News articles on this subject
McAuliffe backs Stoney, longtime political ally, for governor: Former Gov. Terry McAuliffe threw his support behind Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney in his bid to ...
Commentary: Democrats should temper their enthusiasm: In this election, Republicans overperformed
State party leaders show support for Virginia's elections: Rich Anderson, chairman of the Republican Party of Virginia and Susan Swecker, chairwoman of the ...
Commentary: Want to help Richmond's schoolchildren? Embrace educational choice: With the recent General Assembly elections behind us, it is imperative that our ...
Trump not immune from prosecution in U.S. election case, judge rules - National | Globalnews.ca
Quick Glance: Judge Rejects Trump's Immunity Claim
- Former US President Donald Trump attends civil fraud trial at New York State Supreme Court.
- Judge Tanya Chutkan rules that Trump has no immunity from criminal charges.
- Chutkan's ruling is the first in the US affirming that presidents can be charged with crimes like any other citizen.
- Trump's lawyers claimed he is 'absolutely immune' from charges, which was rejected by Judge Chutkan.
Trump gag order is partially upheld in Jan. 6 case: A federal appeals court panel has preserved most of a gag order on former President Donald Trump in his ...
Quick Glance: Court Preserves Trump Speech Restrictions
- A federal appeals court has preserved most of a speech restriction on former President Donald Trump in his election interference case.
- The court ruling would allow Trump to make public statements about the special counsel in the case, but not about other prosecutors, court staffers, or their family members if those remarks aim to interfere with their work.
- The appeals court ruling preserves the restrictions on Trump and other parties in the case from disparaging likely witnesses in the election interference case because of their expected testimony.
- The court stated that Trump does not enjoy unfettered rights to free speech like other criminal defendants.
Amid Crackdown on Independent Media, Azerbaijan Calls for Early Election: Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project
President Joe Biden said he wasn’t sure if he’d be running for reelection if Donald Trump wasn’t also in the race, warning democracy is “more at risk in 2024” ... Show more
Quick Glance: Biden Contemplates 2024 Run, Cites Trump as Motivation
- Biden mentioned that he might not run again if not for the unique threat posed by Donald Trump to the United States.
- Biden stated that he would not drop out of the race if Trump stopped seeking his own second term.
- During his 2020 presidential campaign, Biden often cited Trump's handling of issues as part of his decision to run.
- Biden faces limited competition for his party's nomination and is positioning Trump as a danger to democracy itself.
Nevada charges pro-Trump fake electors accused of attempting to overturn 2020 election
Prosecutors cite Trump's history of false election claims as evidence of motive: Prosecutors want to use evidence of former President Trump's baseless statements ...
Elections: Majority of Germans support early federal elections: 55 percent of Germans support Markus Söder's proposal to elect a new Bundestag in June 2024 ...
German Wildlife Foundation: Hedgehog is Animal of the Year 2024: Gravel gardens, surface sealing: the hedgehog finds less and less living space ...
Wisconsin false electors admit they acted to 'improperly overturn' the 2020 presidential election
Quick Glance: Wisconsin Trump Electors Admit Biden Victory
- 10 Republican electors retract false claims and admit Biden won the presidency.
- First agreement by pro-Trump electors to revoke their false claims and not repeat them.
- Investigations and criminal charges against Republican electors in other states are ongoing.
- Attorneys who assisted the Republican electors continue to be sued.
New Trump admin would try to prosecute journalists, former Trump adviser says: A former Trump administration official who remains close to Donald Trump warned on ...
Liz Cheney would rather see Democrats win in 2024: She warned of the "threat" from within her own party.
Six fake Donald Trump electors, indicted by Nevada grand jury: A Nevada grand jury has indicted six Nevada GOP members who submitted a document to Congress ...
Quick Glance: Nevada Indicts 6 Republicans as Fake Trump Electors
- A Nevada investigation led to the indictment of six Republicans who falsely declared Donald Trump the winner of the 2020 presidential election in their state.
- The fake electors, involved in the state GOP or Clark County GOP, have been charged with offering a false instrument for filing and uttering a forged instrument.
- The indictments in Nevada are just the latest in a series of investigations in several states into the activities of Republican electors.
- Democratic attorneys general in New Mexico and Arizona are also examining the role of fake electors in their states.
