Quick Glance: Congressman Accused of Fraud
- Image caption: George Santos has refused to resign despite a host of fraud and other allegations against him
- It is alleged that Mr Santos misused campaign funds and employed 'repeated dishonesty and deception' to gain a seat in Congress
- A spokesperson for his congressional office declined to comment on personal allegations
- Tiffany Bogosian, a lawyer who attended middle school with Mr Santos in Sunnyside, Queens, stated that he tried to please everyone from a young age
Quick Glance: Rand Paul Saves Choking Sen. Ernst with Heimlich Maneuver
- Rand Paul (R-Ky.) used the Heimlich maneuver to save Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) after she began choking at a Senate lunch.
- Ernst confirmed the incident in a post on X and criticized the Democrats' policies.
- The incident comes just over eight months after a member of Paul’s staff was attacked with a knife in Washington D.C.
Quick Glance: Democrats Vote to Subpoena Supreme Court Conservative Allies
- Senate Democrats vote to subpoena conservative allies of Supreme Court justices to learn about undisclosed gifts.
- Republicans push back against demanding information from Harlan Crow and Leonard Leo.
- Democrats argue for more information from Crow and Leo, stating that the court's code of conduct is insufficient.
- Republicans resist, claiming the effort aims to delegitimize the conservative court majority.
A debate between the two governors comes amid DeSantis’ ...
5 takeaways from the DeSantis and Newsom debate
Quick Glance: Key Points in DeSantis-Newsom Debate on Fox
- DeSantis and Newsom will participate in a 90-minute debate titled 'DeSantis vs. Newsom: The Great Red vs. Blue State Debate,' moderated by Fox News host Sean Hannity.
- Both governors have developed a growing rivalry over the past months and may use the debate to boost their political careers.
- Expect personal attacks between Newsom and DeSantis, as they have criticized each other in the past.
- The outcome of the debate could impact the perception of Florida and California, as both governors have clashed over various political issues.
Quick Glance: Biden's Plan: Cities to Replace Lead Pipes in 10 Years
- Most U.S. cities must replace lead pipes within 10 years under new strict rules to reduce lead in drinking water and prevent health crises.
- Millions drink from lead pipes and tighter standards would improve children's IQ scores and reduce high blood pressure and heart disease in adults.
- The strongest overhaul of lead rules in over three decades will cost billions of dollars.
- The Biden administration aims to remove all roughly 9 million lead pipes in the nation, rapidly.
Quick Glance: Tesla Unveils Cybertruck for $61,000
- Elon Musk presented the futuristic electric vehicle in Austin and began delivering to buyers.
- The Cybertruck is priced at $61,000 to $100,000, depending on the model.
- Tesla showcased videos of the Cybertruck beating other vehicles in a towing competition and a race.
- Competition from Ford and Rivian has also increased with their own electric pickups.
Quick Glance: Trump's Fundraiser Choice Over GOP Debate
- Former President Donald Trump will not participate in the GOP presidential debate next week but will instead attend a fundraiser in Florida.
- Trump has opted to skip his party's previous primary debates, citing his dominant lead in early state and national polls.
- During the last debate, Trump held a rally in Hialeah, a Miami suburb, which felt like the main event in many ways.
- Instead of participating in the second debate, he traveled to Michigan to speak out against President Joe Biden at an auto-parts manufacturing plant during an autoworkers' strike.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken is urging Israeli ...
Quick Glance: Blinken Calls on Israel to Uphold International Law
- Blinken reaffirms U.S. support for Israel’s right to self-defense.
- He emphasizes the importance of compliance with international humanitarian law and the protection of civilians in Gaza.
- Blinken urges accountability for settler extremists and the resumption of the peace process.
- Netanyahu remains silent on settler violence or a two-state solution after the meeting with Blinken.
A New York appeals court has reinstated a gag order that barred Donald Trump from commenting about ...
Quick Glance: Trump's Gag Order Reinstated in Civil Fraud Trial
- Former President exits court after testifying
- Previously lifted gag order back in place
- Decision pending on appeal from Trump's legal team
- Gag order prohibits comments about Judge Engoron's staff
Quick Glance: Twitter Successor X: Musk Insults Defecting Advertisers
- Elon Musk lashes out at major advertisers who have withdrawn from X.
- Musk warns that a boycott by advertisers will kill X (formerly Twitter).
- Musk emphasizes that he is not an antisemite and that the visit to Israel was unrelated to the controversy surrounding his X post.
