News articles on this subject
Matt Gaetz: McCarthy Has No Plan ‘to Follow Through’ on Impeachment: The House speaker is “throwing impeachment out like an ill-cast lure,” Gaetz said.
Gaetz says Santos expulsion push will do ‘grave damage to this institution’: Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) on Thursday argued expelling Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y ...
Quick Glance: Congressman Accused of Fraud
- Image caption: George Santos has refused to resign despite a host of fraud and other allegations against him
- It is alleged that Mr Santos misused campaign funds and employed 'repeated dishonesty and deception' to gain a seat in Congress
- A spokesperson for his congressional office declined to comment on personal allegations
- Tiffany Bogosian, a lawyer who attended middle school with Mr Santos in Sunnyside, Queens, stated that he tried to please everyone from a young age
Kevin McCarthy Says Matt Gaetz ‘Belongs in Jail’: Gaetz led the charge to oust McCarthy from the speakership earlier this year.
Cheney: McCarthy went to Mar-a-Lago after Jan. 6 because Trump was ‘not eating’: Former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) asserts Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif ...
Matt Gaetz Is Miraculously More Hated Than Ever in Congress: And that’s saying something for a man who was under FBI investigation for allegedly sex-trafficking ...
Exclusive: Liz Cheney’s new book blasts GOP as ‘enablers and collaborators’ of Trump, whom one member called ‘Orange Jesus’
Opinion: Poland's democratic rebirth pains: WARSAW – In October, Polish voters demonstrated that even extremely unequal elections against authoritarian ...
Trump should pick Haley as VP, McCarthy says: Former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said in an interview Wednesday that he would advise former President Trump ...
US election 2020: Trump is said to have admitted defeat very early in a small circle - says Liz Cheney
Divisions leave Florida’s House Republicans powerless: The lack of a cohesive delegation has allowed attention-seeking lawmakers to act on their own.
Biden in Colorado to blast Boebert and ‘MAGA Republicans’: President touts wind energy as he seeks to use hard-right House Republicans as a foil
Quick Glance: Biden Calls Out Boebert as Leader of 'MAGA Movement' in Colorado
- Biden singles out Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) as a leader of the 'MAGA movement' during his visit to her congressional district.
- Biden visits wind tower manufacturer CS Wind in Pueblo, Colo., emphasizing Boebert's role in the 'MAGA movement'.
- Biden mentions Boebert as one of the leaders of the extreme 'MAGA movement' and highlights her voting record against the IRA.
- Biden joins CS Wind workers on stage, emphasizing the positive impact of the company on the population, including in Boebert's district.
Most in new Florida poll disapprove of Gaetz performance: More than half of likely voters in Florida disapprove of Rep. Matt Gaetz’s (R) performance while in ...
Ken Buck blasts his party's hardliners for ‘lying to America’: “Everybody who thinks that the election was stolen or talks about the election being stolen ...
Marjorie Taylor Greene returns to outsider roots: On the day House Republicans and a smattering of Democrats voted to censure U.S. Rep. Rashida Tlaib over ...
Rosalynn Carter, transformative former first lady and mental health advocate, dies
Quick Glance: Jimmy Carter Faces Life Alone After Rosalynn's Passing
- Rosalynn Carter, aged 90, underwent major surgery in Atlanta.
- The surgeon warned Jimmy Carter about the dangers of the operation due to Rosalynn's advanced age.
- After learning of Rosalynn's survival, Jimmy made the decision to retire and spend time with her.
- This marked the moment when he truly retired from executive meetings at the Carter Center.
Kevin McCarthy Brutally Fact-Checked After Claiming U.S. Never Got Land From War: Somebody needs to dust off their textbooks.
McCarthy accused of elbowing lawmaker, while fight nearly breaks out in Senate: The breakdowns in decorum came on a day when lawmakers were laboring to avoid a ...
Quick Glance: McCarthy's Altercation Sparks Hallway Chase
- Altercation between former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and a GOP colleague leads to a chase in the chamber.
- Representative Tim Burchett was among the eight Republicans who voted to remove McCarthy from his position as Speaker of the House.
- Burchett pursued McCarthy down the hallway, confronting him about the incident, as reported by Grisales.
- Burchett described the elbow as a surprise, stating it was a direct blow to the kidneys.
Speaker Johnson says he will release all non-sensitive January 6 footage in move to please far right
Quick Glance: U.S. Speaker's Decision: Public Release of 44,000 Hours Jan. 6 Footage
- House Speaker Mike Johnson is planning to make thousands of hours of footage from the Jan. 6, 2021, U.S. Capitol attack available to the public.
- The decision aims to give millions of Americans, criminal defendants, public interest organizations, and the media the ability to view the events firsthand.
- Approximately 90 hours of security footage will be released on a public committee website on Friday, with over 40,000 hours expected to follow in the coming months.
- A public viewing room will be established in the Capitol to enable viewing of the footage while the faces of individuals are blurred in the processing of the recordings.