Pakistani Court Overturns Sharif’s Conviction in One Graft Case: A Pakistani court overturned the conviction of former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in a graft ...
Enough with all the fatalism about a Trump dictatorship: How the wrong kind of fear of Donald Trump could lead us astray.
Quick Glance: Trump's Potential for Authoritarian Rule
- There is a realistic threat for Trump to achieve authoritarian rule in the United States.
- Trump allies are openly developing a plan to transform a second term into full-blown autocracy.
- Election officials, Republican lawmakers, and former Trump advisors testified with exceptional courage, mobilizing many voters against election deniers in 2022.
- The national response to the antidemocratic threat of the Trump years was surprisingly positive - not only in terms of elections but also institutionally.
Geert Wilders’s Dutch election win is a headache for Europe: Hard-right parties are now part of the political landscape
Quick Glance: Geert Wilders and the Dutch Election Impact
- The rise of hard-right parties in the political landscape
- Geert Wilders's victory in the Dutch election on November 22nd has received praise from across Europe, particularly from right-wing political groups.
- Mr. Wilders's presence poses a challenge for the EU, accustomed to navigating differences between centrist parties of the left and right.
- The likelihood of further success for hard-right parties in upcoming elections is high.
Hunter Biden was indicted on nine tax charges in California on Thursday as a special counsel investigation into the business dealings of the president's son ... Show more
Quick Glance: Hunter Biden Indicted on 9 Tax Offenses
- Court documents reveal: Hunter Biden indicted on nine tax offenses, including three felony counts.
- Charges include allegations of failure to pay taxes, failure to file tax returns, evasion of assessments, and submission of fraudulent forms.
- Indictment claims defendant spent millions on an extravagant lifestyle instead of paying taxes. Charges brought by special counsel David Weiss.
- White House declined to comment, referred NBC News to Hunter Biden's attorneys and the Justice Department.
Tillis touts $1B for Richmond-Raleigh rail line, thanks Buttigieg: The Biden administration pledged $1 billion for a new rail connection between Richmond, Va. ...
Biden used to keep quiet about Trump. Now Biden's invoking his name to raise alarms
Quick Glance: Trump's Fascist Rhetoric Against Biden
- Trump compares President Biden to a fascist tyrant and distributes signs reading 'BIDEN ATTACKS DEMOCRACY'.
- He uses fascist rhetoric in his speeches in Iowa to rally his supporters and portray opponents as enemies.
- Since leaving the White House, Trump has stated he would have an expansive view of executive branch authority in a second term.
- The speech marked a striking rhetorical escalation of themes that Trump has consistently hammered as he racked up 91 criminal charges in four separate cases this year.
The Greens have confirmed party leaders Omid Nouripour and Ricarda Lang in office. Nouripour achieved 79% of the vote, a significant drop compared to the last ... Show more
Quick Glance: Re-election of Green Party Leaders Nouripour and Lang
- Ricarda Lang and Omid Nouripour re-elected with a large majority for two more years.
- Lang received 82.3% of the votes, Nouripour secured 79.1% of the votes.
- Ricarda Lang ran unopposed, while Omid Nouripour defeated outsider candidate Philipp Schmagold.
- Nouripour emphasized the good collaboration with Lang.
Donald Trump Says Undercover Agents Should Have Stopped Jan. 6 Happening: Trump is seeking disclosure of all undercover agents within five miles of the Capitol ...
Quick Glance: Trump's Request for Disclosure of Covert Investigators
- Trump is demanding the disclosure of all covert investigators within a five-mile radius of the Capitol during the events on January 6.
- According to Donald Trump's lawyers, undercover agents hiding among Trump supporters should have stopped the events on January 6.
- Trump's lawyers are requesting information on undercover agents to demonstrate that it was the security forces, not Trump, who could have stopped the Capitol invasion.
- The presence of undercover agents or informants would indicate a failure of controls and/or covert operations, as argued by Trump's lawyers.
Backstory on Trump's 'Guard the vote' phrase and why it's raising concerns: Former President Donald Trump is urging supporters to “guard the vote” during next ...
Virginia men's basketball team knocks off No. 14 Texas A&M in ACC-SEC Challenge: Virginia rode its starters to its most impressive win of the young college ...
'Not normal times': Here's why the Republican primary is a referendum on Joe Biden, not Donald Trump
Quick Glance: Unusual Times: Why the Republican Primary is a Referendum on Joe Biden, Not Donald Trump
- The Republican primary should focus on Donald Trump, but candidates are reluctant to attack him to avoid alienating voters.
