th Amendment case in Colorado could have wide ranging political and legal consequences.
Quick Glance: Colorado Supreme Court to Decide on Trump's Ballot Removal
- Oral arguments set for Wednesday afternoon before Colorado Supreme Court regarding Trump's role in the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol
- Denver district court judge ruled Trump not disqualified under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment despite involvement in insurrection
- Trump also appealed judge's finding of culpability in Capitol attack
- Dozens of lawsuits filed this year to prevent Trump from running for president again
Cheney goes after Ramaswamy ‘inside job’ remarks: Former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) slammed Vivek Ramaswamy over his claims during the fourth GOP presidential ...
Federal judge approves settlement barring migrant family separations: A federal judge approved a settlement that prohibits U.S. officials from separating migrant ...
Democracy is at stake if Trump is reelected, Liz Cheney warns in her new book: Liz Cheney's book Oath and Honor: A Memoir and a Warning slams Trump's efforts to ...
Quick Glance: Liz Cheney Considers Third Party, Warns of Trump-led Threat
- Liz Cheney, once a rising GOP leader, is ready to create a new third party or run for president with one.
- She hopes to play a role in establishing a new conservative party, as restoring the current Republican Party seems impossible.
- Cheney is open to joining a bipartisan ticket in the next election to include both Republicans and Democrats.
- She warns of Trump as an existential threat and suggests that a third party could provide voters with an alternative.
President Joe Biden said he wasn’t sure if he’d be running for reelection if Donald Trump wasn’t also in the race, warning democracy is “more at risk in 2024” ... Show more
Quick Glance: Biden Contemplates 2024 Run, Cites Trump as Motivation
- Biden mentioned that he might not run again if not for the unique threat posed by Donald Trump to the United States.
- Biden stated that he would not drop out of the race if Trump stopped seeking his own second term.
- During his 2020 presidential campaign, Biden often cited Trump's handling of issues as part of his decision to run.
- Biden faces limited competition for his party's nomination and is positioning Trump as a danger to democracy itself.
In The Atlantic’s January/February 2024 special issue, 24 writers imagine what a second Trump term would look like. Read Jeffrey Goldberg's editors note: theatln.tc/T1QyJIbY
Quick Glance: Trump's Potential for Authoritarian Rule
- There is a realistic threat for Trump to achieve authoritarian rule in the United States.
- Trump allies are openly developing a plan to transform a second term into full-blown autocracy.
- Election officials, Republican lawmakers, and former Trump advisors testified with exceptional courage, mobilizing many voters against election deniers in 2022.
- The national response to the antidemocratic threat of the Trump years was surprisingly positive - not only in terms of elections but also institutionally.
The Trump Prosecutions Are Cause to Celebrate the Rule of Law: Compared with the mire of uncertainty in which the nation has wallowed for the past several years ...
What to watch in the battle over Trump’s trial calendar : If prosecutors get their way, former President Trump will spend much of 2024 in a courtroom ...
A messy contest is coming to a head behind Donald Trump: Our poll tracker sheds light on that competition. It may yet matter
Battenfeld: Biden starts crucial part of re-election campaign bogged down by corruption charges
Where Are All the Anti-Trump Republicans?: A vast array of GOP power brokers detest and disdain the former president. So why are they keeping so quiet?
Trump Voters Are America Too: If he wins a second term, perhaps we’ll finally dispense with the myth that “this is not who we are.”
Fake Trump electors settle civil lawsuit in Wisconsin, agree Biden won: Ten Republicans who posed as fake electors for former President Donald Trump in Wisconsin ...
Quick Glance: Pro-Trump Electors Indicted in Nevada
- A Nevada grand jury charged six Republicans claiming to be presidential electors in 2020, submitting false certificates to Congress asserting Trump's win in their state.
- Nevada AG Aaron D. Ford (D) launched an investigation earlier, making it the third state after Georgia and Michigan to seek charges against pro-Trump activists.
- In total, Trump electors met in seven states won by Biden, with investigations also underway in Arizona and New Mexico.
- The Nevada indictment has limited charges to the electors themselves so far, with the possibility of additional charges still unknown.
Nevada charges pro-Trump fake electors accused of attempting to overturn 2020 election
Donald Trump's Spent Nearly $1 Million Paying Witnesses: One expert witness in Trump's New York civil fraud trial is charging the former president at least $877 ...
Trump, U.S. conservatives embrace Argentina’s controversial new leader: Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and other GOP figures have embraced the controversial leader.
‘Other than day one’: Trump supercharges concerns of dictatorship in second term: Former President Trump has supercharged concerns that he would lead an ...
Key takeaways from the fourth Republican debate: As the 2024 GOP primary field narrows, four contenders sparred on gender-affirming care for minors, fentanyl ...
Donald Trump Legal Move Spells 'Danger Dead Ahead,' Former Prosecutor Warns: Glenn Kirschner called the recent move on Friday a case of Trump "trying to act as a ...
Donald Trump Issues Ominous Warning to New York: Trump said that no business will want to operate in New York if he is found guilty in the fraud trial.
Appeals court upholds gag order on Trump but narrows restrictions on his speech: ‘Sweeps too broadly’
Kodak Black arrested on cocaine charges in Florida: Kodak Black, the rapper whose prison sentence was commuted by former President Donald Trump in 2021 ...
Quick Glance: Kodak Black Arrested for Drug Possession and Probation Violation
- Kodak Black is in custody after being arrested for drug possession, and police say he attempted to hide the evidence right in front of them.
- According to the report, officers in Plantation, FL observed a black Bentley SUV blocking a road on Thursday morning, which they interpreted as an imminent danger.
- The officers say Kodak admitted there was marijuana in the SUV, but when the officer noticed a Styrofoam cup smelling of alcohol, he instructed Kodak to exit the vehicle.
- The officer noticed Kodak turning away and saw white powder falling on the ground as he stood in front of the patrol vehicle's beaming headlights.
Trump, Biden Both Give Fodder to Critics Looking for Other Choices: This is Washington Edition, the newsletter about money, power and politics in the nation’s ...
What to know about Trump-appointed judge in Hunter Biden tax case: Mark Scarsi, a U.S. district court judge, has been assigned to the case involving a federal ...
Still a chance Trump won’t testify again in fraud trial, former White House lawyer says
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!