Poland’s parliament moves to restore in-vitro funding: It’s the first of what it likely to be a deluge of socially liberal bills.
By relying heavily on Democrats' help to pass his government funding plan, has the Republican speaker given himself an even bigger problem down the line? trib.al/JGCFvfJ
Quick Glance: Senate Passes Legislation to Prevent Government Shutdown
- The Senate approved a bill on Wednesday to extend funding for federal agencies and sent the legislation to prevent a government shutdown to President Biden, just days before the weekend deadline.
- The bill, passed by a vote of 87-11, signifies a significant de-escalation between congressional Democrats and the new House Speaker, Mike Johnson (R-La.).
- Without the new spending measure, referred to as a continuing resolution or CR, the government would have closed shortly after midnight on Saturday, compelling federal employees - including military personnel and airport security officers - to work without pay or go on furlough on the eve of Thanksgiving.
- These concessions were sufficient to secure easy bipartisan support in the Senate, which is much less concerned with spending debates.
Members behaving badly erodes respect for Congress : One of the principal challenges of the new House Speaker should be to find ways to re-educate members and ...
Kingi urges Western leaders to rally behind Wetang'ula: Senate Speaker Amason Kingi has called on Western leaders to rally behind his National Assembly ...
More Members of Congress Are Retiring, Many Citing Dysfunction: More than three dozen incumbents have announced they will not seek re-election next year ...
Kinzinger Tells CNN McCarthy ‘Shoulder Checked’ Him Too: “We were passing each other basically on the same walkway in the House, and he leans over and shoulder ...
Santos hit with second effort to oust him this week: Rep. Anthony D’Esposito (R-N.Y.) moved to force a vote on expelling Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y ...
Rep. Kevin McCarthy Mocked For Historically Illiterate Tweet: The former House speaker is getting torched for an inaccurate post that suggests the U.S ...
Polish PiS to take oath despite no majority
Quick Glance: Poland's President Swears in Government for Up to 14 Days
- President Andrzej Duda swore in Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki after October elections.
- According to the constitution, Morawiecki and his Cabinet have 14 days to face a vote of confidence in parliament.
- They are almost certain to lose the vote due to lack of coalition partners.
- Critics denounce the decision to appoint a government with no apparent chance at winning parliamentary backing as a hopeless act of political theater.
BREAKING: Sam Miele, a fundraiser for embattled Rep. George Santos, pleaded guilty to wire fraud in connection with impersonating an aide to then-House Speaker ... Show more
Quick Glance: Ethics Chairman Seeks Expulsion of George Santos
- Chairman files resolution for expulsion vote against Rep. George Santos.
- Report reveals evidence of campaign donation misuse.
- Separate expulsion resolution filed outside of committee process.
- Santos accused of wiring funds to personal account for campaign use.
Pelosi says she hasn’t spoken with McCarthy since ouster: Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said she hasn’t spoken with her fellow former Speaker, Rep ...
Speaker Johnson faces 'pressure cooker' in the House, running into same issues as McCarthy
UP Assembly winter session starts today as new rules kick in, Opp wants it extended
Republicans Are the Party of Asinine Toxic Masculinity: A GOP senator challenging a union boss to a fight and an alleged kidney punch in the hallway by a deposed ...
Quick Glance: Senate Committee: Senator Challenges Teamsters President to Fight
- Mullin, former MMA fighter, provokes Teamsters President O'Brien during Senate hearing.
- Senator Sanders intervenes to prevent confrontation.
- Mullin suggests settling the dispute with a charity fight.
- Sanders interrupts discussion about physical violence.
Who is Mike Johnson? More than 40% of Americans don't know, poll finds: 14% of voters said they viewed Johnson positively while 23% had a negative view of him.
The far right toppled McCarthy over spending. What has it gotten them?: House GOP conservatives have demanded steep reductions to the federal budget ...
Matt Gaetz Ups the McCarthy-Burchett Drama With Ethics Complaint: The McCarthy nemesis called for an “immediate and swift investigation” into the “assault.”
‘He’s like the backup quarterback that comes in in the fourth quarter’ : Rep. Jamie Raskin says Speaker Mike Johnson has a decent shot to weather the shutdown ...
DNC chair calls Republicans fighting in Congress a ‘clown show’: The chair of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) called Republican fighting in Congress a ...
New York House GOP sees fundraising void without McCarthy cash: Vulnerable Republicans say others will step up to help ahead of their reelection bids
Speaker Mike Johnson confronts the same problems that vexed Kevin McCarthy: The new House Speaker is trying to rebuild the Republican's slim majority ...
Kevin McCarthy Unsure If He Will Run For Reelection: Just last month, McCarthy told reporters he was “not resigning” from the House and would run for reelection.
Mike Johnson plans to release 44,000 hours of Jan. 6 footage: House Speaker Mike Johnson says he plans to publicly release hours of footage from the Jan. 6, 2021 ...
