Quick Glance: 96-year-old US appeals judge suspended following unusual conflict over fitness
- Photo of Circuit Judge Pauline Newman from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, date unknown.
- Rarely does a public and contentious internal dispute over competency arise in the federal judiciary.
- Newman has defended her fitness and relies on the opinions of two doctors. She has filed a separate lawsuit in a Washington court to relocate or halt the investigation.
- Newman's attorney Greg Dolin alleges that the council disregards data, information, or opinions inconsistent with its predetermined goals and outcomes. The judge will challenge the order and pursue her claims in court.
Just a minute...: Die Steuerpläne von Italiens Regierungschefin Giorgia Meloni erinnern an die Wirtschaftspolitik der USA unter Ronald Reagan ...
The big mistake in America's terrifying debt: Just as inflation has eroded the value of the U.S. national debt, so too has it eroded the value of national wealth ...
Quick Glance: Trump tells DeSantis to give up the race at Florida event
- Trump claims he has an insurmountable lead over DeSantis and other GOP candidates at a Florida event.
- He suggests that the Florida governor should step down for the good of the party.
- Trump emphasizes that DeSantis was once his ally and sought his endorsement in his first race for governor in 2018.
Quick Glance: Ron DeSantis: Donors Demand End to Money Waste on Memes
- Leaked chat messages reveal DeSantis campaign creating and distributing controversial videos to influencers.
- Campaign staffer retweets video with Nazi symbol, produced by DeSantis team.
- Videos were meant to appear organic, but were internally produced and shared with influencers.
- Controversial videos lead to criticism and staff layoffs in the campaign.
Quick Glance: Celebrities Support Actors Strike
- Official actor strike: Hollywood's actors taking action.
- SAG-AFTRA announces strike after failed negotiations with AMPTP.
- Celebrities show support before the strike, attending last film premieres.
- Jason Sudeikis demonstrates solidarity on the @sagaftra picket line and is willing to strike for however long it takes.
Quick Glance: SAG strike disrupts films and shows beyond Hollywood
- Production on many shows already impacted by the US screenwriters strike in May.
- Now, with Hollywood actors joining the writers on union picket lines, studios have come to a halt.
- Filmmaker Shawn Williamson, founder of Brightlight Pictures, compares it to driving into a lot during Covid.
- The Canadian film and television industry heavily relies on American writers, actors, and studios.
Quick Glance: The Supreme Court's Impact: Overturning Roe v. Wade and Changing America
- Abortion is currently illegal in the state until further notice.
- Kristen Lyerly, an OB-GYN and abortion care provider, no longer practices in Wisconsin but instead works in Minnesota where abortion rights are protected by state law.
- The recent Dobbs decision caused an immediate halt in abortion care services.
- State constitutions often have stronger protections for privacy, equality, and bodily autonomy than the U.S. Constitution.
Quick Glance: US combat ship to visit Vietnam amid rare port call and South China Sea tensions
- The US nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan will make a rare visit to Central Vietnam's port city of Danang on Sunday.
- It will be only the third time a US warship has visited Vietnam since the Vietnam War.
- This year, the US is looking to strengthen its formal ties with Vietnam, as tensions between Hanoi and Beijing over boundaries in the South China Sea continue to rise.
- China claims almost all of the waters, including the exclusive economic zones of Vietnam and other countries in the region.
Quick Glance: Florida Grand Jury Joins Probe into Trump's Classified Docs
- Federal prosecutors are presenting evidence to a grand jury in Miami as part of the investigation into former President Donald Trump's alleged mishandling of classified documents.
- Several witnesses have testified before the Florida grand jury, with more expected in the coming days.
- The investigation previously relied on grand juries in Washington, D.C. It's unclear why the south Florida grand jury is now involved.
- However, a Florida court approved the warrant to search Mar-a-Lago, where Trump kept classified documents, and an assistant US attorney from Miami was present during the raid, according to CNN.
Recommended for you