At Rosalynn Carter's memorial service Tuesday, her grandson Jason thanked the "remarkable sisterhood" — a rare gathering of all five current or ... Show more
Quick Glance: Rosalynn Carter's Funeral in Hometown
- Funeral held at Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains, Georgia
- Pastor Tony Lowden highlights her global humanitarian work
- Jimmy Carter leaves hospice to attend the memorial service
- Family and friends share affectionate stories and anecdotes
Quick Glance: Jodie Foster: Superhero Movies Lasting Too Long
- Jodie Foster criticizes the lasting dominance of superhero movies and hopes for their end soon.
- Nevertheless, she admires movies like 'Iron Man', 'Black Panther', and 'The Matrix', emphasizing that this is not the reason for her acting career.
Quick Glance: Court Decision: Texas Border Razor Wire Stays for Now
- Federal judge rejects bid to stop Texas from removing razor wire fencing at the Mexico border, erected by state agencies to deter illegal crossings.
- Concerns raised by migrant and environmental groups over wire injuries to migrants crossing the Rio Grande.
- The judge agrees that the wire acts as a barrier between crossing migrants and law enforcement and must be cut in emergencies like drowning or heatstroke.
- Criticism of the federal government's wire-cutting without prior notification for reasons other than emergencies.
Warner Bros. Pictures released the trailer for 'Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga ...
Quick Glance: 'Furiosa' Unveiled: Anya Taylor-Joy as Warrior in 'Mad Max' Prequel
- Anya Taylor-Joy transforms into a post-apocalyptic warrior for 'Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga,' the prequel to 'Mad Max: Fury Road.'
- Directed by George Miller, the film features Taylor-Joy as Furiosa, taking over from Charlize Theron.
- The highly anticipated movie follows Taylor-Joy's character from her upbringing in a peaceful place to her transformation into the fierce warrior seen in 'Fury Road.'
- 'Furiosa' is co-written by George Miller and Nick Lathouris, and Taylor-Joy impressed with her audition using a scene from 'Network.'
Quick Glance: Investigation of Florida GOP Chairman
- Police in Sarasota, Florida, are conducting an investigation involving the Florida GOP Chairman, as confirmed by his attorney and a police report.
- Sarasota police confirmed the activity of the investigation without confirming details.
Quick Glance: US Military Aircraft Crashes in Sea off Japan, Crew's Condition Unknown
- A US military aircraft with eight people onboard crashed into the sea off the western coast of Japan, with three people found but their condition unknown.
- The coast guard dispatched patrol boats and aircraft to the crash site of the tilt-rotor V-22 Osprey off the island of Yakushima.
- The crash occurred near the island's airport, where another Osprey successfully landed.
- The aircraft disappeared from radar at 2:40 p.m. local time, said Japan Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno.
NASA animations show how our Earth's climate has changed over the decades - and which influencing ...
Climate crisis worsens
Quick Glance: Worsening Climate Crisis: Nasa Data Reveals Alarming Trend
- Nasa animations show climate changes and influencing factors.
- Current data demonstrates significant impact of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Surface temperature development and exceeding global warming limit.
- Greenland and Antarctica losing large amounts of ice annually.
Safina Namukwaya used IVF treatment to conceive and gave birth via caesarean.
Quick Glance: 70-Year-Old Ugandan Woman Gives Birth to Twins
- In an interview with the Monitor, Ms. Namukwaya expressed her anticipation of a miracle happening on Wednesday.
- Carrying twins at her age was not something she had expected or planned.
- Her partner organized transport to the hospital after she expressed her inability to afford it.
- Feeling insulted for being childless, Ms. Namukwaya decided to get pregnant.
Quick Glance: Hottest Year in Recorded History Confirmed
- Scientists confirmed extreme temperatures as world leaders gathered for a summit on global warming in Dubai.
- The World Meteorological Organization announced that this year is 'virtually certain' to be the hottest in recorded history.
- The organization reported that 2023 has been about 1.4 degrees Celsius above the global average preindustrial temperature from 1850 to 1990.
- Researchers found that extreme temperatures in North America and Europe would have been 'virtually impossible' without the influence of climate change from the burning of fossil fuels.
Quick Glance: Koch Group Backs Haley's 2024 Presidential Run
- Conservative political network led by Charles Koch endorses Nikki Haley for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.
- Group prioritizes defeating Donald Trump in the Republican primaries, believing he would lose to President Joe Biden.