Santos says he won’t seek reelection after release of ethics report: The House Ethics Committee found “substantial evidence” Santos violated federal laws.
‘Bait and switch’: Liz Cheney book tears into Mike Johnson over pro-Trump January 6 brief
Kevin McCarthy’s Pants on Fire claim that U.S. never asked for land after wars: Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., recently posted footage of himself ...
Government shutdown bill live updates: House set to vote on its plan today: Latest news and live updates as the House votes on a bill to avert a government ...
Nation mourns Rosalynn Carter, who helped redefine role of first lady: Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter died Sunday at the age of 96. Prominent figures ...
Quick Glance: Jimmy Carter's Most Exciting Moment
- When Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002, he named something else as his most exciting experience: when Rosalynn said she'd marry him.
- Carter had achieved many things in his life, including his presidency, work with Habitat for Humanity, and advocacy for human rights.
- The longest presidential marriage in U.S. history ended with the death of Rosalynn Carter after over 77 years of marriage.
- Jimmy knew immediately that he would marry Rosalynn, despite her initial reluctance.
House votes to prevent a government shutdown as GOP Speaker Johnson relies on Democrats for help
House conservatives give Speaker Johnson a ‘mulligan’ in funding fight — for now: Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) is getting a free pass from hard-line Republicans ...
‘Comrade Zondo is busy politicking’ — Mkhwebane launches attack on chief justice: EFF MP Busisiwe Mkhwebane has launched an attack on chief justice Raymond Zondo ...
Finley: On cage fights and kidney punches: What happened in Congress over the past week is indicative of the sorry place we've come to as a people.
House Republicans propose two-step funding package to avoid partial government shutdown
House Republican's furious speech shows Mike Johnson's honeymoon is over: Chip Roy challenged his colleagues to present just "one thing" the GOP ...
An aggrieved McCarthy weighs leaving the House with his GOP foes on his mind: Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy is weighing whether to stay in office following ...
Jimmy Kimmel Torches Trump With Eric-Related Reason For His Post-Jan. 6 Grief: The “Jimmy Kimmel Live” host hit the former president with a new theory.
Polish pro-EU candidate elected speaker of parliament: Szymon Holownia was elected Marshal of the Sejm – the speaker of the Polish lower house – in a victory for ...
Congress got its Christmas break — and will suffer for it in January: For the first time in ages, Congress isn't facing a Christmastime shutdown threat ...
The Biden impeachment inquiry nears its end game, while also not moving : Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) figures they’ll come to a decision in January ...
House Republicans are jumping off the sinking ship: Any Republican on the ballot in 2024 faces the ugly prospect of being asked to defend Trump for the next ...
Speaker Johnson "confident" aid for Ukraine, Israel will pass House: Johnson said the supplemental funding packing should be ready "in the coming ...
Virginia Rep. Abigail Spanberger is running for governor in 2025 instead of seeking reelection to the House
Quick Glance: Abigail Spanberger Declares 2025 Virginia Governor Candidacy
- Politics | Spanberger announces Virginia governor candidacy, leaving her House seat at stake.
- Spanberger helped win the House majority in 2018, and her decision could make it harder for Democrats to regain control in 2024.
- Spanberger is seen as one of the strongest Democratic candidates to succeed Governor Glenn Youngkin, a Republican who is term-limited.
- Spanberger, a prominent Virginia Democrat who repeatedly won in a conservative-leaning district, announced she would run for governor in 2025, leaving open a competitive seat crucial to her party's efforts to win back House control next year.
Government shutdown looms as new speaker struggles to control hardliners: New House Speaker Mike Johnson may already be losing his first big clash with the ...
Congressional pressure cooker explodes as personal feuds turn physical: Vulgar insults, violent threats and alleged "kidney punch" make up a bizarre ...
New broom in Poland’s parliament as the opposition takes power: After eight years in power, the nationalist Law and Justice party finds itself on the back foot.
New House speaker passes first test: Avoid shutdown: Hard-right Republicans aren’t happy about the stopgap funding measure, but they’re giving their new speaker ...
Biden, China's Xi will discuss communication, competition at APEC summit: The White House said on Monday President Joe Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping ...
Quick Glance: Biden, Xi to Discuss Communication and Competition at APEC Summit
- President Joe Biden meets with President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the G20 leaders' summit in Bali, Indonesia, on November 14, 2022.
- The face-to-face meeting in the San Francisco Bay Area will be the first between Biden and Xi in a year, aiming to curb tensions between the two superpowers.
- Communication between the militaries is the key to ensure competition does not veer into conflict, and China has been 'constructive' on the issue in dialogue leading up to the summit.
- The meeting is also expected to cover global issues from the Israel-Hamas war to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, as well as 'fair' trade and economic relations.
Accusation from US Republican: Kevin McCarthy is said to have hit party colleagues in the kidneys
Johnson brings defense chops to upcoming spending fight: New Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) has spent the last couple years on the House Armed Services Committee ...
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!