- Republican candidate Chris Christie, who has criticized Trump, has little support in the polls.
- Fear of a political backlash is preventing challengers from attacking Trump.
- So far, attacks on Trump have strengthened him politically.
Trump Co-Defendant Kenneth Chesebro Cooperating With State Probes Into Fake Electors: CNN
Black leaders in Virginia Senate endorse Stoney for governor: Ten current and former members of the General Assembly, including three Black leaders in the Senate ...
Quick Glance: Virginia Senate Leaders Back Stoney's Governor Bid
- Ten prominent General Assembly members, including three Black Senate leaders, endorse Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney for the Democratic nomination for governor in 2025.
- Senate President Pro-Tempore Louise Lucas, D-Portsmouth, Sen. Mamie Locke, D-Hampton, and Sen. Lamont Bagby, D-Henrico, announce their support.
- Stoney launches gubernatorial campaign, setting up a 2025 Democratic primary battle against Rep. Abigail Spanberger, D-7th.
- If elected, Stoney would become Virginia's second Black governor, following Doug Wilder, who became the nation's first elected Black governor in 1990.
BVB passengers have decided: This tram seat is your clear favorite: BVB would like to order 23 new trams. When it came to choosing seats, they let passengers ...
US election 2020: Trump is said to have admitted defeat very early in a small circle - says Liz Cheney
Trump lawyers say Georgia charges violate ‘free speech’ and that he can’t be tried while president
Trump: I will be a dictator ‘on day one’ if re-elected: The frontrunner for the Republican nomination has some ideas of what he will do on the first day in the ...
How to interview Trump while avoiding the mistakes of the past: The challenge with interviewing Trump is that his way of talking is fundamentally incompatible ...
Joe Mauer added to the Hall of Fame ballot five years after retirement: The former Twins catcher and first baseman won three batting titles and was the AL MVP in ...
Megyn Kelly warns 'the country will burn' if Trump is jailed before Election Day: Megyn Kelly warned that "the country will burn" if Republican ...
Ron DeSantis and Vivek Ramaswamy accused Nikki Haley of being politically owned by her donors.
George Santos Is Expelled From House: Live Updates: Mr. Santos is the sixth member of the House to be expelled in the body’s history, and the first who had not ...
Quick Glance: George Santos Expelled from Congress
- House vote: New York Republican George Santos expelled.
- Santos, sixth member expelled in a Congress vote.
- Over 100 Republicans voted with Democrats for Santos' expulsion.
- Santos to be replaced in special election, date not set.
Muslim leaders in key US swing states launch 'Abandon Biden' campaign for 2024 election
A Florida election fraud chief died last year in the hallway of Ron DeSantis' office
Quick Glance: Tragic Death of Official at Ron DeSantis' Office
- Governor Ron DeSantis appointed Peter Antonacci in 2022 to head a new office to combat election fraud.
- Following a heated meeting, the top election fraud officer collapsed in the governor's office and went unnoticed for 24 minutes before receiving help.
- An in-depth investigation reveals more about the circumstances of Antonacci's death and his prior conflict with some of the state's top officials.
- Despite claims that Antonacci died after an argument, the records do not mention the governor.
Thousands of fake Facebook accounts shut down by Meta were primed to polarize voters ahead of 2024
Quick Glance: Meta Uncovers Fake Chinese Accounts
- The network covered topics such as abortion, culture war issues, and aid to Ukraine.
- China is now the third-largest geographical source of such networks.
- More than 4,700 accounts were part of the China-based network and used copied profile pictures and names.
- The company prohibits 'co-ordinated inauthentic behaviour' in its rules - posts from accounts that work together and use false identities.
What to watch in the battle over Trump’s trial calendar : If prosecutors get their way, former President Trump will spend much of 2024 in a courtroom ...
An official's life: Jerry Stone, member of Virginia High School Hall of Fame, dies
Quick Glance: Trailblazing Official: Jerry Stone, Virginia High School Hall of Fame Member, Passes Away
- Jerry Stone, a graduate of Highland Springs High (1962) and VCU (1966) as well as a Richmond native, passed away on Monday due to heart issues.
- With over 45 years as a teacher, coach, administrator, and official in the Richmond area, Mr. Stone was known for his exceptional contributions.