- Koch-affiliated Super PAC, Americans for Prosperity Action, will support Haley with campaign funds and thousands of staffers nationwide.
- Internal group polls show Haley in the best position to defeat Trump in the Republican primaries.
Quick Glance: US Judge Blocks Montana's TikTok Ban
- US judge blocks Montana's first TikTok ban, citing violations of user free speech rights.
- Judge issues injunction against Chinese app ban, deeming it unconstitutional and overreaching.
- TikTok sued Montana in May, arguing the ban violates First Amendment free speech rights.
- Montana TikTok users filed suit to block the ban over concerns about personal data and Chinese spying.
Quick Glance: Russia Bans International LGBT Movement as 'Extremist'
- Russia's Supreme Court bans the 'international LGBT public movement' as an extremist organization, despite its lack of organizational structure or leaders.
- The ban could have sweeping implications for LGBT people in Russia, despite the movement's non-existence.
- The ruling shocked liberal Russians, with independent media organizations showing solidarity with LGBT people by displaying the LGBT flag.
- The ban could force LGBT groups to operate in secret and be used against LGBT people, with unclear legal implications.
Quick Glance: Poland Boycotts OSCE Meeting Over Russian Minister
- Poland will not participate in an OSCE ministerial meeting in North Macedonia due to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov's invitation.
- Szynkowski vel Sęk will not attend the meeting or send any deputy ministers to the North Macedonian capital.
- The foreign ministers of the Baltic states have joined the boycott of the OSCE meeting.
- Several more foreign ministers have confirmed they will not attend the OSCE meeting in protest against Russia’s participation.
Extensions of the cease-fire were becoming more difficult to broker ...
'Nothing will stop us'
Quick Glance: Israel to Investigate Hamas Report on Kidnapped Baby's Death
- Israeli army to verify Hamas claim of three hostages, including a baby, dying in Israeli airstrikes.
- Hostages' family demanded immediate release and appealed.
- German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier visiting Qatar to discuss hostages.
Quick Glance: Comer Rejects Public Hearing for Hunter Biden
- Comer stated that Democrats would be 'yelling and screaming' at a public hearing with Hunter Biden.
- Over 10,000 pages of documents regarding Hunter Biden’s financial transactions with enemies worldwide have been obtained.
- Hunter Biden's attorney proposed a public hearing in response to a subpoena but was denied.
- Comer denied the request to make the December testimony public but offered to do so after the private deposition.
Quick Glance: Joe Flacco as First-Team Quarterback for Browns Amid Uncertainty
- The Browns may turn to their fourth quarterback of the season and consider a former world champion.
- Joe Flacco is taking reps as the first-team quarterback for Cleveland, as reported by Adam Schefter of ESPN.
Quick Glance: Taylor Swift Supports Beyoncé at Renaissance Film Premiere in London
- TMZ reports that Swift traveled from Kansas City, Missouri, to London to support Beyoncé’s Renaissance film premiere today.
- Fan footage shows her posing on the red carpet ahead of official photos. Beyoncé and Swift had their first big moment supporting each other’s concert films.
- Swift gushed about Beyoncé’s attendance on October 12 and shared a video of them together in the theater. She also announced the release of her Eras tour film.
Quick Glance: Lonely Elephant Mali Dies After 40 Years
- Mali, the elephant that lived alone in a Manila zoo for over 40 years, described by animal rights activists as 'one of the world's saddest elephants', died on Tuesday (Nov 28).
- Manila Mayor Honey Lacuna announced in a video message on Facebook that Vishwa Ma'ali - the elephant's full name - passed away at 3:45 pm.
- Mali was the star attraction at Manila Zoo.
- Mali was sent as a gift from Sri Lanka to then Philippine First Lady Imelda Marcos in 1977.
Quick Glance: Uganda Secures Spot in ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024
- Uganda secured their place in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 in the USA and West Indies with a convincing win against Rwanda in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier.
- This will mark Uganda's debut in a senior ICC World Cup.
- They will be joining Namibia from the Africa qualifier in the Men’s T20 World Cup 2024, which will feature 20 teams for the first time ever.
- Zimbabwe will miss out for the second time in three editions after losing to both Namibia and Uganda.
Quick Glance: US Thwarts Alleged Assassination Plot in New York
- An Indian national, Nikhil Gupta, was charged in connection with the plot.
- According to the indictment, he was allegedly instructed by an Indian government employee.
- The alleged target was not named in the indictment.
- The White House discussed the alleged plot with the Indian government at the highest levels.
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!