Quick Glance: Senate Confirms Joint Chiefs Chairman as Tuberville Blocks Military Nominees
- Brown's confirmation on an 83-11 vote follows President Joe Biden's nomination for the position.
- Tuberville continues to block routine approval of military nominations, frustrating Democrats.
- Austin welcomes Brown as a 'tremendous leader,' replacing Army Gen. Mark Milley as Joint Chiefs Chairman.
- Tuberville holds up additional nominations until the Pentagon changes its policy on funding travel for abortions and reproductive care.
Quick Glance: US Senator Menendez Indicted for Bribery
- Indictment unsealed against chair of powerful foreign relations committee and his wife
- Menendez, Democratic senator from New Jersey, allegedly accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes
- He is accused of using his influence to benefit the Government of Egypt
- Further allegations include attempting to disrupt a criminal investigation
Quick Glance: White House prepares for government shutdown as House Republicans lack a viable plan
- Speaker Kevin McCarthy announces that the House will start voting on the latest plan next week.
- The White House is preparing to direct federal agencies to get ready for a shutdown after House Republicans left without a realistic plan to fund the government and avoid disruptive consequences.
- A federal shutdown after September 30 appears likely unless Speaker Kevin McCarthy can convince his rebellious, right-wing faction to approve a temporary funding measure to prevent closures during ongoing talks.
- The standoff with House Republicans over government funding jeopardizes various activities, including military and law enforcement personnel pay, food safety and aid programs, air travel, and passport processing, potentially causing havoc in the US economy.
Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.) has a deal for Republicans complaining about his attire: You avoid a government ...
Quick Glance: Fetterman criticizes Boebert over Fox News dress code coverage
- Fetterman criticizes Boebert for her removal from a musical performance.
- Fetterman responds to Fox News coverage of the Senate's updated dress code.
- Fetterman would have violated the dress code prior to the update.
- Republicans blame Fetterman for the Senate's loosened dress code.
Quick Glance: Biden administration grants protection to hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans amid border pressure
- The Biden administration is granting temporary legal status to hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans already in the country.
- The Homeland Security Department plans to grant Temporary Protected Status to an estimated 472,000 Venezuelans who arrived by July 31, 2023.
- This will make it easier for them to get work authorization to address the increased number of migrants.
- Accelerated work permits do not apply to those who cross the border illegally and seek asylum.
Only a few people in Germany are openly and firmly right-wing ...
Trend reflects election surveys: Study
Quick Glance: Study: Significant Increase in Right-wing Views in Germany
- Right-wing views have significantly increased in the German population since 2021.
- Currently, one in twelve adults holds right-wing views.
- The percentage has risen from about 2 to 3 percent to 8.3 percent.
- The accusation of restricted freedom of speech is shared by a significantly larger number of respondents.
Quick Glance: White House monitors House GOP dysfunction as government shutdown approaches
- Biden aides communicate with congressional leaders about extending the federal funding deadline.
- Economists predict moderate growth impact from a government shutdown, followed by potential greater growth.
- The White House acknowledges the possibility of a shutdown, with potential political consequences for the GOP.
- House Republicans are blamed for not adhering to the debt ceiling agreement reached in June.
Quick Glance: Dallas Mayor Joins GOP, Criticizes Democratic Policies
- Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson announced his party switch and will now serve as a Republican-affiliated mayor in the blue-leaning city.
- In a Wall Street Journal op-ed, he criticized his former party for 'exacerbated crime and homelessness'. 'The future of America’s great urban centers depends on the willingness of the nation’s mayors to champion law and order and practice fiscal conservatism,' Johnson wrote.
- President Joe Biden won Dallas County by over 30 points in the 2020 election.
- The Texas Democratic Party issued a scathing statement, accusing Johnson of being dishonest with Dallas voters.
Despite Tuberville delay, U.S. Senate confirms 2 nominees for Joint Chiefs of Staff - UPI.com
Quick Glance: Söder confirmed as CSU leader with 96.5 percent
- Söder appeals for party unity and receives strong result in re-election
- Significant improvement: 96.5 percent of the votes compared to 87.6 percent two years ago
- Strong attacks against the AfD in Söder's speech
- Coalition with the Greens categorically ruled out, CSU expects election victory
Senate confirms George to lead Army, bucking Tuberville logjam: But Democrats aren't declaring victory yet as more than 300 more officers are in limbo.
Quick Glance: Ken Paxton criticizes Biden administration and Texas House over impeachment
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) criticizes the Biden administration and Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan (R) over his impeachment and trial.
- Paxton alleges that the impeachment was a way to get him 'out of the way' after he filed lawsuits against the administration.
- Paxton had been accused of misusing the powers of his office to aid a friend and campaign donor, but none of the articles of impeachment received the required votes to convict.
- While other Paxton allies have also criticized the Texas House for the impeachment, Phelan has stood by the effort.