- In April, he was inducted into the Virginia High School Hall of Fame as a member of the 34th class and recognized by many as one of the leading basketball officials in the nation.
- Mr. Stone officiated for 45 years in basketball, 40 years in softball, and 15 years in volleyball, teaching basketball rules in the area and in the state of Virginia.
Ellwood Thompson's purchase price? $1.5 million: Rick Hood sold the store in October, 34 years after he and a partner opened a grocer that later became Ellwood ...
Should Ukraine’s Zelenskyy hold elections amid Russia war? No, say voters: Some politicians, in Ukraine and elsewhere, question whether the country should hold a ...
Richmond winter outlook: snowier than last 4 winters: For our official outlook, we expect 6-14 inches. Within that, at least one storm that produces more than 4 ...
U.S. political ad market projected to reach record $16 billion in 2024: More political ad money is moving from local broadcast to digital channels.
Arizona officials charged with allegedly conspiring to delay midterm election outcome
Quick Glance: Charges Filed Against Arizona Officials for Election Interference
- Indictment accuses two Cochise County supervisors of meddling with the state vote count.
- Election conspiracy theories rampant in the county.
- Peggy Judd and Tom Crosby pushed for a manual vote recount in heavily Republican Cochise County, Arizona.
- Two Arizona Republican county supervisors indicted for felony charges related to delaying the 2022 election results certification.
Billups career-high helps VCU hoops overcome 'Happy Valley Havoc' to down Rhoades, Penn State
MP, Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Rajasthan, election results 2023: What exit polls predicted — a recap | Mint
Suzy Sno merging with Ruby Scoops, moving to new location: Suzy Sno has left its Carytown spot at 3423 W. Cary St. to merge with Ruby Scoops, its parent company ...
Donations to GOP drop as worries mount about the party’s finances: Donors have not cut as many large checks to the RNC in recent years, and the party’s ...
As Anthony Albanese's fortunes slide, people start to wonder what sort of prime minister Peter Dutton might make
How Peter Dutton is winning the border wars against Anthony Albanese: Exclusive research shows the policy areas in which the Coalition’s messages are most ...
Quick Glance: Peter Dutton's Victory in Border Wars Against Anthony Albanese
- Voters have shifted to the Liberal Party, raising the Coalition’s primary vote to 34% and keeping Labor's support at its lowest point since the election.
- The shift has also affected personal support for Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, whose net performance rating dropped from minus 6 to minus 11 percentage points in the last month.
- Exclusive findings bring Opposition Leader Peter Dutton close to the Coalition’s last election result, with more voter support on national security and migration.
- 33% of voters support Dutton and the Coalition in managing immigration and refugees, while only 22% support Albanese and Labor, reversing the government’s lead on this question in October.
Trump’s lawyers argue he had good basis to question election results: Former President Donald Trump's lawyers are arguing that he had a good faith basis to ...
Candidate fails several times: Berlin Greens cancel party conference after election debacle
'Rebuild the base': How the Biden campaign will tackle a possible Trump rematch: A campaign manager for President Biden outlines the strategy if there's a repeat ...
Trump's Push to Steal the 2024 Election: Five Key Takeaways: Donald Trump and his allies are doing everything they can to rig the 2024 election ...
Ken Buck blasts his party's hardliners for ‘lying to America’: “Everybody who thinks that the election was stolen or talks about the election being stolen ...
NEW: Mike Pence told the special counsel probing Jan. 6 that then-President Trump was advised by "crank" lawyers and almost created a ... Show more
Quick Glance: Report: Pence's Hesitation to Preside Over Jan. 6 Electoral Count Revealed
- Mike Pence initially did not want to preside over the count of electoral votes on Jan. 6, 2021, amid pressure from Trump to overturn the election results.
- Investigations by special counsel Jack Smith show that Pence left personal notes indicating his initial reluctance to preside over the count of electoral votes.
- Pence told investigators that his loyalty to Trump never wavered at the time.
- Pence was also questioned about his recent memoir, detailing conversations with Trump about certifying the votes, including an investigation into the placement of a comma in one section of the book, which Pence deemed a mistake.
Louisiana candidate wins by 1 vote in Caddo Parish Sheriff election: In the northwest corner of Louisiana, a candidate for parish sheriff is demanding a recount ...
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!