HAPPENING NOW: Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre hosts the White House press briefing. abcn.ws/2J0gebC
Quick Glance: Pence and Christie Criticize Trump at Campaign Launch
- Pence opens his bid for the republican nomination by denouncing former President Donald Trump.
- Pence accuses Trump of abandoning conservative principles and dereliction of duty.
- In January 2021, Trump's supporters stormed the US Congress in an attempt to thwart the certification of Joe Biden's election victory.
Quick Glance: Schumer: "It's wild" The United States was unaware of China's balloon programme until recently.
- According to a State Department spokesperson, China has previously flown similar surveillance balloons over more than 40 countries on five continents.
- The US military and intelligence are "focused like a laser" on gathering more information about the balloons, according to Schumer.
- When asked by host George Stephanopoulos whether the surveillance balloon programme should be discontinued, Schumer agreed that the Chinese government should "get rid of it."
- "I think the Chinese were caught lying, and it's a real step back for them," Schumer said.
Quick Glance: Jeffries responds to McConnell's claim of being a "election denier": "Hypocrisy is not a constraint to their behavior"
- I voted in favor of Donald Trump's election being certified.
- Last Monday, McConnell said Jeffries was a "election denier" who termed former President Trump's 2016 election victory "illegitimate."
- The Democrat called Trump a "fake president," according to McConnell, who also accused Jeffries of conducting "reckless attacks on our independent judiciary."
- Donald Trump is an election skeptic. Stephanopoulos, George Mr. Hakeem Jeffries Mr. Hakeem Jeffries McConnell, Mitch
Former President Donald Trump faced rebuke Sunday from officials in both parties after calling for ...
Quick Glance: Donald Trump in the Crosshairs of Criticism
- Trump's call to repeal the Constitution is met with opposition ahead of the US presidential primaries.
- Donald Trump has demanded the repeal of "all rules, regulations, and articles, including those in the Constitution."
- Illinois Republican Congressman Adam Kinzinger termed Trump's statement "crazy."
- Democrats were even more critical: Hakeem Jeffries, the new chairman of the party in the House of Representatives (minority leader), called Trump's statement on ABC's "This Week" on Sunday "strange and extreme" (in the original: "strange and extreme") and said Republicans must decide whether they want to continue to support Trump's anti-democratic views.
New to NewsWall?
Sign up now to get your own personalized news!