Rep. Ralph Norman, R-SC, tells our Amna Nawaz that a government shutdown is "100%" likely due to Republican division over a path to fund the ... Show more
Quick Glance: US House Democrat Foresees 'Civil War' Among Republicans as Shutdown Approaches
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy pledges to hold a vote on the defense spending bill despite opposition from hardline Republicans
- Republican-controlled House and Democratic-led Senate must act to avoid a partial shutdown by Oct. 1
- McCarthy aims to prevent a shutdown on Oct. 1, as it would benefit Democrats
- Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi warns of the impact of a shutdown on vulnerable individuals
Quick Glance: Polish Politics Shaped by 'Ukraine Fatigue'
- Poland provides leading military assistance to protect Poland from Russian aggression.
- The change in tone of the Polish government regarding Ukraine is surprising.
- There is discussion about the importance of Ukraine's gratitude for Polish support.
- Andrzej Duda compared Ukraine to a drowning man endangering his rescuers.
Now Dems are saying "nay" to Senate's relaxed dress code: The Senate's new casual dress code appears to be hanging on by a thread.
The following applies to migration debates: simple solutions may work ...
Asylum, upper limit, election campaign
Quick Glance: Migration Debate: The Necessity of a Reflective Discussion
- Simple solutions are suitable for election campaigns, but not for reality.
- Politicians should not ignore the issue, but rather participate in a broad discussion.
- Germany has successfully integrated many people, but there are still challenges.
- A calm and comprehensive debate on migration is long overdue.
She clamors against gendering, the Greens - and since Monika Gruber appeared at a ...
Performance by cabaret artist Monika Gruber
Quick Glance: Comedian Monika Gruber: From the Stage to Politics?
- Monika Gruber criticizes gendering and the Green party.
- Her appearance at a demonstration with Hubert Aiwanger and Markus Söder sparks speculation about her entry into politics.
Auto workers are on strike at General Motors, Ford and Stellantis ...
UAW strike Day 4
Quick Glance: UAW resumes talks with Stellantis, Chrysler's parent company
- The United Auto Workers and Stellantis have resumed their negotiations as the strike against the Detroit Three automakers enters its fourth day.
- Analysts and industry representatives are questioning how long it will take for the UAW to strike at additional locations to increase pressure on the automakers.
- The strikes have halted production at plants in Michigan, Ohio, and Missouri that manufacture the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, Chevrolet Colorado, and other popular models.
- Ford has temporarily laid off 600 non-striking workers at the Michigan Bronco plant due to the impact of the work stoppage.
Quick Glance: The End of the Informal Dress Code: The New Casual Look of US Senators
- The supervisors in the US Senate are planning to eliminate the formal dress code.
- On the other hand, one senator is pleased with the change.
- The US Senate may become more casual in the future.
- A supporter of the new rules is Democratic Senator John Fetterman from Pennsylvania.
Activists of the "Last Generation" have sprayed the Brandenburg Gate with ...
"Last Generation" | Brandenburg Gate attack
Quick Glance: Climate Protest in Berlin: Last Generation Sprays Brandenburg Gate
- Climate activists demand exit from oil, gas, and coal.
- Last Generation sprays Brandenburg Gate, calling it part of the turning point.
- Color spillage on Pariser Platz.
- Fire extinguishers used for the Last Generation's action.
Quick Glance: David McCormick joins the Senate race in Pennsylvania
- Former CEO of Bridgewater Associates, David McCormick, officially begins his campaign to defeat Democratic Senator Bob Casey in Pennsylvania.
- McCormick announced his candidacy during a kickoff event in Pittsburgh.
- Both national and Pennsylvania Republicans consider McCormick the top choice to defeat Casey.
- The McCormick campaign will face several challenges.
In addition to calling for Andreas Geitz to resign, politicians in Hagen have to stand up to the AfD much ...
Quick Glance: Hagen: AfD Politicians Deceive the Citizens
- Discussion before council meeting: AfD faction leader Eiche and demand for resignation of Andreas Geitz
- Politics in Hagen must confront AfD more often - Commentary by Martin Weiske
Quick Glance: House Republicans to Conduct Initial Hearing on President Biden's Impeachment
- House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer, R-Ky., plans to hold the first hearing on the impeachment of President Biden next week.
- The hearing will focus on constitutional and legal questions surrounding the president's alleged involvement in corruption and abuse of office.
- The committee also intends to subpoena personal and business bank records of Hunter and James Biden as early as this week.
- The Oversight Committee will continue to follow the evidence and financial transactions to ensure transparency and accountability in government.
Many municipalities support Söder's push to introduce a cap on refugees ...
Quick Glance: Limiting Immigration: Cities and Municipalities Call for Action
- Many municipalities support Söder's proposal for an upper limit on refugees.
- However, Minister of the Interior Faeser rejects the proposal.
- Counties, cities, and municipalities feel abandoned by the federal government due to the increasing number of refugees.
- They lament a lack of funding, accommodations, and places for young refugees in schools and daycare centers.
46 Republican senators slam Schumer's Senate dress code enforcement change: "Allowing casual clothing on the Senate floor disrespects the institution we ...
Recommended for you